Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Sick Feral with missing toe

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

Sick Feral with missing toe Empty
PostSubject: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Deja vu -- another sick feral showed up looking for help. He was walking & moving slowly and stumbling occasionally. He's missing a toe, but that might be an old injury. He was easy to catch, but resistant to examination. The inside of his mouth is grayish and so is his cere. Here are some photos:

Sick Feral with missing toe 9-1
Sick Feral with missing toe 9-2
Sick Feral with missing toe 9-3
Sick Feral with missing toe 9-4

He ate a lot but pooped a little. This is the crazy status almost four hours after I put him in his milk crate:

Sick Feral with missing toe 9-5

A few small droppings with a lot of white urate.

He only drank a little water.

Suggestions?

Last edited by jimc2000 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Is he thin?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Jim... I would treat him for canker, starting tonight.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:50 pm

The missing toe looks like a well healed old injury. Possibly a thread/string victim.

I agree with Charis to get him started on a canker med.

Sending best wishes to you both. Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Matilda wrote:
Is he thin?

Yes -- not emaciated, but thin.

Matilda wrote:
I would treat him for canker, starting tonight.

I have spartrex, 250 mg tablets of Fishzole and a brand new bottle of Meditrich (100mg.) Which one should I use?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Start him with 1/2 meditrich tonight and do the same for the next 4 nights.
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:03 pm

I gave him the 1/2 meditrich tablet last night. This morning he drank a bunch of water but didn't seem interested in food. He is becoming increasingly non-responsive. He has only eaten a few seeds throuought the day. My plan is to start force-feeding corn & peas. Is there anything else I should be doing?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Give him another 1/2 pill now. Does his crop feel like it is filled with fluid?
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:32 pm

[quote="Does his crop feel like it is filled with fluid?[/quote]

Checking now...
Back to top Go down
jimc2000
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Nope -- no fluid.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:56 pm

OK...no fluid in the crop.
If the bird were in my care and based upon what you have told us this is what I would do.
1.] 1/2 meditich [metronidazole 50mg] now and for the next 3 days
2.] before bed tonight, 1 appertex
3.] starting tomorrow morning, 1/4 of a baytril pill [12mg] and every day for 9 mornings
4.] in 10 days, 1 appertex
For the duration of treatment, medistatin as perinstructions in the insert.

In addition ...feed the bird defrosted peas 40-50 everytime the crop empties. Have food always available and plenty of water. It would be good to buy a larger see mix...pigeon mix would be prefered but dove mix is OK too. You can add dried peas, lentils,brown rice, chopped raw peanuts, small popcorn...all of which you may be able to find in bulk.
I hope that has the bird improves, he will start to eat on his own .
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Sending positive thoughts that things begin to turn around for your little patient, Jim.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:39 am

I received a private message form JIm over night. He asked that I let you all know that this little one passed on.
Jim and I spoke at around 11 last night and the bird had become more listless and so it wasn't looking good. Still, Jim remained positive and hoped for a turn around becauuse we all know that can happen. The bird passed at about 1:30 am.
I know you can all imagine how Jim feels...we all have been there.It always leaves me feeling so empty.
Jim...you are a hero. You did absolutely everthing you could. All the love and kindness you give these little hurt and sick pigeons that present themselves to you, will return to you 100 fold. I really believe that.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:51 am

I am so very sorry, Jim. Very sad

Thank you for doing the best you could. Pigeon angel
Rest assured he was able to take with him the memory of being in the loving care, and experiencing the gentle touch, of a human. Circle of Love A special gift so many never get. Disappointed

pigeon 1 "Bless you sweet one. May you forever fly free" Sick Feral with missing toe 35455
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:15 pm

I am very sorry Jim. At least he was not suffering long. Very sad
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) On behalf of some of this poor birdies extended family here at the Phipps house we wish him a safe journey over the rainbow bridge. It is the ones we loose that lead the others to us Jim... they are watching over their family and they know who their EARTH ANGEL is! Pigeon angel We can only do the best we can with the best we have! YOU do that EVERY time Jim! Sick Feral with missing toe Dove_r10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick Feral with missing toe   Sick Feral with missing toe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sick Feral with missing toe
Page 1 of 1