Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL

Go down 
+5
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
Teresa
AZWhitefeather
Jackie\'s Mom
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 10:45 am

Welcome
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:03 am

OK, I administered the first dose of amoxicillin. Can't hurt her, hope is helps some.

I'm a little concerned with the crop thismorning. I fed her 20cc's at approx 7:00AM. She has not pooped yet and the crop appears full. I gave her 3cc's of warm water following the amoxicillin.

I carefully examined the throat again. I can see the canker almost completely blocking the throat.

I am so very concerned........this little one is really in a very critical state.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:07 am

Do you have her on a heating pad? Gently massage her crop every hour or so until it starts emptying. No more food until it empties.

[Louise...I know you know these things. The protocol is for future readers of this thread.]
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:13 am

Yes.....she has been on the heating pad since I brought her in yesterday. Problem is, it has an automatic shut off and you have to reset it every hour or so.

I did massage the crop after the warm water. I am not going to give her any more food. I woun't be home for the entire day until some time this evening. I pray she will be allright and that the crop will empty and she is pooping while I'm gone.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:43 am

SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 373410 Appears that the warm water and the crop massage is working.

She is pooping now.

I think that maybe the 20'cc was a little too much too soon for her. I will cut back to 15cc's at next feeding.

I'm leaving now and will update later tonight.

Louise
SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm

cheers ... Way To Go
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh the poor baby. I'm praying for you two to get through this. Would mixing applesauce in with the formula help?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:59 pm

I suspect the problem, in part, has to do with the heating pad turning off.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I know. Don't you love it when they change things for the better? Then they stop making the things the way they were before.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Thank you so much for the update, Louise! I'm delighted to hear that she's pooping alright and is looking better and more alert.
My thoughts are with you both! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks for the update, Louise. I'm glad to hear things are beginning to work again. SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 142829
I hope you are enjoying the day. You deserve it! flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:30 pm

I just returned home after being gone for almost 6 hours.

My little rescue pooped up a storm and her crop was completely empty. I just gave her the second dose of amoxicillin and fed her 15cc of kaytee and applesauce mixture.

She still is quite alert, but there is something definately quite off with this bird. After feeding she does all these very weird movements with her neck. It's like she is trying to swallow and is doing so in circles in her throat. I'm assuming it is from the canker blocking her throat, but it is so very weird.

It just breaks my heart watching her like this sitting all puffed up and listless.

Keeping her alive and getting her to Dr. Hauck on Tuesday can't come soon enough for me.

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Louise...I do think it's the canker causing her to act that way. She must feel very uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:15 pm

I think your assumption is correct, Louise. The canker must be doing a real job on that little one. Very sad

You are doing the very best you can. I know that doesn't always seem like enough, but rest assured, that sweet little pij appreciates your help. Circle of Love

Wishing your both a very restful night. Group hug
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 6:43 am

Poor baby Very sad Thank you Louise for all that you are doing for this baby Pigeon angel I am sure with all the care and love, she is going to recover very soon. Thinking positive thoughts and prayers SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 35455
The gentle crop massaging was new to me..didn't know that you could try that to help them empty the crop. Thanks for sharing this. As Charis said, it really helps a lot of newbies like us :Yes:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 7:11 am

How are things going this morning, Louise? flower
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:08 am

She now has a name. I am calling her Sweetie. flower

Sweetie made it through another night. Happy Dance

I think I am seeing a slight improvement thismorning. YESS!! She has started to show some resistance during her feeding thismorning. Not a big deal, but atleast I think a little of her strength is coming back.

I have changed her Flagyl dosage to 25mg in the morning and again at night. She had another dose of amoxicillin thismorning as well. She had a full 15cc breakfast of Kaytee/applesauce mix and is holding her food down and poopig well. After feeding I let her walk around on the kitchen counter for awhile. She managed to hop up on to the kitchen radio and perch. She is still doing some of the pengiun stance, and all the weird swallowing things with her throat after feeding. It breaks my heart to watch this Very sad . It really looks like she is havig a very difficult time.

She is back in her towell nest now, on the heating pad, she is still all fluffed up, but she looks comfortable.

Louise
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:28 am

Its wonderful to hear that she is doing better this morning. I love it/them

We will keep sending health prayers her way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:33 am

Ah...Sweetie is a good name for her, Louise. I hope you see even more of an improvement today.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 6:39 pm

Sweetie is a perfect name! I love it/them
Hope she continues to improve and finds it easier and easier to eat from now on!
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Dove right Sweetie Cute Dove is definately showing signs of improvement. Hip Hip Hooray

Had to bundle her up burrito style for her last feeding. Her energy level and alertness has definately increased.

I'm still having a problem getting her to swallow any more than 1/2cc of formula at a time. Not feeling well But she is getting a full 15cc's each feeding. She is still doing all the weird swallowing motions after feeding. The pengiun stance has just about stopped. She spends most of the time hunched down, fluffed up.

I gave her a warm bath, followed by a blow dry. Her feathers are in terrible condition and she makes no attempt at preening. Also she has not attempted to drink on her own.

These are baby steps toward recovery and I know this will take some time. Thankfully she is showing signs of improvement and we're just going to have to take it one day at a time.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:17 pm

She's in such good hands! Pigeon angel Circle of Love
All the best!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:19 pm

I'll be hoping for her full recovery, Louise. It's really encouraging that she's made it through the last couple of days.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Matilda wrote:
I'll be hoping for her full recovery, Louise. It's really encouraging that she's made it through the last couple of days.

I agree Charis.........when I found her I didn't think she was going to make it at all. She was so critical. She is far from out of the woods, but there have been encouraging signs.

As usual, thanks for all your guidance and assistance.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:28 pm

High 5 ...together we ar a good team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL   SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SERIOUSLY ILL FERAL
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next