Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Pigeons are just too funny

Go down 
+2
AZWhitefeather
NiteOwl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

Pigeons are just too funny Empty
PostSubject: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:03 pm

Occasionally, I like to put straw, tobacco stems, pine needles, etc. out for my birds to add to their nest boxes, and as I recently cleaned them all out, and sprayed them, and tried to get them back in some kind of fashion that they had them before I disturbed them, I thought I'd fill the straw box and let them go at it.
Actually, in the future I'll have to be more discreet, as one of my more sensitive birds, Kane, couldn't be caught to put out in the aviary without chasing him all over, so I decided to just leave him in the loft. BIG MISTAKE! I cleaned them, then sprayed them for bugs, then went into the house to give them time to dry out before returning some straw to shape into a little nest, and replace their eggs. I forgot about Kane being in there, and didn't really think much about it. Later, I returned and fixed up their boxes. Then I let everyone back in from the aviary. Most went right to their nests, and started rearranging them, then went back to sitting on their wooden eggs. Nobody was very upset about the house cleaning. They usually aren't. A few of them, mildly upset, abandoned the eggs, and started on a new nest.
Kane, however, went ballistic. He growled and cooed loudly, and flew around the room in a frenzy. To his box, and back out again. When April, his mate tried to return to the box, he attacked her viciously, and kept throwing her back out. She looked so sad, but wouldn't give up, as she wasn't about to leave her eggs. He used to throw little fits like this when he was young, but not in well over a year. He has turned into a good citizen of the loft, and a calm faithful mate. I immediately recognized my mistake in letting him watch me clean the boxes. And worse, I went in the house and waited till they dried, leaving him out there. He must have watched me destroy his nest, steal his eggs, and when I left, he probably flew to his box, and was devastated that it was totally empty, and his mate and eggs were gone. The poor thing must have been frantic.
He was beside himself. I called Charis, in hysterics. I didn't know what to do to make it better. She told me what I had already figured out. He was mourning for the loss of the safety and security of his nest box. He has always been very sensitive. I had violated his security and his nest.
About an hour later, he finally accepted his mate back, and that night, as he always does, kept vigil on the perch just outside of his box, guarding April, who slept inside on their nest.
I was so relieved. But in the future, you can believe it, I will tread very carefully when it comes to nest cleaning.
Today, when I put out the straw and tobacco stems and pine needles, after most were scoffed up, Kane decided that he needed just a few more. I looked out into the loft, and there he was, pulling straw out of the plastic hamper that I recently started to store the straw in. It has holes in it's side, and he was pulling them out through the holes. God Lord! I hope he doesn't teach the others how to do that! The boxes will be packed, and the hamper will be empty. Pigeons are just too funny!

Pigeons are just too funny BackYard018
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:52 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

Today, when I put out the straw and tobacco stems and pine needles, after most were scoffed up, Kane decided that he needed just a few more.
I looked out into the loft, and there he was, pulling straw out of the plastic hamper that I recently started to store the straw in. It has holes in it's side, and he was pulling them out through the holes.

God Lord! I hope he doesn't teach the others how to do that! The boxes will be packed, and the hamper will be empty. Pigeons are just too funny!
Your photo is priceless. I love it/them
Well, ya know, pigeons do watch very intently what's going on around them. LOL
Please let us know if they all catch on and empty the hamper. That's too funny

Cindy

Last edited by Fancyfeathers on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Poor little thing, they are so much more sensitive than we think.

I once made the mistake of taking a padded cat basket that Domino and Sir Poops A Lot were nesting in (because it was wet) and replacing it with a wooden nesting box. Domino started making a loud distress call that I had never heard before, Poopsie dashed over and together they kept going into the nest box, then coming out again and studying it from the outside. I felt absolutely terrible.

Cynthia
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 3:19 pm

I'm really glad you shared this story. Pigeons are so smart, they are aware and just like humans can be deeply affected by change. I'm glad Kane is back top normal. I think that his IQ is higher than most. I think that's why he has been such a "problem" boy. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 3:48 pm

Let me clarify, I hope it wasn't construed that I was making light of the situation.
I was replying to what I had highlighted.

Change can indeed be very stressful on a pigeon. Disappointed
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Let me clarify, I hope it wasn't construed that I was making light of the situation.

Hmmm ...I didn't think you were making light of it. Wink
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Let me clarify, I hope it wasn't construed that I was making light of the situatio.

You don't have to clarify at all. I knew just what you meant. The title was directed at the part you highlighted. That's what the story was going to be about, but then, as I was writing it, I thought it would be good to share the whole story, just to make people aware. So the entire story changed. Later, I thought that I should have changed the title, because I was afraid that people would think that I was making light of it. I wasn't. when I titled it, I was referring to the little thief stealing the straw. I thought that was the funniest thing. Kane has always been a little different from the others. They're like people, each one with their own individual personality. I sure have learned a lot from them.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 pm

NiteOwl wrote:

Pigeons are just too funny BackYard018
Great photo! It looks like Kane is at the nest materials store and is trying to decide what to get. "Hmm should I take the usual or go with the extra long?? What would April like? Decisions, decisions..." Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 5:33 pm

LOL...It does look like that's what he is contemplating. Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 10:22 am

Well - each day I observe something new that amazes me about pigeons. I have a thousand stories to tell. It is simply unbelievable. Your story is only true - but if you tell someone who does not know anything about pigeons s/he won't believe you.... YESS!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, just like kids, bad habits are quickly learned from others. If you all remember, Kane was stealing straw out of the hamper that I keep it in, in the loft. I was concerned about him teaching others to do this. Well, this morning I filled that wooden box with straw and tobacco stems. Everyone else was happily gathering them to add to their nests. But Luigi, decided that it would be more fun to steal it from the hamper, as he undoubtedly has seen Kane doing. You gotta love 'em.

Pigeons are just too funny SaturdayintheLoft103

Soon, I won't have to put it out at all. They can all just go straight to the hamper for their nesting supplies. :For Shame:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 2:28 pm

This getaway photo is great. Star quality
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 3:16 pm

You see - they even spare you work and time ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

And I fully I agree the photo is soooo Really cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigeons are just too funny   Pigeons are just too funny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pigeons are just too funny
Page 1 of 1