Pigeon Angels


 
RegisterFAQSearchHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Share | 
 

 Pigeon Control Resource Centre

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 am

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Great article! Mountains of information and illustrations, very good for reference work. I only read a part of it, and 2 hours have gone...

I have a question about pigeon spikes, though. They say that pigeons are intelligent, wouldn't land on them, and therefore there's no danger. But what happens when they fight, get chased by predators, etc? Surely they can get harmed if they fall or get pushed onto them... I've also read accounts of injuries caused by spikes, but I have no first-hand experience of this. Have you?
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2009-07-14
Age : 22

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Whoa, I couldn't even read all of that. Boatload of information, that.

I agree about the spikes, tho. I've seen my birds being pretty clumsy when they get bullied. I wonder if they could make them safer for clumsy pidgies by making ones with blunt, rounded tips. Would still keep them from landing but wouldn't injure them if they crashed on them.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Teresa wrote:
Great article! Mountains of information and illustrations, very good for reference work. I only read a part of it, and 2 hours have gone...

I have a question about pigeon spikes, though. They say that pigeons are intelligent, wouldn't land on them, and therefore there's no danger. But what happens when they fight, get chased by predators, etc? Surely they can get harmed if they fall or get pushed onto them... I've also read accounts of injuries caused by spikes, but I have no first-hand experience of this. Have you?

I think they are dangerous too.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Teresa wrote:
Great article! Mountains of information and illustrations, very good for reference work. I only read a part of it, and 2 hours have gone...

I have a question about pigeon spikes, though. They say that pigeons are intelligent, wouldn't land on them, and therefore there's no danger. But what happens when they fight, get chased by predators, etc? Surely they can get harmed if they fall or get pushed onto them...

I've also read accounts of injuries caused by spikes, but I have no first-hand experience of this. Have you?

I don't have any personal experience either, Teresa, but I have also read some sad stories about pigeon encounters with them. Very sad

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 1526
Join date : 2009-10-23
Location : Wisconsin

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 am


They are very dangerous and as far as I'm concerned inhumane! Major Rant

I have also read about pigeons being impaled by them.

I would have thought that in this day & age of animal rights someone would come up with a better idea that won't in flick bodily harm to keep pigeons from roosting in certain spots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 34
Location : Kent, UK

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Some good info - well researched, however, I agree about the spikes. They are dangerous. I'll have a proper read through the website later (getting late now over here) and see how pigeon friendly the company is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I believe this site is PiCAS .
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Matilda wrote:
I believe this site is PiCAS .

It's very disappointing to see them supporting the use of spikes. I also remember one of our members, Pigeon, speaking very strongly against all methods of pigeon population control, whilst being in favour of spikes as perching deterrents.

Personally I couldn't see how metal spikes could be considered safe, and looked for alternatives in the article. There were some of a different composition (a type of plastic, maybe?) but the metal ones were supposed to be best. Your opinions confirmed my concerns. We are still a long way away from the perfect solution.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 34
Location : Kent, UK

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:57 am

Matilda wrote:
I believe this site is PiCAS .
I think this site is PiCAS: http://www.picasuk.com/index.html
I don't know their opinion on spikes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Maybe this is    Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:39 pm

The following from the article caused my confusion...



So what is the answer?
An organisation called the Pigeon Control Advisory Service International (PiCAS International) pioneered a method of controlling feral pigeon populations that not only deals with the main problem associated with pigeons, the soiling of buildings, but also reduces pigeon flock size humanely and effectively via birth control. The system is discussed in detail in the Artificial Breeding Facilities document that can be found in the Product Review Section. The system is simple and inexpensive to set up and maintain and results in a massive decrease in pigeon flock size if implemented as recommended. The system is now used to great effect in many European countries and some users of the system have even suggested that the degree of control gained over pigeon flock size by this option negates the need to restrict the feeding of pigeons . However, even if a holistic and sustainable control system of this type is initiated, there is a clear need to reduce the use of lethal controls and stop the irresponsible feeding of feral flocks.

Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 357
Join date : 2010-01-13
Age : 34
Location : Kent, UK

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Matilda wrote:
The following from the article caused my confusion...

So what is the answer?
An organisation called the Pigeon Control Advisory Service International (PiCAS International) pioneered a method of controlling feral pigeon populations that not only deals with the main problem associated with pigeons, the soiling of buildings, but also reduces pigeon flock size humanely and effectively via birth control.

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean.

I've been meaning to read up on this type of pigeon population control and write about it for my blog, but never seem to get my act together. But it is all very interesting.

The website states that what PiCAS are doing is setting up Artificial Breeding Facilities (Dovecotes & Pigeon Lofts) (http://pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/reviews/artificial-breeding-facilities.html):

"The use of artificial breeding facilities (ABFs) such as dovecotes or pigeon lofts as a method of pigeon control is becoming increasingly popular in Europe with many users experiencing astonishing results. This control was pioneered by the Pigeon Control Advisory Service (PiCAS International) in the 1970s as a means of humanely and naturally controlling pigeon flock size without the need to resort to invasive and ineffective lethal controls. "


Just had a look at PiCAS's website and yes, they do advocate using spikes.

To be honest, if they are dangerous and a problem to pigeons then I think we'd see pigeons or other birds impaled on them. They do look dangerous and very sinister, but I've seen photos of pigeons nesting amongst them, so even though I wouldn't personally use them (I just wouldn't want to risk it) I don't think they are as big of a threat as other anti-pigeon devices.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Mrs.AviatorRodent wrote:
Matilda wrote:
The following from the article caused my confusion...

So what is the answer?
An organisation called the Pigeon Control Advisory Service International (PiCAS International) pioneered a method of controlling feral pigeon populations that not only deals with the main problem associated with pigeons, the soiling of buildings, but also reduces pigeon flock size humanely and effectively via birth control.

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean.

I've been meaning to read up on this type of pigeon population control and write about it for my blog, but never seem to get my act together. But it is all very interesting.

The website states that what PiCAS are doing is setting up Artificial Breeding Facilities (Dovecotes & Pigeon Lofts) (http://pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/reviews/artificial-breeding-facilities.html):

"The use of artificial breeding facilities (ABFs) such as dovecotes or pigeon lofts as a method of pigeon control is becoming increasingly popular in Europe with many users experiencing astonishing results. This control was pioneered by the Pigeon Control Advisory Service (PiCAS International) in the 1970s as a means of humanely and naturally controlling pigeon flock size without the need to resort to invasive and ineffective lethal controls. "


Just had a look at PiCAS's website and yes, they do advocate using spikes.

To be honest, if they are dangerous and a problem to pigeons then I think we'd see pigeons or other birds impaled on them. They do look dangerous and very sinister, but I've seen photos of pigeons nesting amongst them, so even though I wouldn't personally use them (I just wouldn't want to risk it) I don't think they are as big of a threat as other anti-pigeon devices.


I do agree with you and the site, other than the spike recommendation, has some very good information.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
avatar

Posts : 5381
Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Matilda wrote:
I do agree with you and the site, other than the spike recommendation, has some very good information.

I agree I especially enjoyed the historical background, and how different cultures and religions lead to different attitudes towards pigeons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Pigeon Control Resource Centre   

Back to top Go down
 
Pigeon Control Resource Centre
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Feral Pigeons and Doves-
Jump to: