Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP

Go down 
+3
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
Jackie\'s Mom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Empty
PostSubject: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 pm

I had the weirdest thing happen this evening. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 279675

This afternoon before I was leaving my house I went outside to make sure the ferals had fresh water. Noticed a bird, not looking well, Not feeling well crouched behind the palm tree. I attempted to catch it, but it flew up to the roof. Dove right When I returned home around 5:00PM, checked and the same bird was sitting fluffed against my rear wall. Attempted again, but, no luck, he/she went back up to the roof. Dove right

Around 7:30PM I went outside, just at dusk, to ckeck if all my steady ferals were in their normal roosting spots and saw the same bird sitting fluffed up on the roof. I stayed outside on the patio for about 10 minutes while the dogs did their business and then opened the patio door for me and the dogs and went in. When I turned to close the door behind me, to my shock Shock there was the ill bird standing right behind me at the edge of the door.

This bird must have figured that this was his last chance for help and he just stood there as I gently picked him up. Circle of Love These pigeons are sooooooo smart, it just amazes me how they know where to go when they need help. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 395766

The bird is seriously ill Not feeling well Severe canker......there is a lump protruding about an inch on the side of his neck. Opened his beak and it smeels like dead fish YUK ......see some small leisions in the mouth, but the bulk is way down and massive as I can feel how much is inside by feeling the lump on the outside of the neck. He/She is still fairly alert, but now standing in the pengiun stance position.

The bird was having difficulty swallowing, but I was able to hydrate him with a few cc's of honey/water. I administered 0.3ml Cipro suspension and also gave him 50 mg Flagyl. He is settled in comfortably for the night.

I will be calling Dr. Hauck first thing in the morning and hopefully will be able to get an appointment for sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed I am quite concerned by the size of the lump protruding from the side of the neck.

Louise
ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 789920

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm

You are so right, Louise, in that these little guys definitely know where to go when they need help. They may not take the offer right off, but eventually they put down their defenses, just as your little rescue did. Bless his heart. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 983488

I will be thinking positive thoughts that you are able to get a handle on the canker. Bless your heart too. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 983488 Pigeon angel

I hope you two are able to visit Dr. Hauck tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 pm

The bird is in good hands now ... you know just what to do. Smart bird...lucky bird you are there. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
technocactus

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 am

ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 735397 ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 35455
Two angels met...Lady Louise and the ill pigeon.

Bless both of you.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

This little one made it through the night ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 395766

Little change this morning........standing in pengiun position or sits all fluffed with eyes closed. Not feeling well Poops are liquid and starvation bright green. This one is almost exactly the same as Sweetie was with the exception of the large lump in the neck.

I administered second dose of Flagyl and Cipro and managed to get 8 cc of a very liquid kaytee/applesauce/yogurt mixture into the bird. The bird is having a difficult time swallowing. I can only get about 0.5 cc at a time into the bird. I will thicken it a bit as the day progresses. I would like to see some solid poops starting to form.

Called Dr. Hauck's office. I forgot Oh no that Dr. Hauck is off on Thursdays. The other Vets were available, but I don't feel they would be doing anything different then what I have already started. I have so much more confidence in Dr. Hauck. Circle of Love

I have an appointment with Dr. Hauck for 3:00PM tomorrow. I know he will add Sparix to the meds.......I'm out of them right now, and he will give me some. As long as I can get his opinion and evaluation before the weekend I feel comfortable with waiting until tomorrow.

Will update later.

Louise
ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am

Flagyl works wonders and often quickly. Hopefully it will buy some time until you can get the bird to Dr Hauck tomorrow.
Sending postive thoughts your way, Louise. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 983488
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 7:05 pm

It is with so much sadness Very sad Very sad Very sad that I have to report that this little one didn't make it.

She seemed allright when I left the house around 10:00 this morning. When I returned home around 2:00PM I had found that she had passed.

I have lost so many this summer to this awful sickness called canker. I wish there was more I could to do to save them. I feel terrible about this.

My only consolation is that she died in her little towell nest and was not eaten alive outside by one of the feral cats.

pigeon 1 ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 983488 FLY FREE AND HIGH LITTLE ONE ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 983488 ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 35455

Louise
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Louise...that is so sad. I'm very sorry that you are going those the feeings of again.
I know you did everything you could and that dear little soul appreciated you. That flock knows that YOU are their Guardian Angel. Every flock should be so blessed.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I am so very sorry, Louise. Sending you a BIG Group hug
Bless you for everything you do for your feral flock.

I know they love you LOTS!!
ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 23878

pigeon 1 "May you forever fly high and fly free sweet little one" ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 35455
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 am

I too am so very sorry that this little one passed Very sad Disappointed

Just remember that you did everything you could to help this baby. Sometimes all we can do
is ease the suffering a bit and give comfort til they are called to heaven.

Like Charis mentioned you are the flocks Pigeon angel .

Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 am

Thank you all for the kind words. Circle of Love

I just wish there was more I could do to save them.

I spotted another ill bird in the feral flock this morning Not feeling well They all start out with the same symptoms. They stand in a semi-pengiun position, with necks stretched and opening their beaks trying to swallow. At this point they are still strong enough to fly away and are impossible to catch. By the time they become grounded and I am able to catch them, unfortunately it is usually too late Very sad

I am looking into purchasing a flock treatment. They are now all drinking in the back yard as well........I need to treat the water and hopefully can help them in greater numbers. If I can treat this canker in the early stages I know they will have a better chance.

Louise ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 23878
Back to top Go down
technocactus

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:56 am

That little angel passed away peacefully in a solemn place, not outside.
She knew where to finally rest. ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 735397 ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP 35455
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Louise, I'm so sorry the little one didn't make it! Very sad God bless you for all you did to try to save him.
I hope you manage to get the water treatment, and that it will be a big help to the flock.
Circle of Love Circle of Love Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your ferals, Louise.

The water treatment will be good. In the meantime you might put some ACV in the water, if you haven't already done so. Just a thought.

I will be thinking good thoughts for you and your flock. Universal hug

Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 am

Louise - I am very sorry about this loss again. Very sad I know this feeling when you try to help and everything is in vain. One feels so helpless, disappointed and lost. At least the little angel went in peace in an envrionment where it was loved and be it only for a very short time.

pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP   ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ILL BIRD CAME TO THE DOOR FOR HELP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: