Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)

Go down 
+4
Jackie\'s Mom
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
Teresa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Empty
PostSubject: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:35 pm

This evening I noticed a feral in the park with a very droopy wing and a bald patch on the back of her head. She was quite lively, running around and feeding.
Back home, I cleaned her head wound with dilute hydrogen peroxide and realised that the skin is partially detached from her skull, forming flaps that overlay the bald patch:

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) DSCNB6817-r550

Towards the front of the head there is extensive bruising, and on the right there's a cut about 1 cm long (don't know how deep), from which pus has been oozing. There was a down feather stuck in in -- I managed to remove it, together with some of the pus, before I took this photo.
There was no bleeding, or even dried blood. The injury must be at least 2 days old.

Then I examined her wing, and my heart sank. Her elbow joint is more swollen than any I've ever handled, and very hot. First I thought 'Salmonella', but on the underside it's possible to see a large, oval abcess, with the skin looking yellow in some places and greenish-grey in others. Disappointed I think there's also a fracture of the humerus.

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) DSCNB6820-cr550

I've got her on Metacam, Synulox and Flagyl (in case trauma causes an outbreak of canker). I haven't put her on a heating pad because I don't know the extent of her head injury.
I've got classes all morning tomorrow, but I'm taking her to the vet in the afternoon.

I've called her Abby. She's a brave little thing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Poor thing. Lucky bird that you caught her though.
I'll wait to hear what the vet tells you.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

What a precious little one. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 983488
I love the name Abby. That was the name of my first bird, which was a beautiful little parakeet. Circle of Love

She sure has a sparkle in her eyes. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 142829
Sending healing wishes, positive thoughts and a BIG Universal hug to you both.

Will be waiting anxiously, but patiently, to hear what the vet has to say. Wink

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Thank you both. I'll keep you posted.
My best guess is that she was clipped by a passing car.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Abby is one lucky little bird that you caught her Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766

I agree Teresa that she was propably clipped by a car.

The scalping, although it looks awful, should heal fairly well. My Jackie's head looked like that, it took time, but all her feathers grew back and you would never know she was scalped.

The wing area, as you have described and looks to be severly infected. I'm so glad you have her on the Medacam.......I'm sure that is giving her some relief.

Will be waiting to hear what the Vet says.

Sending healing thought and prayers your way. Circle of Love

Louise

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Jackie's Mom wrote:
Abby is one lucky little bird that you caught her Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766

* I agree Teresa that she was propably clipped by a car.

The scalping, although it looks awful, should heal fairly well. My Jackie's head looked like that, it took time, but all her feathers grew back and you would never know she was scalped.

The wing area, as you have described and looks to be severly infected. I'm so glad you have her on the Medacam.......I'm sure that is giving her some relief.

Will be waiting to hear what the Vet says.

Sending healing thought and prayers your way. Circle of Love

Louise

* That's what I was thinking. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:29 am

Abby had a restful night. She's a bit subdued, but doing Ok. She can eat and drink by herself, and though the first poop was quite liquid, the overnight ones are normal.
I phoned the vet and she has an appointment at 4 o'clock.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:05 am

Teresa wrote:
Abby had a restful night. She's a bit subdued, but doing Ok.
She can eat and drink by herself, and though the first poop was quite liquid, the overnight ones are normal.

I phoned the vet and she has an appointment at 4 o'clock.

Thanks for the update, Teresa.
I'm glad to hear Abby has a good night. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 142829 I hope you did as well. Smile
It's great that she can eat and drink on her own. Good sign!! Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 116281
We'll all be waiting to hear how the vet visit went. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:33 am

Bless her. I hope she heals okey. pigeon 1 Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 35455
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am

Abby is staying at the vet's overnight for treatment and observation.

The vet said that the head wound appears to be well cleaned and healing, so no immediate cause for concern.
The wing... that's another matter. It is definitely broken, as I feared, and the vet believes that the swelling was caused by the sharp broken bones 'stabbing' the surrounding tissues.
As for the nature of the swelling, the vet said that at worst it's an abcess, but it may also be an internal haemorrhage that only stopped when the skin would stretch no further and pressed against it. She's going to find out which of the two it is, X-ray the fracture and bind the wing.
I asked if amputation would be necessary, but she smiled and said, 'Let's see if we can save this wing first.'
It makes such a difference to have a great vet fighting your corner! Happy
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Teresa - sending my loving and healing thoughts for little Abby. She IS lucky to have you as her Pigeon angel . I really hope that you can help her as you did with so uncountable others. Her head looks awful but I think her infection is worse. But as she has good appetite this is a very good sign Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Teresa wrote:
Abby is staying at the vet's overnight for treatment and observation.

The vet said that the head wound appears to be well cleaned and healing, so no immediate cause for concern.
The wing... that's another matter. It is definitely broken, as I feared, and the vet believes that the swelling was caused by the sharp broken bones 'stabbing' the surrounding tissues.
As for the nature of the swelling, the vet said that at worst it's an abcess, but it may also be an internal haemorrhage that only stopped when the skin would stretch no further and pressed against it. She's going to find out which of the two it is, X-ray the fracture and bind the wing.
I asked if amputation would be necessary, but she smiled and said, 'Let's see if we can save this wing first.'
It makes such a difference to have a great vet fighting your corner! Happy

It sure does. You are very lucky.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 6:39 pm

This is a bit of a repeat, but for continuity's sake...

Teresa wrote:
The wing wasn't broken, it was dislocated: the humerus had been wrenched out of the elbow joint. It took the X-ray to reveal that. The vet says there is a small chance she may be able to use that wing again.

The swelling of the elbow was a hematoma and not an abcess. It acted as a cork to prevent further bleeding at the time. There's been no recent bleeding, not even when the hematoma was cleaned out.

Her wing has been treated and bandaged, and she's to have the bandage changed every week. In two week's time she'll have another X-ray to see how it's progressing.

This photo was taken when we got back from the vet's yesterday:

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) DSCNB6836-cr550

And this one was taken a few hours ago. Her head wound is healing well and there are no more signs of infection:

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) DSCNB6838-cr400

She's a model patient, a real sweet girl!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 6:49 pm

She has very unusual coloring. I sure hope she can fly again.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Many thanks for the original and updated report, Teresa. Smile
I'm glad to hear things weren't as severe as first thought for Abby.
Bless her sweet little birdie heart! Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 983488 Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 983488
Keeping fingers crossed that she will eventually regain use of her wing. Fingers crossed

Did the vet offer any thoughts on what she felt might have happened to Abby?
Wishing you both a very uneventful weekend. Universal hug

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:27 am

Thank you for your good wishes. Thank You
The vet agreed that the most likely cause was a close encounter with a moving vehicle.

She's back at the vet's today, because this morning she managed to sneak out of her dressing! Bad Abby! Laughing So I took her back to have the wing bandaged again, and the surgeon asked me to leave her there for the rest of the day to see if this bandage will stay in place or if they need to get more creative... Tickled Pink
I'm picking her up later.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thank you for your good wishes. Thank You
The vet agreed that the most likely cause was a close encounter with a moving vehicle.

She's back at the vet's today, because this morning she managed to sneak out of her dressing! Bad Abby! Laughing So I took her back to have the wing bandaged again, and the surgeon asked me to leave her there for the rest of the day to see if this bandage will stay in place or if they need to get more creative... Tickled Pink
I'm picking her up later.

They are crafty little ones. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 46723
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:12 pm

My good little girl is back home now, and yes, the vet had to get creative That's too funny because she slipped out of the bandage he put on her this morning! Oh brother

To take her to the vet (without the wing bandage) I needed to make sure her wing was comfortably supported, so I put her on what I call 'the pigeon snuggler' -- it's a shaped mattress, carved out of foam, which I use to treat the string injuries. She was so cosy and so happy in there, she didn't budge all the way to the vet's.
The proof is in this video, where she moves nothing but her eyes. Happy Dance

So when we got home I let her stay on the mattress, in the basket. Just added food and water dishes, secured to the lattice of the door, and she's as happy as anything, watching the people and the cats come in and out. Great job
She is so curious but so trusting! I love her to bits! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:16 pm

She is very precious. She does look very comfortable.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I love your 'pigeon snuggler', Teresa. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 142829
I hope little Miss Houdini doesn't get out of bandage this time. Shame on them
Such a sweetie. Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 983488

Keep us posted. Smile
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 6:21 pm

I can't blame her one bit for liking her pigeon Snuggler! I bet it feels like a soft hug! Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 395766

She is a cutie Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 983488 Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 pm

The pigeon snuggler is a great idea. She looks very comfy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)   Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Head and wing injuries (Beware, GRAPHIC)
Page 1 of 1