Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hi I need some help...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shann8576

Hi I need some help... Empty
PostSubject: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 6:25 pm

I have a feral pigeon that broke its wing and won't fly again. I am wondering how big of cage he might need. I also have a cockatiel that could keep him company. In another cage of course. Would he learn to be happy in the house? Any advice is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Shann! PNA Welcome

Thank you for taking in the pigeon with the broken wing! Thanks
Pigeons who are loved and cared for can adapt to living indoors, especially if they have company. The ideal situation would be to adopt another disabled pigeon from a rescuer. Do you know what sex your pigeon is?
I don't have cockatiels, so I'm not sure how pigeons react to their vicinity. Generally they like the company of other birds -- providing the cockatiel's strong beak is out of reach...

About the size of the cage, I copied some info posted by our member Matilda. Please note that the size recommended is for one pigeon. If you consider having two at some point, might as well get one a little longer.

Matilda wrote:

A perfect size cage for a house pigeon is...30 inches long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches tall.
Pigeons prefer long rather than tall, such as parrot type birds.
The door should be big and close to the floor of the cage, which makes it easy to clean and easy for the pigeon to get in and out of.
I don't know if you have it there but a product that works well is 1/4 inch, heavy gage hard ware cloth.

Something like this would work and could be modified for him.
http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1266

I never use a wire bottom for birds as I think the wire is hard on their feet. I line the bottom with newspaper and maybe a small box with a towel in it to nest in. I also put a shelf across one end for the pigeon to roost on should he choose. Underneath, the water and food can be placed so it won't get soiled.
On the floor of the cage, I put a brick as a roost or perch. Pigeons do like flat surfaces to stand on rather that surfaces that are round.

I hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

There are also some useful ideas for shelving and accessories here:
http://www.pigeonangels.com/t869-helpful-hints-and-tips
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Welcome to Pigeon Angels, Shann. Hi there/Bye
Many thanks for taking in the injured pigeon.

Teresa has given you some great advice/suggestions.

Any chance you could post a picture of your little rescue. We love pictures. Smile

Please let us know how things are going with the pijjies new home (cage).
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
SplizzlahSavage

SplizzlahSavage

PostSubject: For The Heads up!   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Make sure if the pigeon was wild or outside coop pigeon, That he does not go near your tropical birds! for a disease that acts like a parasite can effect both your pigeon and the cocktiel . somehow it gets transfered from the pigeons to tropical birds. I have had this happen, It looks like a wart usually found on the nails of the birds foot, or the rim of the beak! it can grow and become fatal for both your pigeon and cockitel. Please be aware of this, and if you know you have ran into this problem, all you need to do is put Mineral oil on the birds infected area. ...Im just giving the heads up!
Back to top Go down
http://HomeBird.BlogSpot.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm

SplizzlahSavage wrote:
Make sure if the pigeon was wild or outside coop pigeon, That he does not go near your tropical birds! for a disease that acts like a parasite can effect both your pigeon and the cocktiel . somehow it gets transfered from the pigeons to tropical birds. I have had this happen, It looks like a wart usually found on the nails of the birds foot, or the rim of the beak! it can grow and become fatal for both your pigeon and cockitel. Please be aware of this, and if you know you have ran into this problem, all you need to do is put Mineral oil on the birds infected area. ...Im just giving the heads up!

Hmmm... that's a new one on me! Dozens of rescues and never a single one with those symptoms... do you know what it was, could it have been Pox? Any additional info would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi I need some help...   Hi I need some help... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi I need some help...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon and Dove Pets-
Jump to: