Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
EdAldrich

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Empty
PostSubject: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Greetings. I have never posted here (or anywhere else) before, but a friend from this site asked me if I would do so. I am not a writer by trade, so forgive me if I tend to ramble on. This post is regarding a Pigeon that showed up at my pool. It had apparently been there for two days before one of my room mates told me about it. As soon as I heard there was an odd bird pooping on the patio furniture I went out back to take a look, and sure enough there was a banded pigeon laying in the corner of our fence.
I immediately knew there was something very wrong with this bird, as it was laying on its side. It made no effort to resist as I picked it up, and I was shocked to see how far it's breast bone was protruding through it's feathers. The bird could barely hold up it's own head, it was emaciated and obviously dehydrated. I had a few choice words for my room mate for waiting two days to mention the bird, but wasted no time berating him. I have had an African Gray Parrot for 22 years, so I have a fairly well stocked first aid kit. First I mixed up some multi vitamins into a cup of Pedialyte and filled a feeding syringe. I didn't have to force the pigeon to take it, in fact it sucked up every drop of a 20 ml syringe placed at the side of it beak, Twice! (In a 2 hour hour period.) I made a run to the pet store for some grubs and meal worms, ground em up into a paste with more vitamins and sugar, mixed with 20 ml of pedialyte and fed it about ten ml every two hours for the next 24 hours. This I had to force feed.
During this time I started trying to track the numbers on it leg band. I had written the numbers down earlier because I had to cut the band off. The leg was very swollen and limp, and I didn't want the band to cut off circulation. After a few emails, I found the band was registered with the American Racing Pigeon Union. After contacting them they were able to find the owner and have him call me. His name was Marcus and he released the pigeon 10 days earlier in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. (I am in Naples, easily 150 miles away.) He was grateful that I was taking care of the bird, but had no interest in coming to get it. "I have lot's of birds," he said, "and to tell the truth I didn't even know it was missing." He went on to tell me I could keep it, take it to the humane society or just let it go. (It is perhaps best that i was not face to face with this person.... as I suspect he would have been injured.)
Anyway, The swollen leg was bothering me, as were the feces. Being a parrot owner I knew there were issues that needed to be addressed. At this point I found this site, and Teresa. She has been incredible, sending all kinds of info and links to try and diagnose the little guys problems. It looked like Salmonellosis might be to blame, so Teresa was able to give me the correct dosage of an antibiotic I had on hand. After a week on Cipro, little guy was doing a lot better, however the leg was still swollen and the foot seemed broken. At this point Teresa referred me to Reti, (also on this site.) Reti told me about CROW, a rescue/rehab about an hour from Naples. She has also offered to let me use her Vet Dollars coupons, as well as mail me some medicines for something called Ciccoda, or something like that.
I had made arrangements to take the pigeon to my Vet in Ft. Myers, who was going to take a look at the bird then arrange to have it picked up by CROW. I don't have a car, so I had to recruit a friend to drive us to the Vets office, a half hour away. The day we were making the trip, we were about three miles from my home when a jackass ran a red light and T-Boned us. (I swear this Pigeon must be cursed!) Car was totaled, I cracked a Rib and my friend broke an arm and his hip. The Pigeon was not further injured in the incident, but it never made it to CROW.
So.... despite the fact that this bird is gaining back some weight and taking an interest in preening itself, it still has what I think is a busted foot, and very likely torn tendons in the knee. I spoke with my vet, and he says that considering the time frame since the injury probably occurred, amputation is probably in order, though he can't say for sure without seeing the bird. There is a vet close to where I live, though I have never used him, and he gave me a quote of 185.00 to amputate the crushed foot. If I had that kind of money I could Hire a cab to deliver this little guy to my vet in Ft. Myers! All I want to do is get the little guy out of pain and then set him free. There is a barn across the street with dozens of doves and pigeons, so I know he could find a flock around here, plus there is always plenty of seed as I empty my parrots food dish out back every day and there are always birds out there chowing down on his scraps.
If anyone knows a vet around the Naples area who might be willing to help, please email me here. Please don't bother mentioning the Conservancy of Naples, as they are required (by law, they say) to kill any bird they receive that is not native to Florida. (So much for Conservation.) Even if someone could offer a ride to Ft. Myers from Naples, my Vet will ensure the little guy gets to CROW on Sanibel. So that's it. I would like to Thank Teresa and Reti for all their help and support throughout this ordeal, as well as AZWhitefeather for taking the time to create and maintain a site like this. I may be more of a parrothead than a pigeonhead, but whatever your orientation it is awesome to find a place like this where you can find help for a feathered friend.

Ed Aldrich
Naples FL

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Ed, Hi there/Bye
Welcome to Pigeon Angels. Smile

First and foremost, many thanks for helping this poor little lost pij. You are a true pigeon angel. Pigeon angel

I am so very sorry to hear about the accident and that you and your friend were injured. Very sad
Wishing you both a speedy recovery. YESS!!

Sadly, many pigeon fanciers are less that excited about getting back one of their pigeons who has become lost, ill or injured while on a flight. Very sad

It's wonderful there are people like you who will take in a pigeon in need without hesitation.

Is there any chance of posting a photo of the injured leg/foot?

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

I would also like to extend a special thanks to Teresa and Reti for their assistance.
You're the best. Pigeon angel Pigeon angel Universal hug

To the three of you . . .

YOU rock LOTS!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EdAldrich

PostSubject: About the picture   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi Cindy. Thanks for the kind words. I can absolutely post a picture or four.... if you could clue me in as to How. (I am sort of computer stupid.)
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi, Ed! Hi there/Bye Welcome

Thank you so much for writing about your rescue, as everything that can be learned from each individual case will undoubtedly be helpful to others who may find themselves in a similar situation.
And especially thank you for doing everything in your power to help the pigeon! Thanks At a time when life is difficult for so many and insecurity takes its toll, it's heartwarming to come across someone so kind and generous! Way To Go

I'm so sorry about the problems you've been experiencing, and hope your cracked rib is much better and that your friend is also better. Sorry also about the attitude of 'the owner', for whom a bird is only a number, and who apparently can't count anyway... Evil, wrong doing

I hope you will still be able to get someone experienced in birds to have a look at the pigeon's leg. Such a shame your vet is half an hour's drive away and your attempt to get there ended in disaster! I'll keep everything crossed that another chance will come by, and I hope it won't be necessary to have his leg amputated. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Teresa. Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured 142829
Back to top Go down
EdAldrich

PostSubject: Failure to Post Pictures   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Okay... like I said.... I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Can I email somebody my pictures and have YOU post them here? I have failed in both attempts!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Posting pictures can be a bit trying. Disappointed

I'd be happy to give it a go, if you'd like to email me the pictures. Smile
azwhitefeather@aol.com
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:00 pm

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured PIJ1

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured PIJ2

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured PIJ3
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 pm

The leg does look broken. The blood circulation looks good, but seeing the way the foot hangs it's either a non-union, or too painful to stand on -- he's lifting up the entire left side of his body to avoid putting weight on it.

A good vet like Reti's might still be able to save that leg by cleaning and pinning the bones until they heal. Failing that, it is very important not to let it infect, so he should stay on antibiotics for now.
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you for taking care of the poor pigeon, Ed. And I'm so sorry about your car accident. What an awful day that must have been for you!!

I wish I could help, but I'm on the opposite end of the country, in Canada no less!
So I just wanted to send my good wishes your way and I'll be praying that you'll be able to find the local assistance that you need.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Ed, Hi there/Bye

How's the little fellow? Is he able to put any weight on that leg now?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 am

Thank you for posting the photos, Teresa. Thank You
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:25 pm

No bother! Happy I think my daughter installed a programme in my computer to 'read' her photos taken with the cell phone. It must have just kicked in and opened the files as jpeg without me having to do any work at all! That's too funny Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured 142829
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Teresa wrote:
No bother! Happy

I think my daughter installed a programme in my computer to 'read' her photos taken with the cell phone.
It must have just kicked in and opened the files as jpeg without me having to do any work at all!
That's too funny Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured 142829

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured 219375 Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Has anyone heard how this pigeon is doing? I've been offline for a while & wondering if there are any new updates! Hopefully things are good & his foot is on the mend!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 am

Sad news... Very sad

EdAldrich wrote:

Very sad
Hi Teresa.
I just got an update from CROW.... I am very sad to say the little guy apparently had Avian Pox and didn't survive. I feel like crap. Anyway, I just wanted to send out my Thanks for all your efforts. Reti and AZWhitefeather too... I wish the outcome had been better.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured   Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racing Pigeon Abandoned after going off course and Injured
Page 1 of 1