Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:(

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pigy

pigy

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( Empty
PostSubject: Mourning dove without any tail feathers:(   Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello, I hope someone can help me here. One of the mourning doves who always come by our deck seems to lost all of his tail feathers. I am not sure whether it is male or female (I don't want to call them an "it" so I'll use "they") but I am including a picture that I took:

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( 100_7213

I gave them some bread and they ate it nicely but they walk as if there is something wrong with their feet. I wanted to take the little one in to see what happened but they flew to another balcony nearby. I am not sure if this would help but I also took a picture of the dropping:

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( 100_7214

If this bird is a female, could they be egg bound? There is also another mourning dove with this one who is trying to jump at them.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mourning dove without any tail feathers:(   Mourning dove without any tail feathers:( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 pm

The loss of the tail feathers in itself may not be a problem, it happens quite often when birds are in the middle of a hard molt, or occasionally due to a predator attack.
The droppings don't look good, though. That rice-water coloured liquid is characteristic of hexamitiasis, a protozoan infection similar to canker, but that usually needs a longer period of treatment to disappear. The treatment is the same as for canker (Flagyl or equivalent) but for at least 10 days.
The bird is puffed up and hunched, which does indicate abdominal pain, so I can see why you thought of egg binding. Is she still coming round?
Back to top Go down

Mourning dove without any tail feathers:(
Page 1 of 1