Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests

Go down 
+6
NiteOwl
Jenaka
Capuccino
Matilda
AZWhitefeather
Cynthia
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cynthia

Cynthia

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Empty
PostSubject: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Need some help

Mini Pidge, one of John\'s PMV survivors has been a single Mum for some time now. We think that she thinks that Kermit is her mate, but he has never taken his turn at egg sitting, because his real mate is Glory, so that is a job that poor Mini does alone.

Today I noticed a large glossy male pigeon sitting on her eggs, looking as pleased as punch. He is Oily Ollie, whose mate Juvie died last summer. Great! I thought, they have found each other...but no, Ollie has found the eggs and considers them his own, he won\'t let Mini near them. I picked him off the nest, but he hurried back and gently drew the eggs under his chest. In the meantime Mini is so distressed that she has started spinning.

What do I do??? confused

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests 2855850180044786621S200x200Q85

Last edited by Cynthia on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Crisis over!!! Or at least I hope it is. Mini's nest is a plant pot, so I got an identical one, put it as close to hers as I could get it (Beatriz is nesting between the pots), put two eggs on it and then put Ollie on the eggs. So far, he seems content. Mini is back on her nest...but the pot I gave Ollie is one used by Cilla and Griffy, so I had to find them a new pot!

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests 2783357560044786621S200x200Q85

Last edited by Cynthia on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Cynthia wrote:
:Need some help

Mini Pidge, one of John's PMV survivors has been a single Mum for some time now. We think that she thinks that Kermit is her mate, but he has never taken his turn at egg sitting, because his real mate is Glory, so that is a job that poor Mini does alone.

Today I noticed a large glossy male pigeon sitting on her eggs, looking as pleased as punch. He is Oily Ollie, whose mate Juvie died last summer.

Great! I thought, they have found each other...but no, Ollie has found the eggs and considers them his own, he won't let Mini near them. I picked him off the nest, but he hurried back and gently drew the eggs under his chest. In the meantime Mini is so distressed that she has started spinning.

What do I do??? confused
Holy Sheep!! Shock
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Cynthia wrote:

Crisis over!!! Or at least I hope it is.

Mini's nest is a plant pot, so I got an identical one, put it as close to hers as I could get it, put two eggs on it and then put Ollie on the eggs. So far, he seems content. Mini is back on her nest...but the pot I gave Ollie is one used by Cilla and Griffy, so I had to find them a new pot!
Rescued Pigeons swapping nests 44767 I hope so too, Cynthia.
Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 pm

I've added pictures to the first two posts.

Thrilled
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Cynthia wrote:
I've added pictures to the first two posts.

Thrilled
Thanks for posting the pictures. Smile
The pots are Right on nests. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 3:18 pm

I tell you...this could be a TV drama! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 9:43 am

Oh, I give up!

Although Ollie settled quite happily on Nest # 2, whenever we checked him he was back on Nest # 1.

Then I noticed that sometimes Ollie was on Nest #1, other times it was Mini Pidge, so I thought that they might have worked out a routine, but then I noticed Mini was sitting on Nest #2 while Ollie was on Nest #1.

Today I noticed a wet Ollie standing near the nests, no sign of Mini ...but Kermit was caring for the eggs in Nest#1...back home from lunch with my brother I found Ollie on Nest#1, Mini on Nest#2 and presumably Kermit was back on the nest that he shares with Glory.

They are all probably just as confused as I am!

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:59 pm

I look forward to seeing this game of 'musical nests' next weekend LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:25 pm

Too funny! As long as they are occupied. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Quote :
Too funny! As long as they are occupied

What I love about our pigeons is that although they are "caged", they are always busy doing something: twigging, mating, egg sitting, eating, showing off, flirting, bathing, showering, sun bathing, preening, challenging, displaying, flirting.... The saddest thing I have seen is rows of pigeons on the floor of an aviary, doing absolutely nothing!

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Mine are always busy too although there are those few that mostly supervise.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Quote :

What I love about our pigeons is that although they are "caged", they are always busy doing something: twigging, mating, egg sitting, eating, showing off, flirting, bathing, showering, sun bathing, preening, challenging, displaying, flirting.... The saddest thing I have seen is rows of pigeons on the floor of an aviary, doing absolutely nothing!

Cynthia
I've thought the same thing many times. Except when napping my birds are never still. I remember watching a video on YouTube a while ago. There was about 30 or so fantail pigeons. They stood on the floor of the loft 6 or so inches from each other. And just stood there. I then realized they just stood there because there was nothing else for them to do. There were no perches, no nest boxes, no food, no baths, nothing. Just a bare room. It was like a prison cell. I found it very disturbing. Very sad :For Shame:
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Yes, it is very disturbing. Having a bad day
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:12 am

Cynthia wrote:
Oh, I give up!

Although Ollie settled quite happily on Nest # 2, whenever we checked him he was back on Nest # 1.

Cynthia
I'm kind of having the same problem, Cynthia.

Since I moved the aviary out to the patio, Malio and Sadie feel they can hoard in on Mikko, Pij'ette and Samantha. I found Mikko and Sam on the ground looking up at their 'space' watching Sadie getting nestled in Sam's basket. Seeing red/mad

After spending the night in the 'motel' I let them out only to find them back at Mikko's place starting all over again.

They thing is, neither Mikko, Pij'ette nor Sam have ever caused trouble. In fact, they very rarely leave their area.

They only started doing this since I moved the aviary. Everything was put back exactly how it was. I have NO idea

They're back in the motel and I'm at my wits end. I just DON'T get it

Cindy
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:16 am

Jenaka wrote:

I remember watching a video on YouTube a while ago. There was about 30 or so fantail pigeons. They stood on the floor of the loft 6 or so inches from each other. And just stood there. I then realized they just stood there because there was nothing else for them to do. There were no perches, no nest boxes, no food, no baths, nothing. Just a bare room. It was like a prison cell. I found it very disturbing. Very sad :For Shame:
Makes one want to cry. Very sad

As far as I'm concerned, that's flat out abuse in my book. Evil, wrong doing
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:02 pm

This post is too much. LOL. Just reading it, I feel worn out. Pigeons sure do keep one busy. Always something going on. What did we do before we had them. Oh ya, probably the housework that never seems to get caught up now. Too funny!
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:52 am

Quote :
What did we do before we had them. Oh ya, probably the housework that never seems to get caught up now.

I'm glad I'm not alone in that! Laughing

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 am

NiteOwl wrote:
This post is too much. LOL. Just reading it, I feel worn out. Pigeons sure do keep one busy. Always something going on.

What did we do before we had them. Oh ya, probably the housework that never seems to get caught up now. Too funny!
So true! LOL
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 am

Cindy, have things gotten any better with Malio and Sadie? I have a problem bird right now, and am trying different things with him. Maybe they are just tired of their own place and need a change. So that's the change they have chosen. Maybe if you could set up a new place somewhere, they might take that over. On occasion, one of mine, usually Sammy, decides that he wants to try a new spot. I have found them in the weirdest places. He hides so well, that I have freaked out, thinking they had somehow gotten out of the loft, as I couldn't find them! I bet if they had a new place to take over, they would leave the others space alone.
Sammy even built a nest in a bag of pine needles that I had tucked away. It was funny. He made a little bowl in the needles, and scoffed up every ones moulted feathers and added them to it.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 am

NiteOwl wrote:
Cindy, have things gotten any better with Malio and Sadie? I have a problem bird right now, and am trying different things with him. Maybe they are just tired of their own place and need a change. So that's the change they have chosen. Maybe if you could set up a new place somewhere, they might take that over. On occasion, one of mine, usually Sammy, decides that he wants to try a new spot. I have found them in the weirdest places. He hides so well, that I have freaked out, thinking they had somehow gotten out of the loft, as I couldn't find them! I bet if they had a new place to take over, they would leave the others space alone.
Sammy even built a nest in a bag of pine needles that I had tucked away. It was funny. He made a little bowl in the needles, and scoffed up every ones moulted feathers and added them to it.

Picture please!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 am

NiteOwl wrote:

* Cindy, have things gotten any better with Malio and Sadie?

I have a problem bird right now, and am trying different things with him.

** Maybe they are just tired of their own place and need a change.
So that's the change they have chosen.

*** Maybe if you could set up a new place somewhere, they might take that over.

* I appreciate you asking. Sadly no, things haven't changed.
It seems to be Malio and Dolly who are the trouble makers. :For Shame:

** I thought about that.
The thing is, Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam are perfectly content with their area and have NEVER bothered any of the other birds or gone to Malio or Dolly's area. Malio and Dolly, on the other hand, both want Mikko's space. It just wouldn't be fair to up root Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam.

*** There are only three corners in the aviary where these guys can nest. If I had a loft of sorts, it would be a different situation. They could easily go find another nesting area.

Right now Mailio and Dolly are 'vacationing' (each in separate cages) and everything is dandy in the aviary. Their respective mates, Sadie and Dumpling are behaving themselves just fine.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 11:46 am

[quote="Fancyfeathers"]
NiteOwl wrote:

[b]*:

** I thought about that.
The thing is, Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam are perfectly content with their area and have NEVER bothered any of the other birds or gone to Malio or Dolly's area. Malio and Dolly, on the other hand, both want Mikko's space. It just wouldn't be fair to up root Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam.

*** There are only three corners in the aviary where these guys can nest. If I had a loft of sorts, it would be a different situation. They could easily go find another nesting area.

Right now Mailio and Dolly are 'vacationing' (each in separate cages) and everything is dandy in the aviary. Their respective mates, Sadie and Dumpling are behaving themselves just fine.

What I meant, wasn't to uproot Mikko, Pij'ette and Sam. I meant that the two trouble makers might go to a new place if there was one. I know what you mean about not enough room. In my loft, there are so many large windows that it doesn't leave me a lot of wall space when I want to add something. Maybe there is another place that you just haven't thought ofto add a nest. The two trouble makers would probably fight over it I'm having a bit of trouble with Mica, as he likes to guard everything in the loft. He'll settle down eventually I'm sure. If one thing doesn't work, another will. I'm trying to figure it out. I'm hoping he will get better as he matures. If not, I'll just remove him from the loft for a while, let the others relax, and by the time I bring him back, he'll have lost his pecking order. I know something will work. I'm stronger and more stubborn than he is. LOL.

Last edited by NiteOwl on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Matilda wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

Picture please!

Okay Charis, here's a picture of Sammy's "NEST IN A BAG". I went to get some pine needles out of the bag. There was only a very small hole in the bag, I had to tear it open. But Sammy got in somehow, and this is what I found.
Rescued Pigeons swapping nests SammysBaggedNest015

He's a very odd little guy. He always choses out of the way places so you can't get to them. Maybe he's just very smart. If I can't get to it, or find it, I can't change out the eggs. LOL. Right now, he's out there starting a nest in the handicapped box with a ramp that was originally for Cricket who can't fly. But she has taken over a box one row up, with the help of perches and shelves to be able to hop up to it. My birds are all crazy! However there is a good chance that they got that way living with me. I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:23 pm

"However there is a good chance that they got that way living with me. "

Ya think?! Happy Dance Ha!Ha!Ha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Pigeons swapping nests   Rescued Pigeons swapping nests Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescued Pigeons swapping nests
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next