Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

I have a new squeaker

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

I have a new squeaker Empty
PostSubject: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

There are two new squeakers in my feral flock. The younger of the two, a dark check I called Specks visited for the first time today. He's very outgoing and even ate some small seeds out of my hand at lunchtime.
But in the evening he looked all fluffed up and miserable on top of the veranda roof, so I offered some more seed... and caught him.
He looks 4 weeks old, but has almost no down feathers on the sides of his body and under the wings. Beak and throat were normal, but I started him on Flagyl all the same. Tomorrow morning I'll give him some Synulox and, with better light, check him for mites and see what his poops are like. He's in quarentine, of course.

I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I hope Specks passes his mites and poop exam, Teresa. Fingers crossed
If you are able, we'd love to see a photo of him. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm

His poops are fine now. They'd started out a bit runny but they became normal overnight. Neither the Flagyl nor the antibiotic would work that fast, so I reckon he'd been weakened by repeated pigeon fly bites. There are lots of them around at the moment, horrible beasts!

He's doing really well. He's got a good appetite and can eat seeds and drink for himself, but I'm also hand-feeding him thawed peas and corn once a day.
I didn't see any mites, but just as a precaution I put a couple of drops of Ivermectin on the back of his neck. That should also protect him against worms for a month.

I haven't taken any photos of him yet because he doesn't like being handled and only calms down when he's a burrito... Laughing I'll see if he's willing to pose tomorrow! Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 7:28 am

I'm glad to hear the little squeaker is doing well. I have a new squeaker 142829
No worries about the picture. Smile
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 7:37 am

Hope you little one is being okay soon again - but in your hands - I have no worries Pigeon angel Universal hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 5:36 pm

He's getting on really well! I have a new squeaker 142829 He's feisty, and he's eating all by himself now. The poops are definitely normal. He just needs to grow some more down feathers!
I managed to take a couple of photos of him at medication time. They can't be very good, cause he wouldn't stay still -- either craning his neck to look through the window pane, or pulling his head down into the towel to see if there was another way out of the burrito... I'll check them tomorrow, and I hope one of them will be clear enough!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Here are the photos!

I have a new squeaker DSCNB9089-r550

I have a new squeaker DSCNB9090-r550

The bald patch on his neck was one the reasons I suspected canker.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 12:11 am

Specks pictures turned out great, Teresa. I have a new squeaker 142829
What a little cutie.
That is quite a little bald patch. I can see why you suspected canker.
He's sure alert.

Please keep us posted on how he's coming along.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

New emergency...

He was doing so well that, having finished his meds, I decided to release him after banding him to keep an eye on his progress.
Well... a few hours later he was back, limping badly!!! Serious EEK!! He just landed near me, on the windowsill, and I just picked him up without any resistance.

I thought his leg might be broken, but it wasn't. It is, however, bruised and very sore. There was some swelling on his thigh, but that disappeared after a couple of hours and an anti-inflammatory. He has the complete range of movements but favours that leg.
Something pulled handfulls of feathers off his leg, breaking several in the process, but the skin isn't broken anywhere and there are no wounds or scratches.

The danger of banding squeakers:

That was the leg where I'd put the band, a yellow one, and I think this is the last time I band a squeaker, as it is the second time a recently banded squeaker came back to me limping -- the first was Charlie (green band), and I took off her band to treat her, and only put it back last week, now she's full grown and feisty.

So I took off Specks' band, examined his leg, and then took this photo. Any thoughts as to who would do this? Another pigeon? A seagull?
It sure makes me wonder about his other bald patches...
I have a new squeaker DSCNB9105-r550
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Holy Sheep!! Speck's leg is literally scalped. Serious EEK!!
I don't know 'what' would have done that and not continued to do more damage. I have NO idea

It's not like there are a couple feathers missing due to a botched attack, that area is featherless.

Thankfully, he was able to get away from whatever it was.
Bless his sweet little heart for coming back to you. I have a new squeaker 983488 Pigeon angel

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 7:08 pm

He stood up on both legs today! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Just briefly, but he did it!
And this time he's not getting released until he's a lot bigger and stronger and can look after himself.

What happened to his leg is a mystery to me, too. As you said, Cindy, it's strange that he should have suffered such a scalping and have no broken skin, no bites and no scratches. I have two theories, one concerning his much bigger sibbling, who is very, very aggressive, capable of driving away most adults. The other is human action.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Teresa wrote:
He stood up on both legs today! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Just briefly, but he did it!
And this time he's not getting released until he's a lot bigger and stronger and can look after himself.

What happened to his leg is a mystery to me, too. As you said, Cindy, it's strange that he should have suffered such a scalping and have no broken skin, no bites and no scratches.

I have two theories, one concerning his much bigger sibbling, who is very, very aggressive, capable of driving away most adults. The other is human action.

YESS!! Way to go Specks!!

Whatever it was, I'm so glad he got away. I have a new squeaker 44767
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Me too! I have a new squeaker 44767 I have a new squeaker 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 am

I have a new squeaker 373410 Specks has recovered completely and he's free again! Happy Dance

I have a new squeaker DSCNB9186-Specks-r600-1

Look at all the new feather growth! YESS!!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 am

Thrilled Wonderful news, Teresa. YESS!!
Priceless picture and caption. I love it/them
Specks is just too cute. Tickled Pink

Many thanks for the update!! Smile
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 am

Teresa - I just had to hold my belly laughing - you really made my day with this picture!
I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758 I have a new squeaker 321758
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks, Cindy and Petra! Thank You circling

Specks is really funny! He must have been bullied before, but now he's good at standing out for himself!
I love it when they get all independent and feisty! Happy
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Teresa wrote:
Thanks, Cindy and Petra! Thank You circling

Specks is really funny! He must have been bullied before, but now he's good at standing out for himself!
I love it when they get all independent and feisty! Happy

I have a new squeaker 395766

That picture, and caption, of Specks and the other two is truly priceless. Way To Go
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm

He's become very capable of looking after himself! Great job

He still comes into the veranda for a treat and a snooze on top of George's cage, but don't tell his pals! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 am

Teresa wrote:
He's become very capable of looking after himself! Great job

He still comes into the veranda for a treat and a snooze on top of George's cage, but don't tell his pals! That's too funny

Way to go Specks. I have a new squeaker 142829

Gotta love it!! Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a new squeaker   I have a new squeaker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have a new squeaker
Page 1 of 1