Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Another baby....

Go down 
+11
NiteOwl
rattyfied
AZJourney
Jackie\'s Mom
Joyfulsongtree
Teresa
priya
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
ThePigeonKid
EgypSwiftLady
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Another baby.... - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

It will be interesting to see what Louise has to say.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:43 pm

So sorry for the delay in the posting. I just returned home. Thank you Charis for giving Robin the basic details.

I spoke directly with Dr. Hauck thismorning. Explained the condition with Precious' beak.

Dr. Hauck feels that it can be corrected, but that time is of the essence at this point. With Precious being now about 33 days old and not fully fledged the cartilage has not yet turned to bone. The beak is still soft enough to be corrected with pressure. By the time a pigeon is fully feathered it is too late to correct by any other manner other than surgery.

He suggests that the beak be taped at the tip into place and removed perodically to allow for feeding. The longer the pressure is on the beak in the proper position the faster it will correct. You must be careful that the tape does not interfer with the nostrils. His concern with this method is that it might cause stress to the baby which could cause complications. If her beak is to be taped she must be watched very carefully for any signs of stress.

The second method if taping is not possible is to hold the baby against your body, allowing her to feel secure and then holding the beak in place for periods of 10/15 minutes as often as possible during the day. The more amount of time that the pressure is exerted in the correct position the faster the correction will be accomplished.

I know that you have said that Precious holds her little mouth open like a Robin, but if you need to open her beak for reasons of feeding or medicating it is imperative that you open the beak from the front tip and feed directly from front to back. Shifting of the beak would only be counter productive to any and all pressure needed to shift her beak back into the correct position.

Dr. Hauck does not recommend trimming of the beak, as once it is started it becomes a lifelong procedure that will continually need to be done.

I hope this will help little Precious.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Very good information, Louise.
Again, many thanks for contacting Dr. Hauck to get his opinion of the situation. Great job
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 am

Louise thank you for contacting Dr. Hauck and the Dr. for so freely giving his help. I love it/them
Louise you are a special guarden angel to Precious Pigeon angel

I'm sorry to admit that with the weather getting warmer my time to sit And hold Precious' beak would be limited so I am going to try taping it.

Now my next question is what would be the best tape to purchase for this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:16 am

Try the blue painter's tape because it comes off easily and it's easy to cute into thiner pieces.
Bwecause the beak is still soft, this should correct very quickly. I'm thinking within days.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 am

I'm sending positive thoughts that all goes well, Robin.
Please do keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 am

Matilda wrote:
Try the blue painter's tape because it comes off easily and it's easy to cute into thiner pieces.
Bwecause the beak is still soft, this should correct very quickly. I'm thinking within days.

I'll purchase some today. :Yes:

Wow! Thats so fast! I was thinking at least 2 weeks!

I'll post photos of Precious all taped up for all her wonderful Aunties Circle of Love Happy
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
I'm sending positive thoughts that all goes well, Robin.
Please do keep us posted.

Thanks Cindy Happy Its so wonderful to have all the support Precious & I get from everyone here I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 am

Robin...........As you will have to remove the tape at numerous times during the day to allow for feeding, I would suggest whatever tape you feel is the easiest to remove. The key here for correcting the beak is pressure on the beak in the opposite direction of how it has now developed. If you feel that you could cut gauze in thin enough strips and tie it, you could try that as long as it holds the beak in place. It might take a bit of trial and error to establish what will work the best.

My biggest concern, as well as Dr. Hauck's concern is that Precious could become stressed while her beak is taped. A multitude of bad things could happen to her if this should happen and she is left alone. She will need to be observed very carefully during your first attempts with this. Although Dr. Hauck was very optimistic about this procedure, he also did state that there are some birds that will become so stressed that it would make this absolutely impossible to go forward with this procedure. That is why he gave the second recommendation of holding the beak in place if taping was rendered just to risky for the bird. This is an individual thing and you will have to make a judgement on how she reacts after your first attempt.

I know you are very busy with everything in the sanctuary and your time is valuable in getting everything ready now that spring is here for all the other animals. Is there any way you could bundle Precious up and carry her around with you in your shirt or a large pocket in order to keep a close eye on her????

Please let us know it goes.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 am

I agree with you Louise, the tapping thing will be trial and error until Robin figures out the best method.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:46 am

Jackie\'s Mom wrote:

My biggest concern, as well as Dr. Hauck's concern is that Precious could become stressed while her beak is taped. A multitude of bad things could happen to her if this should happen and she is left alone. She will need to be observed very carefully during your first attempts with this. Although Dr. Hauck was very optimistic about this procedure, he also did state that there are some birds that will become so stressed that it would make this absolutely impossible to go forward with this procedure. That is why he gave the second recommendation of holding the beak in place if taping was rendered just to risky for the bird. This is an individual thing and you will have to make a judgement on how she reacts after your first attempt.

Please let us know it goes.

Louise

Have no fear Louise I wouldn't even think about taping her beak & leaving her unattended :Yes:

I won't start taping her beak until later this afternoon so that I can get most of my outside work done. Then I can work in the house & keep her close. Happy
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 am

Good idea Robin and then you will know how she does with it. If all goes well, you can try leaving for short periods to see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 am

Continued positive thoughts being sent your way that all goes well, Robin. Another baby.... - Page 11 Drivin12
Back to top Go down
technocactus

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Another baby.... - Page 11 100_2011

I'm glad you all enjoyed the video Happy

Precious is doing so well because of all her loving aunties too! I may be the one doing the actual work but if it wasn't for the love & devotion of the people here Precious wouldn't be the happy baby she is. I love it/them

This is what greets me before each meal! Laughing

Precious is so adorable. Love & Kisses from Aunt Tech I love it/them Another baby.... - Page 11 789920 Circle of Love Another baby.... - Page 11 35455
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 pm

[quote="technocactus"]
EgypSwiftLady wrote:

Precious is so adorable. Love & Kisses from Aunt Tech I love it/them Another baby.... - Page 11 789920 Circle of Love Another baby.... - Page 11 35455

I'll deliver those to Precious :Yes: I love it/them
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm

I have tried 3 different kinds of tape... the blue painters tape, a surgical tape & the white bandage type. None are working 🇳🇴 Very sad

The problem being that between the nostrils & the tip of the beak were it crosses is such a small space so the tape doesn't have any surface to stick to. Another baby.... - Page 11 310554

Precious didn't seem to mind the tape being on her beak, it just wouldn't stay on.

Unless I can think of something else I guess we will be holding her beak in place.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Another baby.... - Page 11 106767 what about using a small cut piece of vet wrap... it may provide the non-slip surface that you need.. You'd have to cut it thin thou'!
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm

another Idea/thought For pictures I use what is called Museum glue... It is really like a sticky puddy..but removable((do you know what Im mean)) I wonder if you made a ball out of it and pushed it gently onto the end of her beak if it would hold it in place... I'll find an example and come back and post it.. Ill take a picture of what I have if I can't find some on the web.

Last edited by AZJourney on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

ok here is the link for the Museum Glue... It is actually called Museum Puddy..

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/code/255184.do?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-DecorativeHomeAccessories-_-2010-_-255217&code-macs=MP0WFGL&code=MP0WFGL

on this link zoom in on the precious moments figure and look at the small round dots on the bottom of the figurine.... .... You can get this at Michaels, Hobby Lobby.. It comes in handy for many things around the house too.

also another Idea/thought is Orthodontic Wax... You can buy it at Walgreens... and you could make a ball out of it as well and gently press it on the end of her beak!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:43 pm

AZJourney wrote:
ok here is the link for the Museum Glue... It is actually called Museum Puddy..

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/code/255184.do?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-DecorativeHomeAccessories-_-2010-_-255217&code-macs=MP0WFGL&code=MP0WFGL

on this link zoom in on the precious moments figure and look at the small round dots on the bottom of the figurine.... .... You can get this at Michaels, Hobby Lobby.. It comes in handy for many things around the house too.

also another Idea/thought is Orthodontic Wax... You can buy it at Walgreens... and you could make a ball out of it as well and gently press it on the end of her beak!

That might work! Good thinking, Jenn.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Yah... I think so too... It is wax..so it will stick and be a non-slip ... plus it should be able to hold it in place.... The Museum puddy is more pliable... SO I think The Ortho Wax.. is more....do-able.... :Yes:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Sorry the tape isn't working, Robin. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:35 am

I'll run this morning and get Ortho Wax...

I sure hope this works. :Yes:

Thanks Jenn I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 am

Robin...........So sorry the tape isn't working for you.

I hope the Ortho Wax works.

Louise Another baby.... - Page 11 789920
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
I'll run this morning and get Ortho Wax...

I sure hope this works. :Yes:

Thanks Jenn I love it/them

Me too! :Yes:
Let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another baby....
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next