Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
spdevanand
6 posters
AuthorMessage
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Empty
PostSubject: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:20 am

Hey Guys,

Yesterday, I and Priya found a baby pigeon which would be around 35 days old. The baby was not able to fly well, when we approached it, it was not scared and just looking at us Smile We searched around, could not find any other birds and the weather was getting too bad, so we decided to pick up the baby and its now with me.

I already have three birds with me and do not have enough space to keep the new bird permanently Very sad This baby does not to eat or drink on it's own, I am handfeeding it. If everything goes well, I would want to release this bird when it is safe. So I need your suggestions on how I can care for this baby so that he or she does not become human friendly. I am scared that if the bird gets comfortable with human, then it can invite additional troubles after it is released.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 7:04 am

Hi Dev, Hi there/Bye
At 35 days old the baby should be able to eat on his own, or at least working on it. So hopefully it won't be to hard to get him to an independent state.

In addition to you hand feeding, I would suggest placing some seeds in front of him and pretend to pick them up. He will get curious and start to mimic you.

The best results I've had with a little one that is releasable is to pay as little attention as possible to them.
If he isn't ill or injured, rather just needs a little help getting started, then I would feed, water and clean his cage and that's it. I know it's hard to do that because they are just so darn cute, but it really is in their best interest. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:58 am

Dev.........I would make sure the baby can see and observe the other birds. They learn by example and by just watching them eat, he should start self feeding. Also he will be able to identify with other pigeons when released.

Louise
How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 789920
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

I seem to remember that you have a flock you already feed. That flock would be perfect to do a soft release with your new rescue.
Given this bird is older, I wouldn't worry so much about the bird becoming too tame. They do tend to wild up quickly when placed with their own kind, such as the feral flock you feed.

If the bird was in my care, I would treat for canker and coccidia prior to release.
Back to top Go down
spdevanand
Special Pigeon Angel
spdevanand

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Hi Dev, Hi there/Bye
At 35 days old the baby should be able to eat on his own, or at least working on it. So hopefully it won't be to hard to get him to an independent state.

In addition to you hand feeding, I would suggest placing some seeds in front of him and pretend to pick them up. He will get curious and start to mimic you.

The best results I've had with a little one that is releasable is to pay as little attention as possible to them.
If he isn't ill or injured, rather just needs a little help getting started, then I would feed, water and clean his cage and that's it. I know it's hard to do that because they are just so darn cute, but it really is in their best interest. Wink

Thanks Cindy. The bird is not very good at eating, I donno why though. As of now I am handfeeding him but I am sure within next few days he would learn how to eat. I have kept him in a cage and placed the cage in the same room as where my other two birds (Mito & Sia) are kept, this would allow the baby to watch the adult birds eating and their behavior. I also thought that by listening to Mito & Sia's coo-ing sound, this baby would feel that he is surrounded by other pigeons.

I agree with you, baby birds are extremely sweet, I am having tough time holding myself from this baby.

Jackie's Mom wrote:
Dev.........I would make sure the baby can see and observe the other birds. They learn by example and by just watching them eat, he should start self feeding. Also he will be able to identify with other pigeons when released.

Louise
How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 789920

Thank you Louise, I have Mito and Sia who are around 1.5 years old birds and this baby is placed in the same room as they are. I am sure this baby is already observing Mito & Sia. Hopefully he starts learning soon Smile

Matilda wrote:
I seem to remember that you have a flock you already feed. That flock would be perfect to do a soft release with your new rescue.
Given this bird is older, I wouldn't worry so much about the bird becoming too tame. They do tend to wild up quickly when placed with their own kind, such as the feral flock you feed.

If the bird was in my care, I would treat for canker and coccidia prior to release.

You are right Charis, I am feeding the feral pigeons regularly. How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 23878 There are more than 50 of them coming everyday. All thanks to Priya and you folks for motivating me to do that Smile I will definitely consider releasing it here, just worried that this baby bird can get adjusted to the new place. We actually found this baby near Priya's Apartment and there are a lot of Pigeons there too. But a soft release at her place would be little difficult because she stays far from my place and I would not be able to train the bird at her place before releasing Very sad

I will take care of the medications in few days. Just giving it sometime to settle down at the new place Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Wishing you the best with your little rescue, Dev. Circle of Love
Please do keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 am

This newest addition is a total doll How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 983488 How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 983488 very sweet Smile
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:07 am

Dev...it would be perfectly fine to do a soft release at your place. By this point, it's likely the bird's parents are taking care of new babies and won't acknowledge her anyway.

I would start the canker treatment because it could be that internal canker is a playing factor in the baby not eating on her own.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Matilda wrote:
Dev...it would be perfectly fine to do a soft release at your place. By this point, it's likely the bird's parents are taking care of new babies and won't acknowledge her anyway.

I would start the canker treatment because it could be that internal canker is a playing factor in the baby not eating on her own.

I totally agree on both counts.
After helping little Charlie to learn to eat on her own and fly, I thought it would be best to release her in her flock's territory, but a day later she was back here and foraging with my feral flock. They do adapt to a new flock very easily at that age.
About the canker and coccidia, I too think sooner is better than later, especially in relation to treating for cancer. A squeaker that age that isn't making any effort to eat on her own may well be ill, and canker is usually a main factor. There are many occurrences at the moment of severe cases of canker worldwide, most of which end up being fatal, and thay all involve squakers infected with canker while they were still in the nest.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 3:38 am

Hi all Hi there/Bye just thought i would update you guys on Tootie (the name we've kept for her :) )

Dev's been very busy the past week with his MCA exams. He'll be free by coming Tuesday, so he didn't get a chance to update.

Tootie is improving a lot since we found her. Day before yesterday Dev thought of letting her free in his room to see what she does and how his other pigeons react to her. She flew and sat on the loft. Mito and Sia were very curious to check her out That's too funny We felt very relieved when they didn't peck her as we thought. But they sat on either side of her and kept staring at her. Mito kept scaring her though by lots of cooing. Tootie starts squeaking and flapping her wings the moment Mito comes any where close to her.

Dev couldn't catch Tootie the whole day after that. She just sat at the far corner of the loft and refused to come down. Dev couldn't reach out to her. So he waited till it got dark and then caught her. The good news is...the moment he got her down, Tootie was so famished with hunger and thirst, when she saw the water bowl, she started drinking on her own! How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 116281 She drank quite a lot.
Then Dev put some seeds for her and she pecked and ate around 20-25 of them on her own. We were very happy to see this development. So looks like when she was pushed to the point she learnt the trick how to eat.

Today again Dev has left her free in the room. He has gone for his exams. He'll give me the updates in the evening. Will keep you guys posted.

I agree on treating her for canker and coccidia How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 395766
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 am

We so appreciate the update, Priya. How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 395766
I'm thrilled Tootie is doing so well and finally eating and drinking on her own. YESS!!
You're right, sometimes it takes something surprising to get our little feathered friends to take charge. Great job

Will be thinking positive thoughts and wishing you the best of luck on your test, Dev. Fingers crossed

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:45 am

That is a great update, Priya! Thanks for letting us know. Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 am

Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled Way to go, Tootie!
Thanks for the update, Priya, it's wonderful to hear such good news! Celebrate

GOOD LUCK WITH THE EXAMS, DEV! How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 397479 # 1
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 am

Latest on Tootie: reached home and saw that again today she stayed put on the loft and didn't come down to eat/drink. After he caught her and got her down and then showed the food, she gobbled them up on her own. I think slowly she will get the hang of it.
Also it is good that Mito and Sia are not very hostile towards her.

Haha Dev is a harried man with his exams How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 397479 How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? 397479 That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?   How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to care for a baby pigeon that needs to be released?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Baby Pigeons and Doves-
Jump to: