Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Sore Foot?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Three days ago, Ozzy decided to try flying while they were playing out of their cage. He flew from my shoulder over to the cage. He seemed to land on it funny, and started favoring his left foot. I thought I would get it checked out at the vets; xrays show nothing broken or fractured, there is no swelling nor heat, no visible bruising or anything to suggest he is injured (also checked for string or hair, nothing is catching his toes). There is no discoloration, flaking of the skin, changes in texture, etc. I've seen him walk around just fine on it, only to sit down and limp while Gary or I walk into their room. He's eating very well, flying a bit, drinking, pooping normally. He's just favoring his foot and now using his wings to brace himself as he walks when we are in his line of sight. I am wondering if he is playing "sick" for attention? He is getting more snuggles and pats now because we feel bad for him. However the vet thinks there is nothing wrong physically, and he probably bruised his foot at some point (the landing). She thinks he could be doing what our cats do and play sick for attention. She is an avian vet too, she is the only one around here that sees birds of any kind. Any ideas or suggestions? I was lucky to not be charged at the vet, and don't have the funds to drive to the coast to see another avian vet for a second opinion. Thanks muchly!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Well...maybe you should take him it a therapist that treats Pigeons?! That's too funny
Honestly, maybe it is a little sore...maybe he is pretending to get attention or may be a little of both.

Did you feel where the leg connects to the body to see if there is any swelling? The problem could be higher up rather than the foot itself.

Sure would like to have the contact info for the vet so we can add it to our resource list.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 pm

We did check all the joints, wings, neck, everything. Nothing appears out of the ordinary. The vet we used is:

Westbank Animal Care Hospital
Dr. Darcy Rae
2429 Drought Road, Westbank, BC
(250)768-4688
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Appreciate the vet's contact information. 🆒

I suspect your baby will be back to normal within a weeks time.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Wonderful, thanks! pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Tara,
Chances are Ozzy is playing the 'sympathy' game just a bit ( I love it/them ), but I would still keep an eye on him to make sure. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank You for the contact info.
Matilda's list is growing by leaps and bounds. Celebrate
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks! I will keep double checking in case it's not just a play Wink And no problem with the vet listing! I know how difficult it can be to find a decent vet for a pet that isn't a cat or dog Oh brother
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:25 pm

:lol!: Well, turns out I was right! This morning I got up, did my routine of going into the birds' room, cleaned up, fresh food and water and check everyone over & playtime. Well, my boogerbutt Ozzy wasn't paying attention to me at all, he was walking around, flapping his wings and pecking at the teddybear I put in there - No Limp! Holy Sheep!! He did a double take when I said "Good Morning!", he looked like I caught him stealing cookies! :eek: He then proceeded to hunch down, rock on his ankles, using his wings to "support" himself and whimpering, looking at me like a wide eyed baby, lol! ROTFL Sooo, Diva got all the attention this morning, getting a treat for flying to me from the cage (instead of my carrying her around). Ozzy will not be rewarded for poor behavior, as I do not want him to repeat it, lol. Hopefully he will soon realize that the jig is up and he has to start being a big boy now Wink Thanks again everyone for your help! Thank You Group hug
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Too funny! Laughing
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Gotta love 'em. Happy Dance

Watch out Ozzy, Mom's on to you! Tickled Pink
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm

LOL! Yuppers, they keep me on my toes, lol! Diva is more than willing to fly to be with me, which is awesome That's too funny Ozzy is reverting, I think, typical male behavior Oh brother :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:18 am

It sounds as if Ozzy just wants to be a baby a bit longer. I think all animals have the intelligence to exploit us when they can.

One of my beloved dogs loved sympathy. If I said "Oh, pooooor Uther" he used to look very sorry for hiself and I swear his eyes would fill with tears...then I would say "Is that the little paw? Does it hurt?" and he would hold the paw up pathetically, then I would laugh and say "Oh, you naughty thing, there's nothing wrong with you!" and he would jump at me, laughing...

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
Capuccino

Capuccino

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 am

That Ozzy is amazing! I really would not have thought that pigeons would have the ablity to figure things out so well that they would choose to play poorly :)

But then, a perfectly able, self-feeding squeaker will squeak most pitifully if there's any chance of getting an adult to feed it.

There's still so much to learn about them Hmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:35 am

I love the story about Uther, Cynthia. Too cute. Tickled Pink
Capuccino wrote:
That Ozzy is amazing! I really would not have thought that pigeons would have the ablity to figure things out so well that they would choose to play poorly :)

But then, a perfectly able, self-feeding squeaker will squeak most pitifully if there's any chance of getting an adult to feed it.

There's still so much to learn about them Hmmm
I agree
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:00 pm

It's hilarious, since he got no attention yesterday, today all of a sudden he's A-OK LOL He even asked for snuggles today, without playing injured baby, LOL! Such a booger, but so dang lovable!

On a side note, tomorrow I should be getting in an injured finch (broken wing), to nurse back to health Happy Yup, I am slowly becoming a bird rescue, lol!
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Oh Dear   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Well today was another very long day to the vet and back. Ozzy's foot is indeed injured, but not broken. It is not getting enough blood circulation (foot is white, not colored like his other foot). Vet doesn't want to opperate fearing he will not survive the anasthetic. Ozzy is able to get around, holding his foot up and hopping. So, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Should we opperate? There is no break nor fracture, just a circulation problem. Vet is unsure if this is related to his injury or if it is genetic or what? Ozzy is fully functional, eating, drinking, pooping, bathing, flying, walking and snuggling.

2. Ozzy is really clingy right now, so much that he is wanting to be with me all the time. Should I baby him? I am prepared to make a sling so that I can carry him around, however I am not sure that would be good for him in the long run (I can't carry him all the time, and once he is more mobile, he will be spending more time with Diva).

3. What kind of pain medications are out there for pijis? The vet doesn't know just yet (doing research now), but I would like to find out from you all what we could possibly give him, if he needs it.

4. If we don't opperate, can Ozzy function well with only one leg? What should/can I do to make his life more comfortable (either way), by way of his home?

5. Anything else I should request from the vet? Any homeopathic rememdies (pain releivers mainly) that you recommend?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi Tara,

If the vet thinks it better not to operate, then I wouldn't operate...I have had several pigeons come through the anaesthetic without any problems, but one died.

I use Metacam for pain relief, a fully grown pigeon has one drop once a day, for something smaller, like a dove, I mix one drop with some water and give the dove half the mixture, so effectively it gets 1/2 of a drop. But I oly give painkillers if tere is evidence that they are in terrile pain, like when they are mangled, and then just for a couple of days.

I don't know what to suggest about the babying. I think I would want to baby him, but I agree that long term that might affect his settling...but I wouldn't deny him his cuddles altogether!

I wonder if gently massaging his foot would help?

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks Cynthia! I needed to hear that from someone else, I was worried about him not making it through surgery. I am not sure if his is in any pain, he doesn't act like it at all. He still puts a bit of weight on it and uses it to stretch out his wing (not sure what that is called, or if it is part of preening?). Right now they are both sitting with me in the A/C'd living room. He keeps rubbing his head against my arm, snuggled up beside me Group hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:57 pm

Ozzie sounds like an absolute doll baby. Tickled Pink
As far as him snuggling up to you and now wanting attention, they're like a child who is 'hurting' and wants to be close to 'Mom'. Wink

I will be thinking good thoughts that things turn around for him.

Please do keep us posted.

Cindy
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Crap   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I just DON'T get it I seem to have bad luck with my babies 🇳🇴 Today my sister came over to visit, so I was introducing her to Ozzy and Diva. Ozzy refused to come out, and Diva became utterly clingy, not wanting to go near my sister. Anyways, I let Diva fly over to their cage, like I always do, and she landed wrong. She now has a sore left foot, and is favoring it like Ozzy. I checked it out, nothing seems broken, but we are heading to the vet tomorrow (I wish they were closer!), just to be sure. I feel so bad, my kids are getting injured because I want them to learn to fly. Disappointed Am I a bad piji mom? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm just wondering, since they both seem to 'land wrong' ultimately injuring a leg, do you think they might have a calcuim deficiency which possibly is causing their legs to be a bit weak? Just a thought.

Please let us know how the vet visit goes.
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 am

That is a very likely thing. I will double check with the vet to see if injectible calcium would help at all. Is there anything else I can give them to help boost calcium? Other than their grit? Maybe grind up some cuttlebone, mixed with water?
Back to top Go down
TwinTails

TwinTails

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:34 am

Just called the vet, and they (vet and tech) are willing to come here tomorrow (their day off)! yay! Saves us 6 hours of driving Happy I've just been reading the foods that are rich in calcium, and will see if I can get them to eat some peas in the AM. I may even make a mash and see if they will eat that...not sure. I'm just worried that I'm not doing things right, I don't want them to suffer because I overlooked something Very sad
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:57 am

Quote :
I'm just wondering, since they both seem to 'land wrong' ultimately injuring a leg, do you think they might have a calcuim deficiency which possibly is causing their legs to be a bit weak?

Good point, Cindy.

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sore Foot? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore Foot?   Sore Foot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sore Foot?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon and Dove Pets-