Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Imprinting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

This video is geared toward parrots, imprinting on humans, is also relevant to pigeons. I've seen it myself with Elli, Oliver and other pigeons...they just don't know how to relate to their own kind and are stuck between not fiting as a human or a pigeon.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Excellent video, Charis.

This is the reason why I always was so reluctant at the beginning to touch and cuddle nestlings. I decided to leave them alone until they were old enough to see their own parents because I feared them to become too tame. So far I had absolutely no problem with the imprinting on me - although I love to play with squeakers but as soon as they are out together with the others they lose their narrow relationship with me and I am happy about this although it sometimes makes me sad of course.

Something different is of course when a baby is sick and needs intensive care and no parents there to help them. This is truly a difficult situtation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Petra...I think it's okay to interact with squeakers....talk to them and such. The danger, as with other birds, isa when the babies are removed from mom and dad and human hand reared.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Very interesting video, and certainly a problematic situation.

Thing is, a lot of the time we don't have a choice with rescues, we have to hand-rear the very young ones so they don't die. But I remember reading in another forum about a pigeon who had bonded with his caregiver, but was courted by a young hen for ages, until he reciprocated her attentions.
I certainly hope this will happen with Strophe eventually.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 pm

You're right, Teresa...often we don't have a choice. Mostly, I wanted folks to understand why hand raised pigeons can have a diffucult time knowing how to fit with other pigeons and why they can't be released.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:51 am

Matilda wrote:
You're right, Teresa...often we don't have a choice. Mostly, I wanted folks to understand why hand raised pigeons can have a diffucult time knowing how to fit with other pigeons and why they can't be released.
This is a great video and a very important subject. Like, you say, people need to understand the risks of hand-rearing pigeons (as well as most other birds). It is a horrible thought to think that some one out there may be releasing imprinted birds into the wild, thinking that they are doing the right thing when it isn't.

But like others say too, sometimes, with enough conspecific attention, imprinted pigeons may start to understand that they are a pigeon and relate to them. Although my Georgie is very human-orientated, I think that she would like a pigeon mate because she certainly is interested in Elmo's voice. But so far no pigeon has been able to see past her disability (her cloudy eyes) and treat her with the gentleness she needs. They all eventually try to peck at her eyes (I guess because they look weird). Disappointed

And I agree, sometimes, due to illness or the baby being an orphan, you have to hand-rear and give them special attention. It is always better though if they have another pigeon to be with and grow up with - just so they keep their identity. But it is hard. An ever present problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Sponsored content

Imprinting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprinting   Imprinting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Imprinting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon Behavior-
Jump to: