Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Finicky Flocks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ysplace
Special Pigeon Angel

Finicky Flocks Empty
PostSubject: Finicky Flocks   Finicky Flocks Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Recently, I used up a couple of bags of bird seed that I bought at Petco on two flocks of pigeons that I try and feed regularly. The first flock consist of approx 30 or so birds within a mile of my home and the other flock of approx 20-25 birds behind my office in downtown portland. Normally, both flocks come as soon as they see my red coat and the big bag of seed.

Since I ran out of the generic stuff, I went to the feed store and bought a 50lb bag of premium pigeon feed. I figured that the babies would be so excited to have good stuff for a change. What I found surprised me. The flock near my home loved the new feed and couldnt seem to get enough of it. However, today, I tried to feed the flock behind my office and for the most part, they turned their peaks up at it. They ate the small seeds but left the peas and corn. The worst part, is that "Stare". It was like them saying, "whats the deal?" The way they looked at me somehow made me feel incredibly guilty for not supplying the cheap stuff.

Is this normal for ferals?

Thanks
Yvette
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Finicky Flocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finicky Flocks   Finicky Flocks Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Finicky Flocks 46723 ...They'll get used to it...give them some time. The pigeon seed is much better for them because of the higher protein content. The wild bird seed mix...they love, I know...but it's more like giving them a candy bar for lunch. To switch them over...you can try mixing the two together, gradually adding more of the pigeon mix. Those downtown birds are more accustomed to food cart meals.
Try to avoid the scares and bewilderment....just don't let them get to you.
Back to top Go down
ysplace
Special Pigeon Angel

Finicky Flocks Empty
PostSubject: Thank you   Finicky Flocks Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Since they out number me 30 to 1, I think mixing would be a great idea

Shock
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Finicky Flocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finicky Flocks   Finicky Flocks Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 pm

ysplace wrote:
Since they out number me 30 to 1, I think mixing would be a great idea

Shock
Finicky Flocks 321758 Finicky Flocks 23878
They're not used to the good stuff, and probably wonder if it's food at all... until one of the dominant birds in the flock starts eating it, and then the others will follow suit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Finicky Flocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finicky Flocks   Finicky Flocks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finicky Flocks
Page 1 of 1