Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Empty
PostSubject: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Meet my new visitor, Gold.
He looks quite young, but the ceres are formed, and he has blue bars, but there the similarity with feral pigeons ends. Because he's a lot smaller than the smallish feral beside him, he has a golden head and breast, very long beak and tail, and tiny eyes.
It looks to me like he may be a cross between a feral and a Eurasian collared dove. What do you think?

Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? DSCNB9029-cr600

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Very interesting, Teresa.
He's definitely not 100% 'pigeon'. Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? 106767
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
DOVEBOOK

DOVEBOOK

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Teresa,

I agree that Gold is definitely not 100% pigeon. That beak looks very distinct (closer to a ringneck dove's than a pigeon's). It is possible that he could be a cross between a feral pigeon and one of the collared doves that live near you; such a cross between different dove and pigeon species is not unheard of.

http://picasaweb.google.com/zakriya78/PigeonDoveHybrids#

Since Gold is still young, it will be interesting to see how he develops physically as he grows older.
Back to top Go down
http://dovebook.webs.com/
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Thank you for the reply and the link, Sal! Thank You

Zakriya is member here too, but he doesn't pop in very often! Laughing

I'll keep an eye on Gold, but I'm worried because I read somewhere that such hybrids, besides being infertile, can be short-lived. It's not the first time I've seen youngsters with these characteristics in this area, but I've never seen an adult like that. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh look, Gold is looking all grown up! cheers
He's definitely half blue bar -- but what's with the zipper down his front??? Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? 106767

Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? DSCNB9539-cr600
Back to top Go down
DOVEBOOK

DOVEBOOK

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

I've been hoping and praying that Gold is the exception to this short-lived "tendency" that hybrids seem to go by. And I am very happy to see your most recent picture of a more grown-up Gold; it looks to me like he is thriving! I'll continue to hope and pray for Gold and that he lives a long life, therefore defying the odds of dying young.

Teresa wrote:
I'll keep an eye on Gold, but I'm worried because I read somewhere that such hybrids, besides being infertile, can be short-lived. It's not the first time I've seen youngsters with these characteristics in this area, but I've never seen an adult like that. Disappointed

As for that zipper down his front, it could be from a recent preening...I say this because Paz has exhibited such a thing himself after he has been going at his feathers for a good while. Happy Other than that possibility though, it's got me puzzled too... Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? 106767
Back to top Go down
http://dovebook.webs.com/
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Thank you for your post, Dovebook! Thank You circling
Most of the pigeons round here are moulting now, so it's very likely that the 'zipper' is connected with that -- either that the feathers are being replaced by 'zones', or he got impatient and started overgrooming.

I share your delight and your hopes for little Gold, and hope he will have a long and a good life. He doesn't always come in to feed with the others, but I will continue to keep an eye out for him! Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Gold is beautiful, Teresa. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 6:13 am

Gorgeous Gold! Love the "zipper"! Happy I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Have you seen the expression of the other pigeon? I can see a Lolpigeon coming up... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?   Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can this be a feral pigeon x collared dove cross?
Page 1 of 1