Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

greetings to all and a few questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rafal

Rafal

greetings to all and a few questions Empty
PostSubject: greetings to all and a few questions   greetings to all and a few questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 4:24 am

Hello all.

I am very happy to find a web site like this with so many people caring about animals (pigeons). I myself have been an extra parent for the pigeon for a few months now. It started dramaticaly when out neighbour daughter came to me and say that there is a bird on the grass and she thinks its dying. When i got there i saw this grey ball of fluff flapping and rolling on the grass. It was a very young pigeon who has crashed on my nejghbours window during his first flight as i presumed from the mark on their window, and after checking him over it appeared his right wing is broken. I did not have money to take it to vets so i had to do all the checkups myself as best as i could, he seem to be fine in general just right wing wasnt opening properly and also he wasnt eating or drinking. As i have no funds to look for professional advice i decided to give it a shot with my knowledge and a bit of heart. I started feeding it every 6 hours with the syringe ( mixture of breadcrumbs and milk around 2cm on every feeding ) and after few days he started eating on his own from a little bowl, i had no cage or any container so i just used an open fruit crate i attached a stick to the top with some tape and left it uncovered, surprisingly the pigeon wasnt trying to escape, he wud sleep on the bottom and then it on the stick during the day. That gave me a good hopes that he was feeling safe and comfortable and he will survive. It has been a few months since that day, i got him a big parrot cage and he became a part of the family, unfortunately he will not be able to fly as his right wing does not open fully. Well i guess he will stay with us for good and i absolutely dont mind.

Following this story i have a few questions to ask as i have no knowledge about birds whatsoever. How do i recognise if his happy if there is a way? sometimes he makes a funny sounds like trying to talk but its a rather deep wheezing noise and it happens very occasionaly.

Well i guess thats the story till date, thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: greetings to all and a few questions   greetings to all and a few questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Rafal, nice to meet you! Welcome

Thank you for helping that youngster, he wouldn't have stood a chance if you hadn't taken him in.

Pigeons can be very good house pets, and yours can be happy having you for company if he has bonded to you. This bonding can involve a parent-baby relationship or even, as the pigeon matures, he/she may elect you as a mate.
Expecting to be fed is a baby's attitude towards a parent, or a female's attitude towards her chosen mate. That shows itself as 'nibbling' your fingers for food. If you reward that with a treat, you're accepting that special relationship, and the pigeon will be totally dedicated to you.
Soft, low sounds, more similar to a cat's purring than bird noises, are a sign of affection. But if they're not directed to you specifically, it would mean he's calling for a mate, especially if he makes those sounds shortly after seeing another pigeon. If this is the case, after determining the gender for sure, it would be best to get him a mate.

Not everybody is in a position to take a pigeon to a vet. That's a major drawback, but we have lots of experienced members and friends in the UK who, I'm sure, would do their best to help you. If you are on Facebook, please also consider joining Pigeon Angels on Facebook. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rafal

Rafal

PostSubject: Re: greetings to all and a few questions   greetings to all and a few questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks for a nice reply, about my fingers.. well when i stick fingers thru the cage or put my hand inside she will hit it quiet hard with the beack like she was defending. From behavioral side i think its a female as she pays no attention to the mirror and eyes are quiet higher than the beack. When i open the cage she will fly out and walk on the carpet there is no problems with touching her and she does not run away from me when i sit next to her so i think all looks good, ocasionaly she will fall from her shelf during the night when its dark which makes me laugh but all around she is a quiet nice pet.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: greetings to all and a few questions   greetings to all and a few questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Yes, she could well be a female from what you say, but her reaction when you stick your fingers through the cage would mean she feels quite territorial about it!
Now, if your reason for putting your fingers through the cage should be to offer a treat... Happy Try shelled sunflower seeds or broken up raw peanuts. Even if she doesn't take notice at first because she doesn't recognise it as food, by the time she tastes it she'll love it! (only small amounts, though, as they're very rich in fat.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: greetings to all and a few questions   greetings to all and a few questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

greetings to all and a few questions
Page 1 of 1