Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

String injury found me!!!

Go down 
+3
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
Teresa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

String injury found me!!! Empty
PostSubject: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Eight days ago I'd seen a string injury at the park, but was unable to catch him. I've looked out for him since, but didn't see him.
Then today, during lunch break, I went to give my feral flock some extra food for the cold weather... and there he was! Holy Cow I managed to catch him because he was very hungry, but he's in very good form, considering.
Two one-hour sessions allowed me to free his right foot, but I'm going to leave the other for tomorrow, as I worked a 12-hour day today, and we're both exhausted.

I've called him Geraldo The Fearless, after a medieval Portuguese hero, and he's been a model patient. He was so happy being in the warm, on a soft bed, and with a full belly, that he just looks at me intently but doesn't complain! Tickled Pink

More -- and photos -- tomorrow! Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Here's a lucky bird your caught him.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm so glad you were finally able to catch this little guy. YESS!!

Sending positive thoughts to you both that his recovery goes without incident. Pigeon angel

Look forward to the update and photos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:10 pm

How wonderful that you were able to catch Geraldo Teresa! String injury found me!!! 116281

I can't wait to see the photos & read updates! String injury found me!!! 395766
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:17 am

Teresa - i am extremely happy that you got him String injury found me!!! 116281 String injury found me!!! 116281 String injury found me!!! 116281
Waiting for the photos. Sending my best wishes for you and for Geraldo! What a name! I love it/them I love it/them I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 pm

No more string and nasty callous lumps! Thrilled

Today's job was more difficult than yesterday's, as there was a lot less string, but it was in two layers, and the inner one was completely embeded in callous material. Even though it was black string (easy to spot) it was totally covered and couldn't be seen, and it took me ages to soften the callous and remove it bit by tiny bit, working sideways so as not to pull or push, as that would have been painful for him. There was no bleeding at all, thank goodness.

So far I've only given him Metacam (for the pain and the swelling) and applied an antibiotic ointment to the feet; and apart from the string removal, I left him alone to rest after his ordeal. But tomorrow I intend to check him carefully, see if there's any other problem, and start bathing his feet to keep them clean and remove any more dead skin cells, and then massage the toes with Arnica gel.
The dark specs on his feet are the stumps of feathers (he has feathered feet) that I had to cut.

And here's the 'man' of the moment (I need to get a better photo of him!):

Geraldo:

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7777-r500

His feet when I got him:

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7776-r500

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7778-r500

Right foot, after treatment -- underside...

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7781-r500

... and top side:

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7783-r400

Left foot, during treatment -- this side is practically clear...

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7785-r400

... but on the other side you can see the horrible callous mess incrusted with string, starting to come off:

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7787-r500

And the left foot is finally free:

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7789-r500
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 am

What a great job you did, Teresa. YESS!! Pigeon angel Way To Go

The pore little guy really did have a mess of string entangled in his feet. Bless his heart. String injury found me!!! 983488
He's a good looking pij. Smile

Thank you for posting the before and after photos. String injury found me!!! 142829

Keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:14 am

Poor guy. His feet look so painful.

He's quite a handsome bird.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 am

I always cringe when I see photos of wounds on animals Very sad They look like they really, really hurt! Very sad

He's so very handsome! I'm sure with you careful mending he will be back to good health soon. String injury found me!!! 116281
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 2:41 pm

It breaks my heart to find them with toes already missing, or past saving! Very sad But this gentleman is one tough cookie! String injury found me!!! 116281

Here is a better picture of him, taken this afternoon, after a foot soak in warm water with baking soda and a foot massage (he's a creamy grey colour, but looks bluer here because of the flash):

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7802-r550

The toes are looking better, with a healthy colour and just a little less swelling. He walks very well on them! Tickled Pink

String injury found me!!! DSCNB7797-cr500
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 pm

He is quite the handsome one, Teresa. Smile

I can only imagine the agony he must have been in before you caught him. Very sad
I'm sure he still has some discomfort, but not nearly what he did have.

