Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeon Behaviour Resources?

Go down 
+3
NiteOwl
Matilda
DanceBiscuit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DanceBiscuit

DanceBiscuit

Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Empty
PostSubject: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 am

Does anyone have any good web links or other resources to help me learn about pigeon behavior and psychology? I'm still very 'new' to pigeons and it would be very helpful for me(and any other 'newbies' out there)

thanks in advance!

flower
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 am

Honestly...I don't know of any, DanceBiscuit and that is one area that we hope to develope here.
Many of us have spent a great deal of time with pigeons and so there are things about behavior we just seem to know because of our interactions and observation.
Please feel free to ask us any questions you have. That would be fun for us.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 am

Yes, it would be fun. Unfortunately, don't think many have done studies on Pigeons in that way. Except of course those of us who just love the little characters. The best way you can learn of their behavior is by getting to know them, or by reading posts from others who keep them as pets. They really are fascinating little guys. So funny and so smart. And any questions you may post would be fun to compare the answers as to why our different pigeons behave in different ways.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Yes, it would be fun. Unfortunately, don't think many have done studies on Pigeons in that way. Except of course those of us who just love the little characters. The best way you can learn of their behavior is by getting to know them, or by reading posts from others who keep them as pets. They really are fascinating little guys. So funny and so smart. And any questions you may post would be fun to compare the answers as to why our different pigeons behave in different ways.

Yes it would.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:14 am

You can also pick up alot of pigeon behavior by just sitting and watching pigeons in the park as they interact with their flock. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 142829

Almost all of an indoor, pet, pigeons behavior is the same whether they are interacting with another flock member or their flock person. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766 That's too funny
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

* You can also pick up alot of pigeon behavior by just sitting and watching pigeons in the park as they interact with their flock. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 142829

Almost all of an indoor, pet, pigeons behavior is the same whether they are interacting with another flock member or their flock person. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766 That's too funny

* I totally agree, Robin. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766

I think it's great to share all of our 'pigeon behavior' experiences.
Pigeons are so like humans in that they each have their own personalities and habits. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
DanceBiscuit

DanceBiscuit

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:09 pm

I guess the problem is that 'new' people have a lot of catching up to do :) its good to get some common behaviour written out, knowing full well that there are individual differences.

The reason I ask is regarding the behaviour of two of my pigeons which I brought up on pigeon-talk. I would love your feedback on this as well:

Viktor, the tame pigeon I found, has taken a liking to Crixus, a pigeon I found who is missing a lot of flight feathers. Viktor spends most, if not all his time, at Crixus' side, and often preens him. Crixus, the feral rescue, however, tolerates the affection at best. What puzzles me is how Viktor will switch from angry head-butting mode to lovey face-preen mode.

I saw them kiss today, but again, they'll have moments where each is trying to claim a certain area of my room as their own, and just now they got in a little scrape where Viktor kept puffing up and headbutting him and lost a feather to the cranky feral.

If I keep the feral rescue caged, he and Viktor won't stop moaning and getting all cranky in front of each other,... when they're out together, they keep flipping from getting along to cranky turf wars.

I'm tired and got out of bed to post this, what can I do? The rescue will be stuck here for a good little while unless I can find someone else to care for him... And he doesn't seem to return Viktor's affections for the most part, but Viktor is smitten. He's gotten quite aggressive against me, too, which sucks.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

EDIT: since first posting this on pigeon-talk, I've quarrantined Crixus to a cage, and allow Viktor to continue to free-fly. Viktor, however, spends most of his time by his cage and they continue to occasionaly taunt each other. I'm also a little disapointed that Viktor has become more hostile against me whereas he used to spend a lot of time near me and would enjoy perching on my shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 pm

DanceBiscuit..........It sure sounds like Viktor and Crixus are becoming a mated pair. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766 One of them is male and one is most likely female. That's too funny Viktors changing attitude towards you is a reflection of his switch of affection to the other bird. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 983488 The turf fighting you are describing is most likely their trying to chose a nesting location. That you describe both of them moaning for eachother when seperated is typical of what they will do when they want to be together.

I would provide them with a little basket or box that they can use as their nest. Provide them with some timothy hay and some twigs and they will build a nest together. After they have mated there will be eggs. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766 I suggest you look into getting some dummy/fake eggs as you will need to substitue them for the real ones unless you are prepared to have them raise babies.

As you are new to this, it will be a learning experience for you. We are all Pigeon angel here for you to help and offer advice as needed. Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 395766

There is so much more that I could explain to you, but I don't want to overwhelm you in this post. I just want to reassure you that the behavior you are experiencing with these two birds is completely normal. These birds are amazing little creatures and will never cease to surprise and amaze you. You will learn as you go along.

I think what you have done for all your rescues is extraordinary Way To Go YOU rock Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 116281 Don't be afraid to ask.........there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Louse
Pigeon Behaviour Resources? 789920

Last edited by Jackie's Mom on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
taylor-bird

taylor-bird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:38 pm

I've had similar behavior between my pigeons too, I've had a pair, mated for life, loved each other but sometimes would peck or wing-smack and keep apart from one other for a few days, but then I'd go out to feed and they would be puffed up preening each other.. I've also had a pair of two males. They would go thru all the motions, preen, kiss, mate even build a nest and sit on it.
It's also important to know some things certain males do, it's not all of them, but some males, the day the female is to lay her egg, he will chase her around, sometimes pecking her on the back of the head. He does this to get her back into the nest and will generally stop as soon as she's near the nest. He will stop as soon as the eggs are laid.
So sometimes it is difficult to explain, watching them is the best way to learn anything since each pigeon has it's own personality. I've had pigeons now for over 15 years and am still learning from them Smile
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Gee, that's funny, because I read the behavior differently. I'm having the feeling that perhaps they may both be males. I could be wrong, but you mention that they have had fights over a favorite perching place. That to me, sounded like two males. Could be that Victor is wanting a mate. I could be wrong, and maybe one is a female, but normally the female will give way to the male, and let him have the perch. And yes, I have mated pairs that can get annoyed and peck at one another on occasion, but not normally have a fight. Usually the female will back off, especially when she is in an area where she can just fly away. It would be interesting to bring in a for sure female, and see what happens.

Also, you said that Victor is the pursuer, and that Crixus is just tolerating his attentions. Either I think that they are both males, or Victor is not Crixus cup of tea. I could be wrong. Maybe you need to let them out at different times. Victor should get used to being caged, as you never know when for whatever reason, he may need to be confined.

Now watch someone have an egg, and that'll answer the question as to male/female, or male/male. I have been known to be wrong.

Last edited by NiteOwl on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
taylor-bird

taylor-bird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:06 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

Now watch someone have an egg, and that answer the question as to male/female, or male/male. I have been known to be wrong.

Haha that's the best way to find out! Laughing
(They do sound like two males to me too though.)
Back to top Go down
taylor-bird

taylor-bird

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I just saw another of your posts that showed a photo of the two birds, and now I see why you are confused haha! That does look like male/female behavior, but sometimes could be a submissive act as well. I'm sorry I am not much help, it's hard to tell unless you add in a pigeon you KNOW is 100% female and see their reactions haha
Back to top Go down
DanceBiscuit

DanceBiscuit

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Pigeons are incredibly mysterious birdies Cute Dove
Well Crixus' flight feathers are coming in surprisingly quick, so its only a matter of time before he's able to be released...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Behaviour Resources?   Pigeon Behaviour Resources? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeon Behaviour Resources?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon and Dove Chit Chat-
Jump to: