Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Another baby....

Go down 
+11
NiteOwl
rattyfied
AZJourney
Jackie\'s Mom
Joyfulsongtree
Teresa
priya
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
ThePigeonKid
EgypSwiftLady
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

Another baby.... - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:30 am

Joyfulsongtree wrote:
Hi Robin and Precious' aunties !!!

Sorry I've been so absent - migraines have kept me away from the computer for a few weeks, but - not a day has gone by, Robin, without my thoughts of and prayers for you and little Precious! I love that video - she is just so...Precious!!!
I'm so happy that the Spartrix was effective, too - yay!!!

If you want to try one more type of tape, you might have a go with the green florist's tape...

Otherwise I have a suggestion - which might speed up the process of the hand holding method (depending upon where the source point of the misalignment is).
It would involve that her bill be held so that the top bill actually crosses over the bottom (just a little !!) in the opposite direction from how it crosses now, instead of it being held so that they're even. The theory is that once the bill is let go of and she relaxes it, it would tend to go back to the point midway between where you hold it and where it is now. This is based on how my dentist instructed me to realign my jaw.
The only problem I have with this suggestion is that I can't tell from the photos of Precious if it is the base of the mandible where the misalignment begins OR if it is just the tip that is is bent. If it is just the tip that is bent, than overcompensating by applying such pressure to the base of the mandible would not be a good idea.

Now I'll be thinking of you every time I'm working my jaw and as always, my loving thoughts and prayers for all success are with you!
Circle of Love

Oh Carol I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling up to par. Very sad One of my sisters suffers from migraines so I know what you must be going through.
Hugs from Precious & I Circle of Love We hope you feel better soon.

Precious' beak is crossed at the tip so your idea just might work Hmmm

I'm going to try one more type of tape, I hope this works because this is one of the busiest times here at the sanctuary & I'm afraid I don't have the extra time to sitting and hold her beak as much as I should. 🇳🇴

Thanks so much for your idea. Another baby.... - Page 13 142829 :Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 am

Jackie\'s Mom wrote:
Wishing you, Precious and Honee a safe and enjoyable trip.

Group hug

Louise

Thanks so much Louise Happy We had a nice relaxing visit. Happy
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 am

Another baby.... - Page 13 Precio14

Question>> Precious is now 40 days old but she still has pin feather on her neck & head, the rest of her body is nicely feathered out.
Is she still suffering from canker? or just slow in growing?

Does anyone have a clue????

I just want her to be healthy so she can grow & be happy.

Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Well you did treat her for canker recently and she was sparce with feathers around her face, so...it could be she is catching up after threatment.
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Joyfulsongtree wrote:
Hi Robin and Precious' aunties !!!

Sorry I've been so absent - migraines have kept me away from the computer for a few weeks, but - not a day has gone by, Robin, without my thoughts of and prayers for you and little Precious! I love that video - she is just so...Precious!!!
I'm so happy that the Spartrix was effective, too - yay!!!

If you want to try one more type of tape, you might have a go with the green florist's tape...

Otherwise I have a suggestion - which might speed up the process of the hand holding method (depending upon where the source point of the misalignment is).
It would involve that her bill be held so that the top bill actually crosses over the bottom (just a little !!) in the opposite direction from how it crosses now, instead of it being held so that they're even. The theory is that once the bill is let go of and she relaxes it, it would tend to go back to the point midway between where you hold it and where it is now. This is based on how my dentist instructed me to realign my jaw.
The only problem I have with this suggestion is that I can't tell from the photos of Precious if it is the base of the mandible where the misalignment begins OR if it is just the tip that is is bent. If it is just the tip that is bent, than overcompensating by applying such pressure to the base of the mandible would not be a good idea.

Now I'll be thinking of you every time I'm working my jaw and as always, my loving thoughts and prayers for all success are with you!
Circle of Love

Oh Carol I'm so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling up to par. Very sad One of my sisters suffers from migraines so I know what you must be going through.
Hugs from Precious & I Circle of Love We hope you feel better soon.

Precious' beak is crossed at the tip so your idea just might work Hmmm

I'm going to try one more type of tape, I hope this works because this is one of the busiest times here at the sanctuary & I'm afraid I don't have the extra time to sitting and hold her beak as much as I should. 🇳🇴

Thanks so much for your idea. Another baby.... - Page 13 142829 :Yes:

Robin, thanks for the hugs and good wishes - right back at you and Precious, too!

If Precious' bill only starts crossing near the tip, I wouldn't apply any extra pressure to the base of the mandibles (where the bill base meets her face). That could just cause a different misalignment. And since it seems like the tape would work out best for you anyway, I'll be praying for you to find a type that actually sticks -- and works!

As for my migraines, I just got more "auras" (a sign that one is coming) a little while ago again. Took meds quickly and managed to avert this one (have sunglasses on as I type :) But this means that I'll have to be mostly off the computer again until this bout has really resolved... at least I got to catch up some and touch base today a little.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:50 am

Joyfulsongtree wrote:
Thank you, Cindy! (And what pretty roses :) So far so good now... though a slight headache still lingers.

So if you don't see me much around, it's because I'm still on a bit of a "computer fast".

Best wishes,

We totally understand, Carol. :Yes:
We miss you lots, but priority is to get rid of those horrific headaches. YESS!! I've been there done that and sympathize with your tenfold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am

Matilda wrote:
Well you did treat her for canker recently and she was sparce with feathers around her face, so...it could be she is catching up after threatment.

I guess I'm just over cautious & worried that she will come down with something else. :eek:
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 am

I suspect her underlying issue all along was canker and you are wise to keep a close eye on her.
Have her mom and dad been treated yet?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 am

Matilda wrote:
I suspect her underlying issue all along was canker and you are wise to keep a close eye on her.
Have her mom and dad been treated yet?

Yep. :Yes: They are doing fine.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 am

Another baby.... - Page 13 100_2013

Yesterday was warm enough for Precious to spend some time outside while I worked.

Another baby.... - Page 13 100_2014

After breakfast Precious waits patiently for me to finish cleaning her cage.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:09 am

It looks like her beak is better...yes?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 am

His beak does look better........not 100%, but improved from the last photos. I wouldn't stop holding the beak Robin.......looks like it is doing some good.

Love little Precious' coloring.

Louise Another baby.... - Page 13 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

Precious is just adorable. I love the coloring too.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 am

Her beak still crosses at the very tip Very sad

I don't think we're going to be able to straighten out her beak anymore because the top beak is hooked and pointy on the end and since the botttom beak is longer & soft inside the top beak when held in the correct position rubs creating a sore on the inside bottom.

Today we are going to try and switch her to seed. :Yes: Maybe try the bottle feeding method. Happy
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:00 am

Even so, the beak looks a lot better than it did.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 am

The updated photos of Precious are just that 'precious'. She is just too cute for words. Tickled Pink

Her beak looks to be much improved. YESS!!
It may not get to 100% but I think she's at a point where she can eat and preen without any problems. Or at least it looks that way in the photo.

You and your husband have done a wonderful job with her, Robin. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
The updated photos of Precious are just that 'precious'. She is just too cute for words. Tickled Pink

Her beak looks to be much improved. YESS!!
It may not get to 100% but I think she's at a point where she can eat and preen without any problems. Or at least it looks that way in the photo.

You and your husband have done a wonderful job with her, Robin. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel
I agree Star quality
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 am

Incredible how the beak has improved! I really hope it will straighten still another bit. What a sweet little bird Precious is. My heart is melting for this little guy! I love it/them I love it/them I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 am

I absolutely LOVE this photo, Robin. I love it/them I love it/them

Another baby.... - Page 13 100_2010

I immediately thought of this little guy, who was born and raised on our patio a few years back. Tickled Pink

Another baby.... - Page 13 Aoi_wa10

Bless their little birdie hearts. The world out there must look incredibly huge to these little ones.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWp_FwPushk

Precious is now 49 days old and refuses to eat on her own. I have been handfeeding her thawed corn,peas & carrots plus pigeon seeds.

I push the foods around in her food dish or on the floor of her cage with my finger to try to get her interested in eating on her own but she doesn't care. The brat also refuses to drink on her own too!

I've never had a baby be this stubborn! I just DON'T get it

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
I absolutely LOVE this photo, Robin. I love it/them I love it/them

Another baby.... - Page 13 100_2010

I immediately thought of this little guy, who was born and raised on our patio a few years back. Tickled Pink

Another baby.... - Page 13 Aoi_wa10

Bless their little birdie hearts. The world out there must look incredibly huge to these little ones.

I love it: indy that is sooo cute! I love it/them

Thanks for sharing your lil' peeker too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:55 pm

I have NO idea ...the only thing I can think of is bringing in another pigeon tht she can watch and learn from.
I remember with Romey, she was nearly 2 months old before she was eating on her own. Another baby.... - Page 13 310554
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Robin............I've had the same problem with a few of the babies I have hand raised also. I had one that was still looking to be fed at 4 months old. Laughing

I found that the best incentive for them to eat on their own is hunger.........You must gradually start to cut back on the hand feedings, and the amount of formula/corn/peas. Feed her in the morning and withold hand feedings during the day. Make sure there is an ample supply of seed and water available in her cage all day. Then feed her again in the evening. During the day keep trying to peck with your fingers at the seed and dip her beak in the water dish..........sooner or later she will get it.

How is her weight?.........If she is still under weight for her age you wouldn't want to cut back too much on food........You'll have to use your judgement on just how much you can cut back.

I think Charis' idea of bringing in another bird that she could observe and learn from is an excellent idea also.

Lots of luck.........I know these spoiled little house babies can be quite determined in getting their own way Major Rant LOL

Louise
Another baby.... - Page 13 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm

That's right, Louise. There seems to be a window when it's very easy for them to learn on their own. In my experience the wondow is between 3-4 weeks. After that, it seems to take forever.
Little Beetle Bug, taught herself by watch mom and dad when she was just under 3 weeks. Now when Blue tries to feed her, she gives him a wing slap. Great job
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I agree, Louise. There does come a point when the 'tough love' is needed.
I think your suggestion with the feeding is right on. Another baby.... - Page 13 142829
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another baby....   Another baby.... - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another baby....
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next