Given the color of his feet, he's definitely got good circulation. High 5

Many thanks for the update and updated photos. String injury found me!!! 142829
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Teresa The pictures of Owen's feet are really hard to look at. Every time I see these string injuries I can not believe how much pain these birds must endure. This poor baby, thank goodness you found him.

You have done an amazing job with him. Please keep us posted as he progresses.

Louise
String injury found me!!! 789920
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 am

Thank you Teresa for the pics although they are indeed - as Louise said - difficult to look at - it hurts myslf when I see these wounds. IT IS AMAZING how these birds carry on with their lives. I am so glad that they have you for them to help.

Teresa - sending you much energy and healing thoughts for brave little Geraldo. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel

I have started to treat Rudi's feet with DMSO again every 2 days. I have the feeling it does him good and that his stiff toes become a bit softer. I think I have to continue with this treatment.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Thank you Teresa for the pics although they are indeed - as Louise said - difficult to look at - it hurts myslf when I see these wounds. IT IS AMAZING how these birds carry on with their lives. I am so glad that they have you for them to help.

Teresa - sending you much energy and healing thoughts for brave little Geraldo. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel

I have started to treat Rudi's feet with DMSO again every 2 days. I have the feeling it does him good and that his stiff toes become a bit softer. I think I have to continue with this treatment.

How long now have you been putting the dmso on his feet, Petra?
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Oh Teresa! Very sad
You're his saving grace. Dove right and what a TROOPER he is indeed! String injury found me!!! 116281 I agree with Louise, I had to close my eyes as I sent a prayer his way, awe-- poor guy! I am so happy that he decided to fly in, to eat in your "drive thru" the day you were finally able to get him! Thank Heavens!
Give that guy a smooch from Arizona.. it comes with lots of healing Circle of Love relief for him too! and a HUGE way TO GO for you too!!! Great job String injury found me!!! 142829 Great job
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm

AZJourney wrote:

Oh Teresa! Very sad
You're his saving grace. Dove right and what a TROOPER he is indeed! String injury found me!!! 116281 I agree with Louise, I had to close my eyes as I sent a prayer his way, awe-- poor guy! I am so happy that he decided to fly in, to eat in your "drive thru" the day you were finally able to get him! Thank Heavens!
Give that guy a smooch from Arizona.. it comes with lots of healing Circle of Love relief for him too! and a HUGE way TO GO for you too!!! Great job String injury found me!!! 142829 Great job

Jenn!!! Hi there/Bye cheers Long time no see... It's great to hear from you again! Thrilled
I've forwarded your smooch to Geraldo. Tickled Pink
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Cindy, Louise and Petra,

I hear you when you say the pictures are upsetting, and I hope it will be a comfort to you to know that, by the time you got to see the photos, the bird was already free of those horrible strings, and much more comfortable.
I know you will understand that I posted them as a permanent reference to all the members, to show how these birds can be helped and what problems we need to beware of. The sight of injuries like that affects me as well, no matter how many I've seen and treated, but the realisation of the pain the pigeon must be feeling makes me snap out of it and get to work.

I let two of my teenage students be present during part of Geraldo's treatment, after they'd asked about the new arrival and showed an interest in his condition. The boys recoiled in shock when they saw his feet (one already freed of string, the other not yet) and asked lots of questions about what to do and how to do it, so I let them watch. I hope they'll be there when a pigeon needs a friend one day...

You know, looking at him earlier on, I was thinking that this must be the best kind of pigeon there is. Some people try so hard to breed special pigeons, but one that manages to lead a normal life and be otherwise healthy in spite of an injury like this, has to be super-special! I love seeing pictures of beautiful pedigree birds, but I have the greatest admiration for the humble feral!

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:44 am

I'm glad you did post the 'before and after' photos, Teresa. String injury found me!!! 142829
Sure, we all feel terrible when we hear of or have an actual case in hand but in more cases than not the outcome is so positive. I think the general public needs to be aware of this. And what better way to explain this, then by pictures. Great job

"You know, looking at him earlier on, I was thinking that this must be the best kind of pigeon there is. Some people try so hard to breed special pigeons, but one that manages to lead a normal life and be otherwise healthy in spite of an injury like this, has to be super-special! I love seeing pictures of beautiful pedigree birds, but I have the greatest admiration for the humble feral!"

I had an experience a few years ago with a former neighbor that left me scratching my head. String injury found me!!! 106767
We were talking through the fence in the backyard when she saw a couple ferals land on the roof.
The next few words that came out of her mouth were, "I hate those birds."
I could feel the rage begin. Seeing red/mad

She let me know in no uncertain terms how dirty they were, how they pooped on everything, yada, yada, yada.

Then, as she looked over to the AZ room, she said, "I like your pigeons though. They're pretty."
String injury found me!!! 279675 The mindset of some people makes me crazy. nutter Heaven help me
I proceeded to let her know how I felt.
I believe that was the last conversation we had.

When someone would call me about an injured or ill pigeon, I never asked what it looked like. That had absolutely no bearing on the case whatsoever. I just told them to bring them on over. String injury found me!!! 193770
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 am

Teresa - you know I am really very glad when you post these kinds of pictures because it helps a lot to learn and not despair. And what you said about the injured and sick ferals is just what I feel in my heart too:

"You know, looking at him earlier on, I was thinking that this must be the best kind of pigeon there is. Some people try so hard to breed special pigeons, but one that manages to lead a normal life and be otherwise healthy in spite of an injury like this, has to be super-special! I love seeing pictures of beautiful pedigree birds, but I have the greatest admiration for the humble feral!"

That's why I love Pina so very much and Rudi, and our Jimi and Winnie - because they have overcome so many obstacles, have fought for their lives in an incredible way. This cannot be compared to any fancy pigeon out there that has won numerous awards for being pretty.
These birds show me each day what hope and perseverence is, not to get lost in self-pity in bad days but go on, be brave and do the best you ever can.

Teresa - and the very best you can do is showing your students. Even if you might have the one or other parent complaining. But the kids must learn that the world out there is not pink!
You are doing a great job!!! Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:24 am

AZWhitefeather wrote:

String injury found me!!! 279675 The mindset of some people makes me crazy. nutter Heaven help me
I proceeded to let her know how I felt.
I believe that was the last conversation we had.

When someone would call me about an injured or ill pigeon, I never asked what it looked like. That had absolutely no bearing on the case whatsoever. I just told them to bring them on over. String injury found me!!! 193770

Yes Cindy, I can fully understand what you feel. Oh my - I would have gone nuts probably about someone saying such stupid and ignorant words. These are the people who are going to hide a disabled kid or consider poor people as not worth. Very sad this world sometimes is but there are still - thank heaven - all the others...
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Geraldo the Fearless is free! cheers Happy Dance pigeon 1

I felt I had done most of what I could possibly do for him, so I let him go! Apart from his foot injuries he was absolutely fine. And he was SO impatient at being indoors, he'd taken to climbing the walls of his cage!!

He darted out that window like a jet, circled twice and was gone. But not for long... a few hours later he was back, feeding with the feral flock. He landed right on my windowsill, and for a moment seemed tempted to eat from my hand, together with Gallahad and Charlie. But then he looked at me and may have thought something like, 'Ah, you're the one who put me behind bars... Well then, I'll just wait on the roof to be fed, thank you very much!'

Stay safe, Geraldo! String injury found me!!! 983488 Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:32 pm

Appreciate the update, Teresa. String injury found me!!! 142829

pigeon 1 Stay safe and fly high, sweet Geraldo pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: String injury found me!!!   String injury found me!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

String injury found me!!!
Page 1 of 1