Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

where are the old pigeons?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
vtpcnk

where are the old pigeons? Empty
PostSubject: where are the old pigeons?   where are the old pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 10:13 pm

i have been feeding some feral pigeons for the last three years or so.

some of them have disappeared over that period of time.

one of them is still here and from his greying feathers i can make out that he is old. due to his scissor beak and his difficulty in eating, i have consistenly fed him above all others.

but apart from this guy i cannot see one other single pigeon which is old with greying feathers.

one or two of the older ones which i fed with him (over the years) have disappeared. most of the others are younger. but even those which disappeared were not old as this guy is now.

so where are all the old pigeons? are they all dead? or do they go off somewhere when they hit a certain age?

appreciate the insights.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

where are the old pigeons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: where are the old pigeons?   where are the old pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:16 am

I'm sorry to hear that the older pigeons are gradually disappearing... there is a possibility that they may have moved to a new territory where there is more food (but considering that you feed them and have formed a bond with them, that's unlikely) or perhaps they were frightened away by building work, loss of nesting areas or hostile people shooing them away.
Unfortunately the life span of a feral pigeon, especially if they live in cities, can be very short, only 2 or 3 years -- compared with up to 20 years when they are safe and healthy.

I hope the ones you've been looking after will stay safe. Thank you so much for being an angel to them, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

If you are on Facebook, please join the Pigeon Angels page there, as I'm sure other members in your area will be able to give you good advice and support. This is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/groups/176239232007/
Back to top Go down

where are the old pigeons?
Page 1 of 1