Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK

Go down 
+2
Matilda
NiteOwl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Empty
PostSubject: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 pm

This morning on the way to the loft, I glanced up at the church steeple just two buildings away from us, and what I saw wasn't good. A large Coopers hawk perched on the weather vane, surveying the area. From her vantage point, she had a great view of my backyard, and all the surrounding area. No wonder my ferals don't show up much during the winter months. And as I approached the church yard, I saw something laying on top of the snow in the side yard of the church. As I got closer I realized that it was the head of a mallard duck, with the neck bones still attached, but nothing more. The body was gone. It was very upsetting. And looks as if this is one of the hawks hangouts. I hadn't noticed it up there before, but I'll bet my ferals have.
CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK 100_1043

CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK 100_1045

CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK 100_1059
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Great shots, Jay. That sure is one big hawk! And what a vantage point!!
Sad about the duck. I would have found that upsetting as well.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Great photos!!! As much as I respect the Cooper hawks I despise them!!!! Laughing They are the one hawk that we have to keep a close eye out for during the winter months!

Poor duckie Very sad Very sad I'm glad your ferals seem to be keeping an eye out for that one. Serious EEK!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I felt terrible about the duck. Didn't know they would grab a duck, but why not? Especially if the hawk is a good size. And this one looked pretty healthy.They are beautiful birds, but I hate having them around.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Beautiful indeed, and that last photo, especially, is amazing. Shame they have to take so many lives.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Great job on the photos, Jay.

He is one massive and beautiful bird.

I wish they all (hawks, snakes, etc.) preferred flowers as their meal choice.
But sadly, they don't. CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK 559177
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 11:35 am

Yes. She is beautiful, but I just don't like the vantage point she has up there of my yard.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 11:43 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Yes. She is beautiful, but I just don't like the vantage point she has up there of my yard.

I agree It can be very unsettling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
ysplace
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Beautiful   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 pm

That last photo is terrific. What a striking and regal bird. Hopefully, she will find a new place to perch.
Back to top Go down
ysplace
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Beautiful   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 pm

That last photo is terrific. What a striking and regal bird. Hopefully, she will find a new place to perch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK   CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CHURCH STEEPLE HAWK
Page 1 of 1