Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

One New Baby Pigeon

Go down 
+6
EgypSwiftLady
priya
Tech
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
hk22045
10 posters
AuthorMessage
hk22045

hk22045

One New Baby Pigeon Empty
PostSubject: one new baby pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Thought i would share my event with you all, you might remember i found a small pigeon on my street that would not fly so i built a coop for her to keep her safe. A week later my neighbor told me there was a pigeon in his bushes that was sick or hurt. From all you fine people i was made aware of this twisted head syndrome that i treated with amoxicillan. (never thought to seperate them) Within 2 weeks i had one egg. (she never did lay a second one) Now about 4 weeks later i have a chick. I will photo document it for the next 4 weeks. and in that time i will build a much larger flight cage attached to the coop. Love the wonder of it all. Thanks to all for your greOne New Baby Pigeon Baby_p24at suggestions and concern.[center
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Very sweet. How is the bird with the twisted head, has it cleared up with the antibiotics?

Last edited by Matilda on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Precious picture, Fred. Smile
Many thanks for sharing it with us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:52 pm

hk22045 wrote:
Thought i would share my event with you all, you might remember i found a small pigeon on my street that would not fly so i built a coop for her to keep her safe. A week later my neighbor told me there was a pigeon in his bushes that was sick or hurt. From all you fine people i was made aware of this twisted head syndrome that i treated with amoxicillan. (never thought to seperate them) Within 2 weeks i had one egg. (she never did lay a second one) Now about 4 weeks later i have a chick. I will photo document it for the next 4 weeks. and in that time i will build a much larger flight cage attached to the coop. Love the wonder of it all. Thanks to all for your greOne New Baby Pigeon Baby_p24at suggestions and concern.[center

Feeling great Happy Dance Celebrate It's very cute... Happy Dance Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
hk22045

hk22045

PostSubject: twisted head update   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:10 pm

The male that i found with the twisted head was on amoxicillan and some homeopathic med (echeneccia and valarian) for 3 weeks. He started out with his head 180 degrees over, the top of his head on the floor, to being perfectally upright all the time now, I guess thats a 100% recovery, all due to you good folks sharing the cause and remedy with me. I am ever so gratefull Regards Fred
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 am

The pic of that pijjie is so cute I love it/them Glad to hear the other pigeon with the twisted neck syndrome is doing fine :Yes: Thank you Fred for caring for them and keeping it safe in a coop Thank You
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am

Fuzzy yellow babies always seem to make me smile! :Yes: Circle of Love Thrilled

Thanks for posting the photo Celebrate
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 am

ahhhhhh... Circle of Love nothing like a little fuzzy butt! I just love um!!! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

AZJourney wrote:
ahhhhhh... Circle of Love nothing like a little fuzzy butt! I just love um!!! That's too funny
Hahahhaha That's too funny ROTFL LOL LOL LOL FUZZY BUTT. I like that!
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

That's such a sweet story. It will be great to see how this little one grows up.

Circle of Love
Janet
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Fred, what a nice thread and such good news Smile
That's a wonderful photo, too.

Do your pijiis have names ???

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Ahhhhhhh - so lovely! Has lots of golden hair - very sweet. What a pity that this stage always is so short! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
hk22045

hk22045

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:25 am

Yep they have names, Over trhe years i have had a lot of pets, Raised Alaskan Graywolves for 20 years, Now its just me and two adopted cats (sisters and calicos)One outside ferel that comes by each day for dinner and stays to be petted then takes off on her rounds. Names are always fun to pick, Since i live on a street called Mount Earl , the first pigeon was called Earl except i did not know it was a female till i found the second one. He got named Sideways (small leap of the imaginatiion since his head was on upside down at first. Earl is still Earl even though she is now a matronley mother, and Sideways is a very protective mate with his head on straight now. So much for names.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 am

One New Baby Pigeon 164371 ...you choose names the way I do.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 am

hk22045 wrote:
Yep they have names, Over trhe years i have had a lot of pets, Raised Alaskan Graywolves for 20 years, Now its just me and two adopted cats (sisters and calicos)One outside ferel that comes by each day for dinner and stays to be petted then takes off on her rounds. Names are always fun to pick, Since i live on a street called Mount Earl , the first pigeon was called Earl except i did not know it was a female till i found the second one. He got named Sideways (small leap of the imaginatiion since his head was on upside down at first.

Earl is still Earl even though she is now a matronley mother, and Sideways is a very protective mate with his head on straight now. So much for names.

I named one of my babies Dolly and the sibling is Dumpling. As it turns out Dolly is not a hen. One New Baby Pigeon 279675
I swear he is paying me back big time as he is such a birdie brat in the aviary. Literally torments his grandpa to no end. Oh brother
Back to top Go down
hk22045

hk22045

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 am

GRANDPA like third generation? I better build a bigger coop
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 am

hk22045 wrote:
* GRANDPA like third generation?

** I better build a bigger coop

* Yep! Circle of Love
Mikko is Dolly's Grandpa and Malio is Dolly's Dad and the mate to Mikko's daughter, Sadie.

One New Baby Pigeon Three_11

** I might add Dolly and Dumpling were oops babies. I had replaced Sadie's eggs with artificial ones and she laid two more and I didn't realize it until I found 1/2 an egg shell across the aviary. One New Baby Pigeon 279675

We have 7 birds living in a 6 ft x 8 ft aviary.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:

** I might add Dolly and Dumpling were oops babies. I had replaced Sadie's eggs with artificial ones and she laid two more and I didn't realize it until I found 1/2 an egg shell across the aviary. One New Baby Pigeon 279675

That story sounds very familiar. :Yes:

Cindy they are beautiful.

Janet
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:22 am

jamy wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:

*That story sounds very familiar. :Yes:

** Cindy they are beautiful.

Janet

They were our only oops babies. Not to bad in 7and 1/2 years.
You can bet I'm scootin' my hand under the bellies more often since that happened. :That\\\'s so f

** Thank You Janet.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:40 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:

You can bet I'm scootin' my hand under the bellies more often since that happened. :That\\\'s so f

** Thank You Janet.

:lol!: I agree :Yes:
Back to top Go down
hk22045

hk22045

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Being a total newbie at this pijji business can someone tell me how often a hen will lay eggs? The age that a hen has to be in order to lay eggs and is there a accurate way to sex young birds. ? Regards Fred S
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 pm

A hen usually lays her first egg at about 6 months of age. I have one that laid her first at 4 months.
They incubate the eggs for 18 days and if the eggs hatch, the hen lays 2 more when the babies are about 10 days old.
If the eggs don't hatch and they abandon the nest, most hens lay again with in 5-7 days.
It's pretty hard to tell the gender of babies when they are young. Often though the hens will be smaller and just look more petite. The male birds have bigger heads...at least I think so. Mostly though, time reveals the gender.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One New Baby Pigeon   One New Baby Pigeon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One New Baby Pigeon
Page 1 of 1