Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Recent rescue, ended quickly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

Recent rescue, ended quickly Empty
PostSubject: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi guys! Hi there/Bye

Long time no see! Hope you're all doing well... I just wanted to share my thoughts about my recent rescue. It happened really fast. I found a bird outside a couple of days ago, cowering in the bushes. He (or she) was in bad shape... took him in and gave him shelter/food. I was afraid the neighborhood cats would get him. Unfortunately, he died sometime in the morning while I was at work. I was pretty bummed when I found out. Having a bad day

This is a picture of the little guy:
[img]Recent rescue, ended quickly Sick_p10[/img]
I can't say for sure what illness he had, but I have a feeling it was Salmonella. He couldn't fly, and I noticed his poops were similar the ones posted on that Chevita website.

It sucks because I didn't even have any antibiotics on hand. So this has been a real wake-up call to me, to have some of the most common and helpful meds on hand for emergencies.

I know we've chatted about this before, but I wanted to revisit the topic once again with you guys to get your input. Would you be willing to share what you think are the most helpful medications to have on hand as part of your "pigeon medicine cabinet?"

Or, if you already have a list somewhere on the forum, can you share the link with me?

Thank You circling

Oh, and I guess it would help if the meds are available in North America, since I'm a Canuck!
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 pm

whoa! Wait a minute! I don't think I should be designated as a "guardian angel".... that's strange! Or did you change something here?! Serious EEK!! lol
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi, Joyful_pigeon!

I'm sorry your little rescue didn't make it. Poor thing, at least she had someone to care for her and keep her safe on her last day.

As a general idea, I always have a choice of antibiotics at hand: Baytril/Cipro (broad spectrum), TMS (easier on the digestive tract) and Synulox/clavamox (great for the youngest ones). Next, something for canker, Flagyl and/or Spartrix; for coccidiosis I use Coximed; Nystatin, for yeast infections /sour crop; and for worms, the best is Moxidectin Plus, but I normally use Ivermectin and Pyranthel Pamoate.
In the cupboard there's always non-dairy baby cereal and baby apple sauce, a good probiotic, ACV, calcium+vitamin D3, and multivitamins.
I always keep frozen peas and corn in the freezer.
I also keep betadine solution (for bathing wounds), hydrogen peroxide (or some other means to staunch bleeding), antibiotic ointment, arnica gel (for swelling), self-sticking bandages, gauze and gentle adhesive tape. Plus a host of syringes for tube feeding and meds, and stuff for string injuries: small scissors, tweezers, a seam picker and a tiny spotlight. Ah, and a heating pad -- the one I've got is meant for reptiles and it's very good: constant, gentle heat that never switches off.

Just a few ideas. I'm sure others will have more to add, like DMSO, for example (I haven't got that one yet!)

PS. I agree that your rank shouldn't be 'guardian angel'... everybody knows you're a cute little devil!! That's too funny I'm sure Cindy will sort it out!
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Thank You Teresa, for your reply! That list is very helpful. YOU rock

I'm writing it down right after I send this post. :) I have a few of those items already, so luckily I won't be starting completely from scratch...
Thanks for the tip about the heating pad for reptiles-- I never would have thought to look for one like that!

At the top of my shopping list is Baytril. It's something I've been meaning to buy for a looong time. Enough procrastinating. I want to be prepared for any future pigeons and birds in need.

It's good to hear your "voice," Teresa. Hugs to you! Recent rescue, ended quickly 35455

Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Teresa wrote:
PS. I agree that your rank shouldn't be 'guardian angel'... everybody knows you're a cute little devil!! That's too funny I'm sure Cindy will sort it out!

Ve-ry funny! Recent rescue, ended quickly 46723 haha.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Holy Cow I am so sorry.
Correction made. Pigeon angel
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm

It was great to hear from you too, Joyful_pigeon! Universal hug

You know, I had a sharp reminder today that even when you have all sorts of meds at hand, you can still have major problems. Like the fact that I don't know how to inject pigeons with sub-q fluids and meds, when they have such severe diarrhea that everything goes right through them, or when a canker blockage prevents them from reaching the intestine.
I'm quite sure that if I didn't have a good avian vet who can do all that and so much more, my poor little Halo would have been critical by now.

I really feel for those who don't have that kind of support, or who have to pay thousands of dollars for a single consultation. I'm no expert, and my experience is very limited in certain areas, but I sure hope that by sharing what I have learned, and continue to learn, I may be of some help to other pigeons and the angels who care for them.
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 pm

AZWhitefeather wrote:
Holy Cow I am so sorry.
Correction made. Pigeon angel

No worries! Thanks for fixing me up. :)

Teresa wrote:
It was great to hear from you too, Joyful_pigeon! Universal hug

You know, I had a sharp reminder today that even when you have all sorts of meds at hand, you can still have major problems. Like the fact that I don't know how to inject pigeons with sub-q fluids and meds, when they have such severe diarrhea that everything goes right through them, or when a canker blockage prevents them from reaching the intestine.
I'm quite sure that if I didn't have a good avian vet who can do all that and so much more, my poor little Halo would have been critical by now.

I really feel for those who don't have that kind of support, or who have to pay thousands of dollars for a single consultation. I'm no expert, and my experience is very limited in certain areas, but I sure hope that by sharing what I have learned, and continue to learn, I may be of some help to other pigeons and the angels who care for them.

That's very true. You're lucky to have an excellent avian vet nearby... I don't even have any vets who are willing to treat pigeons in my city! Disappointed It's lucky we have forums like this one to learn from each other when we need to treat the pigeons ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Are you managing to get your first-aid supplies OK? I hope so, let us knowif you need any more links.

Talking about links, if you haven't explored this one, have a go, as it's full of clever, time-saving, mess-saving ideas for pigeon accessories -- and many of them don't cost any money!
http://www.pigeonangels.com/t869-helpful-hints-and-tips

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent rescue, ended quickly   Recent rescue, ended quickly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent rescue, ended quickly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: