Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Feeding organic millet

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

Feeding organic millet Empty
PostSubject: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 am

I have realized that all of our pigeons have learned to love millet. Yes - the very small golden seeds and they are all crazy for it.
It took a few weeks until they realized what kind of precious and nutritious grain this is and in the meanwhile they even go for it rather than their beloved sunflower hearts.

As this grain is one of the most healthy and nutritious cereals I believe that it helps to keep the birds healthy. Normally pigeons don't really like to pick up the very small grains first but in this case they have changed their minds. They have even learned a new technique of eating: instead of picking up a single grain and swallow they pick up several grains and then swallow. This way it is much more economical for them.

Interesting isn't it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Lol, nice one! It's just what I do eating M&Ms!!! Feeding organic millet 321758

My Piper LOVES millet, in fact at the moment I'm adding a small amount to her pigeon mix to get her to eat, as the antibiotic has really decreased her appetite. I've only ever let the pigeons have very small amounts, because I thought maybe they were hard to digest.

Anything you find out about millet and their suitability for pigeons, please share. Piper will be very happy if it should turn out it's safe to give her more.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 am

Teresa - no need for worrying - I use organic hulled millet that is meant for human consumption. It should be perfect to stimulate the appetite of Piper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Aha! Thanks, Petra!
The one I've got is the ordinary one for birds, so I'll look for the hulled millet in the health shops. Thank You
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Interesting! Thanks for the tip!
I'll have to try adding hulled millet to my birds' feed to see if they enjoy it as much as your birds do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding organic millet   Feeding organic millet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feeding organic millet
Page 1 of 1