Pigeon Angels


 
RegisterFAQSearchHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Share | 
 

 Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 am

Welcome to Pigeon Angels and thank you for asking such a good question.

I've noticed flocks of pigeons doing the same here. My observation is that when startled or frightened, by a potential risk to their safety, they flee as a group. There is greater safety from predators in a group and so they stay together.
I believe pigeons circle, to see landmarks around them, so they know the location, before they landing on the ground.

Perhaps other members will have a different point of view.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 34
Location : Kent, UK

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 am

Hi, I agree with Matilda, I've often seen pigeon flocks do this. It only takes one nervous pigeon to take off at the slightest thing that may be a threat and the whole flock will follow. I guess their theory is that it is better to be safe than sorry. Since pigeons have better sight than us maybe they're seeing a threat that you cannot see. Hope this helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
feathers111



Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm

From what I've read, a pigeon will also make a clapping sound with her wings to signify danger to the rest of the flock.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Southern New England

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

This sudden "taking off" behavior at any sign of danger is something people want a pigeon to learn before they release them in a soft release. It's very important and could save their life. If they don't learn to take off with the flock, they could be dinner for some hawk or other predator. My ferals circle over my house when arriving, or if frightened into taking off. I always thought maybe they were checking out things for predators or something before landing. They will do this each time they take off, when returning.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:25 am

feathers111 wrote:
From what I've read, a pigeon will also make a clapping sound with her wings to signify danger to the rest of the flock.

You're quite right, there is a particular wing beat that has a clapping sound just before they take to the air. But I don't really know if that is a sign of alarm, or if conversely it corresponds to the first beat of a 'slow flight' by the first pigeon who got startled.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:27 am

Teresa wrote:
feathers111 wrote:
From what I've read, a pigeon will also make a clapping sound with her wings to signify danger to the rest of the flock.

You're quite right, there is a particular wing beat that has a clapping sound just before they take to the air.

But I don't really know if that is a sign of alarm, or if conversely it corresponds to the first beat of a 'slow flight' by the first pigeon who got startled.

I have heard the 'clapping' sound from some of my backyard flock when they take off, which appears to be a leisurely departure, not one of alarm.

The aviary birds on the other hand, especially Malio, will make a 'Hoo' Hoo' sound r(esembling an owl) when they feel something is amiss.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
feathers111



Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 am

Yes, the sound seems to depend not just on why pigeons take flight, but also how—slowly, quickly, etc.
I’ve noticed both intra- and interspecies listening: low-perching sparrows in my back alley, for example, will respond to the clap-flight of building-top pigeons and take refuge. And I’m guessing that the far-seeing, cliff-top rock doves have a long history of aiding other shore life. Because of their aerial perspective, birds are so often beacons for the rest of the animal community—a first warning of approaching danger. Whether this is conscious mutual aid or “instinct,” and how it evolved, is unclear. It’d be interesting to discover what range of understanding pigeons have in the languages of other birds, and how other birds have wittingly or unwittingly aided them in their survival.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 34
Location : Kent, UK

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am

You may be interested to read this article about pigeons and alarm sounds: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/09/02-02.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Southern New England

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:00 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Teresa wrote:
feathers111 wrote:
From what I've read, a pigeon will also make a clapping sound with her wings to signify danger to the rest of the flock.

You're quite right, there is a particular wing beat that has a clapping sound just before they take to the air.

But I don't really know if that is a sign of alarm, or if conversely it corresponds to the first beat of a 'slow flight' by the first pigeon who got startled.

I have heard the 'clapping' sound from some of my backyard flock when they take off, which appears to be a leisurely departure, not one of alarm.

The aviary birds on the other hand, especially Malio, will make a 'Hoo' Hoo' sound r(esembling an owl) when they feel something is amiss.



Yes. I think anyone with an aviary or loft knows that sound. It does sound like an owl, and my birds will do it when they are not happy with something. Mostly Bishop, who seems to be the Big Daddy of the loft. He is beautiful. All white, 661 grams. When he doesn't like what is going on, he will sit up in his top box and do that low pitched sound. Sometimes one will get the others into it. They are very interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Southern New England

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:06 am

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:
You may be interested to read this article about pigeons and alarm sounds: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/09/02-02.html

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
feathers111



Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:
You may be interested to read this article about pigeons and alarm sounds: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/09/02-02.html

Great article! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

feathers111 wrote:
Yes, the sound seems to depend not just on why pigeons take flight, but also how—slowly, quickly, etc.
I’ve noticed both intra- and interspecies listening: low-perching sparrows in my back alley, for example, will respond to the clap-flight of building-top pigeons and take refuge. And I’m guessing that the far-seeing, cliff-top rock doves have a long history of aiding other shore life. Because of their aerial perspective, birds are so often beacons for the rest of the animal community—a first warning of approaching danger. Whether this is conscious mutual aid or “instinct,” and how it evolved, is unclear. It’d be interesting to discover what range of understanding pigeons have in the languages of other birds, and how other birds have wittingly or unwittingly aided them in their survival.

This is very interesting, and relates closely to something else I've observed: if one of my local seagulls sends out a shrill cry of alarm, the whole flock of pigeons takes to the air.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:
You may be interested to read this article about pigeons and alarm sounds: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/09/02-02.html

Great article! Thanks, Revati. Thank You circling
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Southern New England

PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Doesn't it just make sense that one species of bird can recognize fear flight or panic in another species, and respond to it. Maybe it is a learned thing, or maybe instinct.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?   

Back to top Go down
 
Reasons about pigeons behavior.(why?) see details?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon Behavior-
Jump to: