Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Happy pigeon

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
gotlin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello,

I wrote in an other topic my story and why I've a pigeon in my home.
I know he's a wild one, and so surely he's less mild than domestic ones, and he has a little fear of me when I touch him ( but I've to touch him because I have to give him therapy Very sad ), so I want to ask to all of you, that are ceirtanely better than me with this kind of animals how I can handle him in the better way.
Oh, and another question, for the reason that he can't stand up, he gets dirty in the vent region, I clean his temporary arrangament every day, also twice in a day, but he gets dirty the same, so I want to clean him, I try with a wet tissue, but it's very difficult to clean him perfectly, do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot ! ! Cute Dove
Back to top Go down
http://tirepare.blogspot.com/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi Gotlin,
I replied in your thread in the About You forum but will also reply here. Smile

I had mentioned that sometimes when a pigeon's body is depleted of calcium they can have an problem with their legs. If you aren't already doing so, I would suggest placing a separate bowl of grit for him. They will eat it as they feel the need.

I was also wondering if there were any visible injuries.
What did the vet think was wrong?

Please keep us posted on how things go.
Will be thinking positive thoughts that he improves soon. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Gotlin,

I posted some questions on your other thread, so I'll be repeating myself in here, but bear with me...

To know what to advise it would be important to know what the vet said, especially what exactly is the reason why he can't stand up. Are there any fractures, and how old approximately, are there any injuries, is it neurological damage, nutritional deficiency, disease?
When you say you are giving him therapy, do you mean you are giving him medicines, or is it physiotherapy?

About the soiled vent region, is it just because he can't stand, or does he have diarrhoea? If it's the former, you can give him a bath in tepid water (5cm of water in a large bowl or cat litter tray), and gently brush away any droppings clinging to his feathers. He may be a little nervous at first, but pigeons love bathing, and do it all the time in the wild. Then put him on a towel in a warm place, or in the sun if possible, to dry.
I have a pigeon recovering from a double fracture on a leg. The bone has now mended, but the joints are a bit stiff, so she has a deeper bath (I support her all the time, of course) which allows her to stretch and move her legs in the water without putting any weight on them. This hydrotherapy has worked wonders!

Another idea would be to get, or to make, a sling to support his body off the ground. This is often indicated for pigeons with both legs broken. I'll go and see if I can find some references.
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Thankyou !

well, as i said in the other post (maybe I had to write one topic and not two) he has nervous disease, but luckily legs are warm and they have feeling.
Ah, my vet said that I could use a sponge to make him a support and to help him to stay in a correct position, I have to cut the sponge and put the legs in it. I tryed to do it, but legs slip out from the sponge... any idea ?
Oh and he hasn't got diarrhoea ! He's really healty if we don't talk about legs...

edit- (Why I forgot every time something?) I give him to eat a special mix of seeds, I didn't find in the shop that for pigeon, but I use one for doves... I think is the same, am I right ? But have I to give him also other food ? He came form the outside, so he probably ate everything in his life because I found him in a city park.
Oh, another thing, how can I know how old is he ? Is it right true that in nature they live only 5 years ?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 7:46 am

What did the vet think was wrong with the pigeon?

The dove mix should be just fine.

It is true, generally a wild (feral) pigeon's life expectancy isn't that long.
Back to top Go down
Angel
Special Pigeon Angel

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:59 am

In captivity they can live 15 years, sometimes more. .
As mentioned above, please do provide with grit and it wouldn't hurt for now to also provide with additional calcium.

Reti
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:30 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
What did the vet think was wrong with the pigeon?

The dove mix should be just fine.

It is true, generally a wild (feral) pigeon's life expectancy isn't that long.

He said he has a nervous disease, I mean something like strech injury of sciatic nerve. But we can't know what is it till some days. I saw that one leg is better... but he can't stand up yet =( I'm so sad because I'm thinking what can I do for him if he will not stand up... he can't be free again, and he can't have a normal life because it's dangerous for him fly in this conditions...

Do you know sany particolar food that they like really much ? I want to be more friendly with him, but I don't know how.
Do pigeons like to be pet ? And how they like it ? I hae to pet him like he was a cat or dog ?

