Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Oh man, Sammy's at it again...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 am

Teresa wrote:

Thank you so much, Petra! Thank You

Sammy is much better now. Her treatment (alternating the calcium supplement with Baytril daily) will be over after 10 days, and after that I'm thinking of giving her the calcium gluconate once a week, and then twice on the week she lays the next egg. Does that seem okay?

Teresa, I am so glad that Sammy is better. I know how this can be nervewracking.
For Pina I do the following: she gets herbal pellets twice a week and I distribute 2 drops of calcivet directly on 10 pellets and handfeed this to her twice a week. Rudi gets the same but only 7-8 pellets and only once a week.

Additionally they can eat grit, egg shell, parrot sand whenever they want to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm

The vet prescribed 0.07ml (I round it up to 2 drops) a day, so this one must be more concentrated than the Calcivet.
Thanks for the dosage, I'll make a note of it!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:54 am

I hope Sammy is continuing to improve, Teresa. flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Sammy gave me a fright again yesterday. Disappointed
Late afternoon she started stumbling when walking and just wanted to lie down -- this on what should have been her first med-free day after a 10-day course of liquid calcium and Baytril every day...
So I gave her a double dose of calcium, and vitamin D3, warmed up her nest and put her in it. At first she was shaking a bit and breathing rapidly, then suddenly out popped an egg, and after that she was soon much better.
I keep checking in on her and she's almost back to normal, but she's stargazing a lot. Today she had two doses of calcium again. And she also pecked at and ate a good part of the shell of the egg she had laid.
Second egg due tomorrow, so I think it's double calcium again tomorrow.

Would she stop laying so frequently if some of the time I put up a partition between her and Pippin, so they could see each other but not be in contact? Something tells me that it wouldn't work, but...
I don't want to separate them, but it freaks me that she lays so often, abandons the eggs, and then lays again, making herself sick in the process.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:14 am

I'm glad Sammy is OK. Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 44767
I can only imagine the fright you must have endured.

Hmmm A partition might work. I have NO idea
Yes, it sure would be better on her (and you) if she didn't lay so often.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 am

Teresa - I so very much understand your concern. Was just the same with Pina - each time she was going to lay eggs she started stargazing, was totally beside herself and had one relapse after another. Then abandoned her eggs after only a few days. I was really desperating. You know how long she was sick!!! But this all disappeared completely. So please don't loose hope!!!

I wonder why Sammy is abandoning her eggs all the time. Maybe its because her nest is too open, too obvious for disturbance. Could you possibly put her cage/nest in a place where she and Pippin could hide from your view? Maybe a piece of cloth would help.

I gave Pina 3 different choices - one cardboard box with nest under a chair that is packed full of stuff and never moved - it's in the dark and the pijjies can really hide there, another possibility under my working table - totally dark as well and hidden from view because I put a large cardboard around it and the box on my closet which she and Rudi like most. They are hidden there too. Also Rudi and Pina are completely free in the appartment besides during the night. Either Pina is sitting on eggs and when not she is packed into her former hospital box and Rudi in his. Just an idea.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 106767
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 7:08 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Teresa - I so very much understand your concern. Was just the same with Pina - each time she was going to lay eggs she started stargazing, was totally beside herself and had one relapse after another. Then abandoned her eggs after only a few days. I was really desperating. You know how long she was sick!!! But this all disappeared completely. So please don't loose hope!!!

I wonder why Sammy is abandoning her eggs all the time. Maybe its because her nest is too open, too obvious for disturbance. Could you possibly put her cage/nest in a place where she and Pippin could hide from your view? Maybe a piece of cloth would help.

I gave Pina 3 different choices - one cardboard box with nest under a chair that is packed full of stuff and never moved - it's in the dark and the pijjies can really hide there, another possibility under my working table - totally dark as well and hidden from view because I put a large cardboard around it and the box on my closet which she and Rudi like most. They are hidden there too. Also Rudi and Pina are completely free in the appartment besides during the night. Either Pina is sitting on eggs and when not she is packed into her former hospital box and Rudi in his. Just an idea.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 106767

I might try something to act as a curtain... maybe that would help. Their nest is quite private, but it does have an opening facing the front of the cage. They like to see the view from there, but maybe when there are eggs they need more privacy. Hmmm
Neither Sammy nor Pippin have much of an idea what to do with eggs. Pippin actually sat on hers for 2 days (that was a record) but then abandoned them. But at least Pippin doesn't lay constantly, nor such ENORMOUS eggs as Sammy.

Sammy is late laying her second egg, but she's not egg bound. In any case she's been having double calcium and her nest is heated, and with a damp towel over the top. At the moment she's a picture of cosiness. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Do you think Sammy will only be laying 1 egg, Teresa?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 8:22 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
Do you think Sammy will only be laying 1 egg, Teresa?

It's looking possible, as she hasn't laid another yet. But she's been very bright and alert today, stargazing a lot less, and pecking at me when I gave her the calcium. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 pm

I hope laying only one egg is the case. Fingers crossed
I'm glad she's as active as she is. Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 116281 That's a good sign. Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 142829

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm

Sammy is stable, but still stargazing a bit.
All her life's been a struggle, first with the 7 months she spent unable to feed herself, and afterwards with the recurrence of the symptoms now and again, and recently the hypocalcemia as well.
If it wasn't for her mate's dedication, her quality of life would be very poor indeed. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 11:15 pm

A mate can make all the difference in the world sometimes.
Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Heart_10

Special thoughts and best wishes continue for Sammy. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 11:45 am

It is just heartbreaking Teresa when we see that our feathered little angels are suffering. Sending you lots of energy to pull this through and many many healing wishes for little Sammy.
Please don't give up on hoping for a miracle...Pigeon angel

I know why I am spoiling Pina to no end.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 395766
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
It is just heartbreaking Teresa when we see that our feathered little angels are suffering. Sending you lots of energy to pull this through and many many healing wishes for little Sammy.
Please don't give up on hoping for a miracle...Pigeon angel

I know why I am spoiling Pina to no end.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 395766

Way To Go
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you for your good wishes! Thank You

Sammy laid her second egg today -- several days after the first! Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 106767 She's okay, though stargazing quite a bit. She got her calcium, pecked me, then settled down on her egg.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 DSCNB8082-r450
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 pm

What a precious little girl. Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 983488
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 3:50 pm

I find it always so funny when they sit like this - all completely satisfied with their bellies over their pants.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723 Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723 Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:

I find it always so funny when they sit like this - all completely satisfied with their bellies over their pants.... Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723 Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723 Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 46723

I love it when my guys do that. I love it/them
It must be very comfortable for them, because they sure do it alot. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Teresa, Malcolm confirmed that you can order it in Portugal:

http://www.ornicare.com/

when you use this website (I have tried it and it works) you need to find the link "online store" -
it's on the left sidebar - then you need to click on Bird Care Company under "Manufacturers" - there you can find the liquid Calcivet in various sizes.

I've run out of the Calcivet I got from my vet, so I decided to order online, to make sure to always have some in the house.
Well... what can I say... it's been an adventure! Oh no

I've ordered it anyway, complete with extortionate extras.
And then I sent Malcolm, director of Birdcare Co, this email detailing the goings-on:

Dear Malcolm,

A friend in Germany recommended Calcivet as a supplement for my pigeons, but it's been hard work ordering it online...

I started off with Ornicare, seeing as it is here in Portugal. But the site doesn't look like it's been updated in years, and doesn't offer a shred of information about the products -- I had to keep the Birdcare Co page open at the same time to read the descriptions. I was about to confirm the order, paying by bank transfer, when I noticed they didn't accept payments in euros or pounds sterling, only dollars; and the VAT rate they quoted me has been superceded a long time ago. No way was I going to provide my bank details under such circumstances...

So I decided to order directly from Birdcare Co, as my friend does. Then I noticed that the postal rates for Portugal were much higher than for France, etc. That surprised me, because posting from Portugal the rate is the same for all EU countries. It would mean that the postage would cost me over 5 times more than the purchase...

So I went back to Ornicare and ordered the Calcivet cash on delivery. It's more expensive, but at least I don't have to fork out until I see the product.

I hope this works -- fingers crossed!

Best wishes,

Teresa

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need a stiff drink... especially because I still need Coxi Med, and two attempts to order from Jedd's failed redundantly...

I just DON'T get it
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 am

Holy Cow What an ordeal you are going through, Teresa. Disappointed
Please keep us posted on how things go.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Things are looking up! cheers

Got a very helpful email from Malcolm, followed by another from their rep in Portugal, Ornicare. The Calcivet is on its way! Happy Dance

I've also emailed Jedds for guidance on how to avoid the error messages I kept getting. Apparently it happens quite a lot, even to members in the US, but I hope it can be solved. Fingers crossed

Also, in my searches I came across a product made from grapefruit seeds and pulp which is supposed to be excellent against protozoan infections, and so gentle that it can be given to baby pigeons and immunosuppressed ones. It's called Berimax and they will ship to Portugal:

Quote :
Hi Teresa
Yes, we can send to Portugal. Actually we send form time to time to fanciers in Portugal already.
Are you a veterinarian as well ?
Anyway, you can just pay with paypal at this site http://berimax.synthasite.com/
and you will find some more information about Berimax at the sites www.berimax.co.uk and www.berimax.us

We sell a lot of Berimax to USA and itwill be presented at the US Racing Pigeon Convention in Houston, Texas now in July.

We can ship any time any where...

Let me hear your experience or any questions you may have.

Kind regards

Nils Reither, DVM

Can't wait to try it on Hercules, George and Sammy -- plus any rescues that are very frail.

I'll keep you posted.
Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 395766
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh man, Sammy's at it again...   Oh man, Sammy's at it again... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oh man, Sammy's at it again...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: