Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

How much Calcium do you give your birds?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

How much Calcium do you give your birds? Empty
PostSubject: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 am

I would like to know how much Calcium do you give your birds? I supply them with grit with oyster shells, grounded eggshells (from chicken eggs) and now I have bought some pigeon stones, which are a conglomerate of 19% Calcium, 23 % Rotsteinchen (I think it is burned clay?), 93% crude ash, Phosphor, Natrium, jodine and herbs. I can crumble this and put it on their seeds.

I am not sure though if this is enough or even too much. PMV pigeons are said to have a higher need of Calcium but how much actually should I give them daily, weekly?

Plamenh recommended some time ago Santos Calicum tablets once a week in 1 liter water for their drinking pots. Should I add this too or rather not?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 am

Petra...it sounds like you are givng enough calcium and I wouldn't give more. Every living thing neds vit D to process the calcium and so I wouldn't worry about the pigeons that fly outside as they can get it from the sun.
I have oyster shell always available for my birds and they can eat as much as they feel they need.
At the recommendation of Dr. Frank. I bought a human suppliment of calcium with vitamin D. He recommended the lowest dose possible. I found one with calcium 500mg, vit D3 200mg, also with magnesium and zink. I give 1/8 of a tab to the hens that don't get sunshine, 1 time a week.
You may also be able to find an avian vitamine with D.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Petra,
I agree with Charis, it seems like your pigeons are getting a variety of calcium rich items.

Since my pigeons, Georgie and Elmo, are indoor pigeons I give them 'Calcivet' liquid calcium and Vitamin D supplement in their water 1-2 days a week (as written on the bottle).

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Mine get oyster shell grit. It's always available for them to eat as they feel the need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 3:35 am

Thank You circling Thank You circling Charis, Revati, Cindy - this is a good lead for me. I was wondering whether I possibly do too much and cause any damage this way.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 am

You can give too much calcium. Too much calcium manifests in the same way as not enough.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 am

That's why I was asking, Charis. When we love our animals we sometimes do too much thinking it is good for them! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
That's why I was asking, Charis. When we love our animals we sometimes do too much thinking it is good for them! Embarassed

Isn't that the truth! :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much Calcium do you give your birds?   How much Calcium do you give your birds? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much Calcium do you give your birds?
Page 1 of 1