Angel wrote:
In captivity they can live 15 years, sometimes more. .
As mentioned above, please do provide with grit and it wouldn't hurt for now to also provide with additional calcium.

Reti

I'll give him calcium after the antibiotic. So from monday I'll give him it. what kind of grint do you use usally ?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi, Gotlin!

I see what you mean about the two threads, so perhaps we can continue the conversation here, if that's okay. Wink

From what you say it is possible that Igo may have been bitten by a dog or attacked by a seagull. If there's nothing broken, the sciatic nerve was stretched but not damaged, and he's got feeling on his feet, that is very good news! Igo's injuries sound almost identical to those of a kitten I kept -- and 6 weeks later he was walking! Happy Dance But now he doesn't stop! Oh brother

The Enrofloxacin and anti-inflammatory he's taking now are the best medicines for this kind of injury. If he is otherwise healthy, then he won't need anything else at the moment. I agree with you about only giving him grit and calcium after he's finished the antibiotic, as calcium supplements interfere with the absorption of the antibiotic.
As for the grit, most pet shops sell grit for pigeons or chickens, made up of very small stones and sometimes with broken up shells. But it's always best to offer oyster shell (literally, small pieces of broken oyster shells) separately from the grit. There's also something called a pick stone, and this is the luxury version... Tickled Pink it looks like a red brick, and contains all the ingredients of grit, plus essential minerals.

Dove food is very similar to pigeon food, but some of the grains are broken up. If you could add some dried peas and small corn to it, I'm sure he'll be very happy. Once a week, you could offer him a salad made up of small pieces of lettuce or spinach, grated carrot, peas and sweetcorn (fresh, or warmed frozen peas and corn are fine, but don't use tinned ones) -- that's a very tasty vitamin and mineral supplement!
In smaller amounts, you can also offer shelled sunflower seeds and broken up unsalted raw peanuts. Perhaps Igo has never tasted them, and he may not even know that they're food for the first couple of times, but once he gets used to them he will LOVE them -- so you can use them as special treats to eat from your hand, and that will encourage him to be friendly with you.
That works much better than trying to pet him, as at first he won't know if that is an act of aggression. You should always approach a pigeon slowly, keeping your hands below his eye level, and speaking to him softly. Sudden movements or noises, and shrill voices, totally freak them!

It's not always possible to get a feral pigeon to become a pet. Most of them never forget the call of the wild, and when they feel better all they can think about is being free again. If you want them to stay, or they can't be released, then the trick is to get them a mate. Then they are often content indoors, so long as they have enough room and the hotel is good! Laughing If they can be released, and you release them from your house, they will know how to find their way back -- and often do, flying in through the window hoping for something nice to eat. I just love it when they do that! I love it/them

The sponge method sounds like hard work... and quite honestly, I'd be worried that if he moved awkwardly he could hurt himself. Others will be along to give you their opinion, but if it was me I would get him a bowl (a heavy one that won't tip) and line it with a towel shaped like a donut. (You can add some kitchen paper over the top, so the paper can be changed oten but you don't have to wash towels all day!) If the diameter of the hole that Igo is to be put on is about 10-15cm, he will be able to put some weight on his breast, tail and wings to support himself, and the legs should be more comfortable.

Let us know how you get on!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 8:06 am

Hi Gotlin,
I agree with Teresa's suggestion of making a 'donut' nest for Igo rather than using the sponge. Happy pigeon 142829

I will think the most positive thoughts that this injury is only temporary. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 9:11 am

thank you ! ! Happy pigeon 983488 Happy pigeon 983488

You are really pigeon angels ! Pigeon angel

I'm happy to read that you belive that he can fly in freedom again !
And I'll follow your suggestions !

peas and corn are in food yet.

Oh, I want to ask you also if it's possible to know if Igo is a female or a male, I say always "he" because in Italy pigeon (piccione) is a male word.
I know that you have to see how pigeon interact with other one, but in this case I cant. Do you know anything that could help me to understand what is its sex ?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Well... there is something that may give you an idea, but it isn't 100% guaranteed.
Put a mirror in front of him, a mirror big enough for him to see most of his body. Generally males will start to challenge "the other pigeon" Laughing , dancing and bowing, or else they can't stop admiring themselves in the mirror! Most females ignore the mirrors, at least mine do, but I've heard that some can copy the males' behaviour.
Sometimes the females' heads have a flatter area on the top of their heads, and they are usually smaller than the males of the same breed, and more docile, but again this doesn't always happen. I thought that the first pigeon I brought home was a boy until... "he" laid an egg! Now that is definite proof! That's too funny
The only other way to know for sure is to have a DNA test done, but that can be expensive.

Talking about 'piccione', it may amuse you to know that I gave an Italian name to one of my visitors. She's a racing pigeon who decided to stay around here. She's VERY beautiful, with lots of spots on her wings that look like precious stones, so I called her Principessa. Tickled Pink

This is my princess, the one in the middle:

Happy pigeon DSCNB8864-cr600
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:19 pm

The 'mirror' test works well. Happy pigeon 142829
Our Mikko loved the mirror. Sometimes I think he just enjoyed admiring himself. Happy pigeon 46723

Mikko with Mailo looking on, waiting for his turn.
LOL

Happy pigeon 2006-013
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:01 am

Thankyou,

I have to say you a bad piece of news. I don't live in the city where I'm studing veterinary medicine, so I have to return to my home to take money. I left Igo to a veterinary student that has more capacity with this kind of animals,I return to my university city tomorrow, but she said me Igo has a little noise in his breath, I'll go to the veterinary as soon as I return. I hope it'll be nothing serious... Have you ever have this kind of problem ? Is it grave ?

I'm angry with me because I ame back to home... I want to be there with Igo as soon as possible...

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Do you know what kind of "noise in his breath" it is?

If he's making a kind of clicking noise and you can feel a vibration at the same time as the sound, when you put your hand under him, that's just fear or nervousness, and can happen frequently when the bird is handled by someone he doesn't know. It isn't a problem and it stops when he calms down.

Sneezing can be due to environmental factors, even something as common as perfume or any cleaning products with a strong smell, incense, scented candles, cigarette smoke, or even draughts. But frequent sneezing indicates there is a problem, often air sac mites.

If he's wheezing, having problems breathing, or breathing with his mouth open, then that's serious. It indicates an inflammation or infection of the air sacs and the lungs. The symptoms above, when accompanied by discharge from the eyes or the nose, and diarrhoea, are typical of ornithosis, which is very contagious, including to humans (it produces mild flu-like symptoms). If this is the case, he will need to see a vet as soon as possible and be medicated with an antibiotic for respiratory infections (Enrofloxacin, Cyprofloxin, Aureomycin, Doxycyclin, Chlortetracyclin or Doxy-T).
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Igo, Gotlin. Very sad
Please let us know how things are going.
I will keep my fingers crossed that all turns out OK. Fingers crossed Universal hug
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 8:50 am

My cute pie is now again with me, do you belive me that I can't sleep knowing that he was ill ?
Luckily he doesn't seem to be bad, rather he's better now !
I mean he can't stanp up tha same, but I see he's really alert and I'm positive for thinking his future ! !

I haven't heard the noise yet, maybe it was because he was scared or I think for fluid medicine he had to take, maybe he let that in his nostrils.

But I'll take him to vet the same because he's now finishing his antibiotic therapy, and I want to know what my vet says about his legs.

Oh, I try to place in front of him a mirror, his reaction was not very understandable nut I tell you what I saw: he was a little puzzled, and he moved away his neck, and he blew up a little.
what do you think ?

p.s. I love Principessa ! !
Happy pigeon 983488
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm

gotlin wrote:
My cute pie is now again with me, do you belive me that I can't sleep knowing that he was ill ?
I know just what you mean! Wink

Quote :
I haven't heard the noise yet, maybe it was because he was scared or I think for fluid medicine he had to take, maybe he let that in his nostrils.
I hope it was the first one, that he was winded (making clicky noises) because he didn't know your friend. Getting liquid into his nostrils, or worse, in his trachea is very dangerous, and must be avoided at all costs! If even a small amount of liquid gets into his lungs, a bird can develop pneumonia and die within hours from aspiration.
I'm enclosing a little diagram to show the relative positions of the trachea and the aesophagus; the aesophagus is right at the back of the bucal cavity, and it is very important that liquid medications should be given so that none of it falls into the opening of the trachea.

Happy pigeon Organs-p-cc

Quote :
Oh, I try to place in front of him a mirror, his reaction was not very understandable nut I tell you what I saw: he was a little puzzled, and he moved away his neck, and he blew up a little.
what do you think ?
Blowing up a little means, 'Go away, you intruder!!' Heaven help me -- That sounds 'boyish' to me, but it's not definite. Laughing
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Very good news ! ! !

My vet said that Igo is better, and he's very happy because he think he could fly away one day !
He said me that when he could stand up on one of his legs then I could leave him. He said me to came back to his ambulatory the day before I want to leave him because he want to control the conditions of Igo !

Well, he said there isn't any problem of infections or similar, he said that Igo is really good, oh and Igo gave little bite to my vet hands ! I was very happy because he showed a lot of vitality !

Now I bought grit, also my vet said me to buy it and he said that the antibiotic I gave to him wasn't a problem for calcium. Now I'll give to Igo anti-inflamatory for a few days, and then I stop all therapy and we have only to hope.

thanks to all of you ! ! !
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update, Gotlin, that's wonderful news! Celebrate Celebrate Celebrate
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:16 pm

That's a great diagram , Teresa. Great job

Igo's reaction to the mirror kind of sounds like a male to me as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:18 pm

gotlin wrote:
Very good news ! ! !

My vet said that Igo is better, and he's very happy because he think he could fly away one day !
He said me that when he could stand up on one of his legs then I could leave him. He said me to came back to his ambulatory the day before I want to leave him because he want to control the conditions of Igo !

Well, he said there isn't any problem of infections or similar, he said that Igo is really good, oh and Igo gave little bite to my vet hands ! I was very happy because he showed a lot of vitality !

Now I bought grit, also my vet said me to buy it and he said that the antibiotic I gave to him wasn't a problem for calcium. Now I'll give to Igo anti-inflamatory for a few days, and then I stop all therapy and we have only to hope.

thanks to all of you ! ! !

This is wonderful news. YESS!!
I'm so glad Igo is doing better, Gotlin. Thrilled
Back to top Go down
gotlin

gotlin

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:13 pm

I want to show you Igo today. I take these pictures some hours ago.

He's better, now is not flattened as he was in the first picture I posted (it's my profile's photo), and you can see a little bit of a foot, this is the proof that he's better ! !

Happy pigeon 246879_175443839176935_100001339602220_382074_3259261_n

Happy pigeon 246879_175443842510268_100001339602220_382075_665138_n

Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Appreciate the update, Gotlin. Smile
Igo does look more alert and looks like he is feeling better. Great job
He's sure a handsome pij. Happy
Back to top Go down
technocactus

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 9:41 am

Handsome Igo Happy pigeon 893919 Happy pigeon 893919 Happy pigeon 893919 Happy pigeon 893919 Happy pigeon 893919
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 5:45 pm

He does look beter, and very alert, but I'm a bit concerned about the wet area around his left eye. I can't quite see the other eye, but it looks dry. Considering that a few days ago he was making a strange sound when he was breathing, you will need to ask your vet to check if he has a respiratory disease. The worst one is ornithosis, also called chlamydiosis or psittacicosis, and the symptoms are these:

Teresa wrote:
If he's wheezing, having problems breathing, or breathing with his mouth open, then that's serious. It indicates an inflammation or infection of the air sacs and the lungs. The symptoms above, when accompanied by discharge from the eyes or the nose, and diarrhoea, are typical of ornithosis, which is very contagious, including to humans (it produces mild flu-like symptoms). If this is the case, he will need to see a vet as soon as possible and be medicated with an antibiotic for respiratory infections (Enrofloxacin, Cyprofloxin, Aureomycin, Doxycyclin, Chlortetracyclin or Doxy-T).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Happy pigeon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy pigeon   Happy pigeon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy pigeon
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next