Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Injured pigeon not eating

Go down 
+6
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
EgypSwiftLady
NiteOwl
Matilda
Ghanima
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:30 am

Looks like it.
How many poops a day do you think she makes?
Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am

Dear Matilda,

Matilda wrote:
Looks like it.
How many poops a day do you think she makes?

It is difficult for me to say. I never paid attention to that.

We changed the papers under her about 8 hours ago right after her breakfast. After the breakfast she had a lunch. She has two droppings so far. I hope this helps. I will try to count it and write you back.

Best Wishes.
Back to top Go down
http://web.me.com/ypehlivan
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:55 am

I think she may need to be fed a bit more.
Does it feel like she is putting on some weight...staying about the same or getting lighter?
It would be good to weigh her each day to monitor her weight.

Again...the best of luck to you with your test. I'll be thinking positive thoughts. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 142829
Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:46 am

Dear Matilda,

Matilda wrote:
I think she may need to be fed a bit more.

I think you are right. I was feeding her two times a day, about 25 pieces of corn or peas each time. But after reading about others posts I come to understand that it is not enough. Beginning today, I started to feed her 3 times a day. Because it is very difficult to have her eat more than about 25 pieces each time.

Matilda wrote:

Does it feel like she is putting on some weight...staying about the same or getting lighter?
It would be good to weigh her each day to monitor her weight.

It is difficult to say. I am terrible at such guesses. If I had to guess, I would say she stays the same. But I will weight her again when I get back (right now the nursery is closed).

Matilda wrote:

Again...the best of luck to you with your test. I'll be thinking positive thoughts. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 142829

Thank you for your good wishes. I hope I can make it.

Best regards.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 pm

You are very kind to try to turn the spare bathroom into a pigeon palace!

I'm glad she's better, the white urates are a very good sign. The thawed peas and corn do have quite a bit of water in them, and it's natural she wouldn't need to drink very much.
But 50 a day isn't enough for an adult pigeon, over 100 would be ideal. Here's a tip: if you're feeling very patient, try shelling the peas and giving her half at a time. She'll probably eat more then.

As for droppings, I think the average is 30-40 a day.

Good luck with your exam! Great job

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Teresa wrote:
You are very kind to try to turn the spare bathroom into a pigeon palace!

I'm glad she's better, the white urates are a very good sign. The thawed peas and corn do have quite a bit of water in them, and it's natural she wouldn't need to drink very much.
But 50 a day isn't enough for an adult pigeon, over 100 would be ideal. Here's a tip: if you're feeling very patient, try shelling the peas and giving her half at a time. She'll probably eat more then.

Good luck with your exam! Great job

Heaven help me ..that takes so much time and that in itself can be very stressful. I can get 30-50 peas down a pigeon within a very few minutes but it wan't always so easy.It just takes practice and developing a rhythm between the one feeding and the one receiving the food.
When the pigeon starts struggling...I stop. In this case I think adding a feeding or maybe two, a day might be easier.
I hope that she will be eating on her own soon.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm a big softy, then, because Piper and Strophe don't even look at their peas unless they're shelled! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Teresa wrote:
I'm a big softy, then, because Piper and Strophe don't even look at their peas unless they're shelled! Laughing

Yes...I would agree you are a big softy. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 395766 ...
They have you welll trained. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 46723
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Matilda wrote:
Teresa wrote:

Yes...I would agree you are a big softy. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 395766 ...

I can't help it... they're adorable! Tickled Pink
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 am

Teresa wrote:
Matilda wrote:
Teresa wrote:

I can't help it... they're adorable! Tickled Pink

Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 116281 True pampered pijjies. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 am

Teresa wrote:

Its no wonder that you have pigeons flying into your open window! Words gotten around the feral pigeon community that you are a big softy!!!!! Laughing Laughing Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 116281
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Teresa wrote:

Its no wonder that you have pigeons flying into your open window! Words gotten around the feral pigeon community that you are a big softy!!!!! Laughing Laughing Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 116281

And here's the evidence, photographed a year ago... That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny

http://www.pigeonangels.com/t1019-laughter-therapy
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Ghanima... hope you've dazzled them in your exam!
Best wishes for little Kader. She's lucky to have such a good foster mum!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 am

Teresa wrote:
EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Teresa wrote:

And here's the evidence, photographed a year ago... That's too funny That's too funny That's too funny

http://www.pigeonangels.com/t1019-laughter-therapy

Evidence indeed!! Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 142829
I love the caption in the picture. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 46723
Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 am

Dear All,

Thank you for your posts and moral support. I am now back home.

I was unfortunately not successful in my exam-interview. Apparently I had an inaccurate vision of what was expected of me and prepared in the wrong direction. But I will have another chance to try in a few months and this time I will have more experience.

Now the good news about my little lady. I can say that upon my return, I found her definitely looking much better and alert. My husband told me that in my absence she started eating for her own. He told me that in the last day of my absence, he fed her in the morning and then he had to leave because he had some business to do. He left some food with her hoping that she would eat herself. When he came back at night, about half of the food was gone. I also noticed that some of the food that we put for her last night was gone this morning.

Thrilled

So, I think she is eating on her own when she is very hungry. But she eats only a little bit. I had the nurse weight her today. She is 245g (down from 262g about a week ago). She definitely needs to eat more. Fortunately I was able to feed her about 56 peas this morning. Twice the amount she was willing to eat until a few days ago! I guess she is gaining her appetite back.

Teresa wrote:

Here's a tip: if you're feeling very patient, try shelling the peas and giving her half at a time. She'll probably eat more then.

Actually this is what I was doing already! I guess I am on the soft hearths club like you!

But now I have a dilemma: Although I fed her this morning, maybe I am not doing right. Maybe I should I let her go back to the habit of eating for her own, now that she started doing so. But on the other hand she lost so much weight and I don't want her to loose more. If I leave her alone I fear that she might not eat enough. What should I do?

Teresa wrote:

This is another think that I need advise about. First of all, is poop and dropping the same thing? I am sorry but English is not my mother language and these words are not easy to find in dictionaries (even the online ones). Assuming that they are the same, she doesn't seem to have these little ball-like droppings like the other pigeons in the wild. Instead she has these softer mud-like droppings. They are small in number but large in quantity. Is this bad?

One last thing: This morning when I was feeding her, I noticed what looked like a discharge from her nose. Unfortunately I removed it with a cotton swap before I could think of taking a picture. Is it usual for pigeons to have that kind of discharge?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading it!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 am

Welcome back. Think of your interview as a dress rehersal. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 116281

I would continue feeding her until her weight is back up. The softness of her poop or droppings ...same thing...., is a result of what you are feeding her. As she starts eating more on her own, they will firm up. It would be great to se a picture of her and her poop.

The discharge is a concern. Did she finish her treatment of flagyl?How does the inside of her mouth look?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am

It just dawned on my to ask...when you say 56 peas...do you mean 56 half pieces of peas? If so...that isn't enough.
Try popping the whole peas. Now you are experienced and it will be easier.
Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 am

Matilda wrote:
It just dawned on my to ask...when you say 56 peas...do you mean 56 half pieces of peas? If so...that isn't enough.
Try popping the whole peas. Now you are experienced and it will be easier.

No, no. I mean 56 full pieces. And I just fed more than 50 full pieces more. She is definitely getting her appetite back. I will try some full pieces next time.

Matilda wrote:
Welcome back. Think of your interview as a dress rehersal. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 116281

Thank you very much.

Matilda wrote:

I would continue feeding her until her weight is back up. The softness of her poop or droppings ...same thing...., is a result of what you are feeding her. As she starts eating more on her own, they will firm up. It would be great to se a picture of her and her poop.

OK. Then I will happily continue. I will upload the pictures momentarily.

Matilda wrote:

The discharge is a concern. Did she finish her treatment of flagyl?How does the inside of her mouth look?

She finished the 5 day flagyl treatment on Sunday. That was the first day that I removed something from her nose (I remembered just now). I thought it was dried blood that the vet overlooked when he cleaned blood on her. But today, I am pretty sure that it is not blood. I think inside of her mount looks less pink then before. Somewhat on the brownish side. Although I didn't pay attention to it before, I can tell with high confidence that it used to be more pinky than that. The tip of the beak is dark inside. I hope it is not something bad.

All the Best.

Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 am

Here are the photos. First her poop, then her bathroom and finally the lady herself.

Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0012
Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0013
Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0014

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

Any possibility of a close up on her face?
I won't be able to lok at it for a few hours.

The poop is pretty much what I expected.

How are the wounds healing?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 am

It's great to know that Kader has started eating on her own! Hip Hip Hooray It sounds like she will still need some extra feeding, as you say, but that's great news.

I appreciate the difficulty of counting cage pizzas rather than individual droppings... an idea is to try to estimate volume of food and volume of output... but you won't need to use integration! ROTFL

Was the discharge liquid, mucous or sticky? Do the eyes look swollen at all? Are the feathers around the eyes wet? Are the ceres (symmetrical white pads between face and top of beak) white? Is she sneezing?
The inside of her mouth and throat should be a healthy pink, with no mucous strings and no yellow or white nodules. Please keep us posted.

It's a pity that you'll have to wait a little longer for your much-deserved chance -- but it will come! Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 395766

PS. Just saw the photos. I agree with Charis that the poop looks okay, Kader is adorable, and you'll need to read a lot of newspapers to keep her bathroom supplied! Laughing

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am

YESS!! I'm so glad that Kader is eating on her own now.
I also agree, supplement feeding is a good idea.

She is adorable. Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 983488 Many thanks for posting her picture.

With regard to droppings vs. poop, yes they are one of the same. Smile
I'm just used to saying droppings. Laughing

Speaking of which, the picture you posted shows very little 'white'. Is there more than the picture shows?
If not, I would wonder if Kader is drinking enough water. Hmmm

I know having to retake the exam isn't what you hoped for, but look at it this way . . . You will be familiar with what to expect the next go round. Wink

Please keep us posted.

Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 am

Ghanima so sorry to read about your interview but like Charis said practice makes perfect.

I'm glad to read that your little Lady is doing better Happy

I like to handfeed the whole pea without shelling it, I think it gives the gizzard something tougher to grind kinda getting it ready for seeds.

Yes poop is the same as droppings. Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 am

Dear All,

Thank you for quick replies.

Matilda wrote:
Any possibility of a close up on her face?
A will upload a few close up photos in a few minutes.

Matilda wrote:
How are the wounds healing?

Her eye is getting better everyday. The wound on her neck is difficult to see because of feathers. But I think a shell is formed on that wound.

Teresa wrote:

I appreciate the difficulty of counting cage pizzas rather than individual droppings... an idea is to try to estimate volume of food and volume of output... but you won't need to use integration! ROTFL

All right, I'll try that Happy So, am I supposed to guess if the output is about the same as input?

Teresa wrote:

Was the discharge liquid, mucous or sticky? Do the eyes look swollen at all? Are the feathers around the eyes wet? Are the ceres (symmetrical white pads between face and top of beak) white? Is she sneezing?
The inside of her mouth and throat should be a healthy pink, with no mucous strings and no yellow or white nodules.

Well, the discharge was not liquid. It was more solid. If I had to guess I would say it was a dried up mucous. Not very sticky. I find it difficult to say if the eyes are swollen. I will upload some close up photos in a few minutes. Maybe you or someone else can say if the eyes are swollen. The feathers around the eyes are not wet. The ceres looks white/pinkish. We never heard her sneezing. Inside of her mouth is not pinkish. It is somewhat brown. But I didn't notice any mucous strings or yellow/white things in her mouth.
[/quote]

Teresa wrote:

PS. Just saw the photos. I agree with Charis that the poop looks okay, Kader is adorable, and you'll need to read a lot of newspapers to keep her bathroom supplied! Laughing

Oh, yes. Definitely.

AZWhitefeather wrote:

Speaking of which, the picture you posted shows very little 'white'. Is there more than the picture shows?
If not, I would wonder if Kader is drinking enough water. Hmmm

There isn't more poop than the picture shows for the time being. This is the one she just drooped in the middle of my kitchen just after I fed her Oh no and after that I changed her papers. Since she is sleeping there won't be more poop until tomorrow. But I will check to see the amount of white matter tomorrow.

I hope the discharge issue isn't too serious. You guys are scaring me with the questions. Not feeling well
Back to top Go down
Ghanima
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Here are the close-ups. I hope they give you enough details. The left eye is still not back to normal but it is getting better everyday.
Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0015
Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0016
Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Img_0017
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Injured pigeon not eating    Injured pigeon not eating  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Injured pigeon not eating
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next