Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?

Go down 
+9
AZJourney
Dolly
Teresa
pigeonwriter
Jenaka
NiteOwl
AZWhitefeather
Capuccino
Matilda
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Empty
PostSubject: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am

This is what I give my Pigeons at least 3 times a weeks...often more. They mob me when they see me walk through the door with these treats. It's gone within seconds.

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 100_1431
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

I should think they would indeed - not only goodies but superb presentation too That's too funny

Ours do love their peanuts, and that's one time when we see one heck of a lot of birds gathered in the flight pen, when normally one could not guess at the number lurking in hidden places. A good, fresh crispy leaf lettuce is a definite fave snack. The woodpigeons (and Poppet the dove) were the first to show a real liking for it - those who had it held up at their perches to nibble at (waiter service) - but almost a whole good sized lettuce is readily demolished by the other pigeons too. Hemp seeds and special tiny 'treat mix' seeds are popular. Chopped greens like spinach, rocket and water cress were first given to the woodpigeons we took on from Maria (March and Irakles), but then we found that when they are in the mood for it, the main aviary mob will also eat them up. Crumbled calcium/mineral block draws out hens who seem to be able to sniff it from the furthest recesses of the aviary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Capuccino wrote:
I should think they would indeed - not only goodies but superb presentation too That's too funny
Ours do love their peanuts, and that's one time when we see one heck of a lot of birds gathered in the flight pen, when normally one could not guess at the number lurking in hidden places. A good, fresh crispy leaf lettuce is a definite fave snack. The woodpigeons (and Poppet the dove) were the first to show a real liking for it - those who had it held up at their perches to nibble at (waiter service) - but almost a whole good sized lettuce is readily demolished by the other pigeons too. Hemp seeds and special tiny 'treat mix' seeds are popular. Chopped greens like spinach, rocket and water cress were first given to the woodpigeons we took on from Maria (March and Irakles), but then we found that when they are in the mood for it, the main aviary mob will also eat them up. Crumbled calcium/mineral block draws out hens who seem to be able to sniff it from the furthest recesses of the aviary.

Thank you...it is all about presentation either by sight or action. cheers
My little flock likes spinach and water cress too. I never have been able to interest them in peanuts....go figure. :Rolling eyes:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Sorry I have nothing to contribute as mine turn their beaks up at all the good stuff. Disappointed :For Shame:
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Matilda wrote:

Thank you...it is all about presentation either by sight or action. cheers
My little flock likes spinach and water cress too. I never have been able to interest them in peanuts....go figure. :Rolling eyes:

Charis, you have to chop them up. I know most don't, but I do. I have tamed even the most aloof with chopped peanuts. Well, almost. I hold them up to them in a little red cover. After a while, they will take them from my hand. The ones that won't come to my hand, I put them in a little dish in their box. Once they find out how good they are, they'll come. LOL.
Mine get chopped greens, carrots, thawed peas or corn, and bean sprouts. Each one likes something different. I never thought of putting them all together like that. I will now. Your birds live in a 5 star hotel. That looks absolutely delicious. Pass the Italian dressing!
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:
Sorry I have nothing to contribute as mine turn their beaks up at all the good stuff. Disappointed :For Shame:

The most important thing is that pigeons enjoy what they get, so if they like what you give them as 'standard', I guess they are just not picky like some pigeons :)

Kinda like people, too. I'm a 'plain but tasty' type. Put a gourmet dinner in front of me and I'll eat it .. but on Saturday we rustled up a good, wholesome fish dish between us - Cynthia cooked the fish just right, I did the mashed potato (OK, in the microwave, but I did add the garlic butter :) ) and we used the green veg that came to hand. Loads better than a similar meal we've had at a good restaurant in town. (Sorry, drifted off there)
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Yum...I'll fly right over for next weekend. Happy Dance I'll even butter the potaotes. Right on
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Matilda wrote:
Yum...I'll fly right over for next weekend. Happy Dance I'll even butter the potaotes. Right on
What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 193770 Wait for me!! I'll bring desert.

The fish and veggies sounds wonderful, John.
I'll have to pass on the taters though. Disappointed

Cindy
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Matilda wrote:

Bring what you give the pigeons, too - looks good enough to be our side dish What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 116281

Now, I wanted to know about Niteowl's bean sprouts, but my post evaporated, wafted away by a Pigeon angel

NiteOwl :

Quote :
Mine get chopped greens, carrots, thawed peas or corn, and bean sprouts.

Bean sprouts to me are kinda white thingies found in Chinese takeout meals - so what are your bean sprouts? Something different?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:48 pm

We have the same kind of bean sprouts. Right on
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Capuccino wrote:
Matilda wrote:

Bring what you give the pigeons, too - looks good enough to be our side dish What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 116281

Now, I wanted to know about Niteowl's bean sprouts, but my post evaporated, wafted away by a Pigeon angel

NiteOwl :

Quote :
Mine get chopped greens, carrots, thawed peas or corn, and bean sprouts.

Bean sprouts to me are kinda white thingies found in Chinese takeout meals - so what are your bean sprouts? Something different?

In many markets, you can buy them in bags. Fresh bean sprouts. They love them, or at least mine do. They're the same thing that come in your Chinese food. Happy I chop them up a little.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:58 am

Peanuts, shelled sunflower seed, hemp seed are all favorites. Also various greens (they like red leaf lettuce the best) and thawed frozen peas. No interest at all in fresh organic peas, grated carrot, or corn cut off the cob. And they turned up their beaks at my homemade corn muffins. :Rolling eyes:
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Geez - when I read all your answers I am relieved that I am apparently not the only crazy person regarding treatments...

Can you top this:
our sweet youngsters are sleeping in a rocking cradle and get a fresh bed of hey each day:

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 0805x0003window

our pijis have their own swimming pool in the 13th floor (with warm water in winter):

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 0808aug0039drops1

and rocking devices for visitors:

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 0523pigeons0037erwin

Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 4:30 pm

LOVE IT! Happy

YOU ARE ARE A CRAZY PIGEON PERSON! ROTFL

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 6:17 pm

GREAT pictures. Way To Go
Love the bathing one. :That\\\'s so f
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 am

Those are great pictures. I love the babies in the hanging pot. Just adorable.
Charis, I made a salad like you do, putting all, o r most of their treats in it. At first I think they were weary of the tray, as it is rather large, and bright blue. But once they got over that, they loved the salad. Thanks for the idea. Much better than putting something different out a couple times a week. Everyone gets something they like.

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 001-2

I did have a problem with Mica guarding it though, as he likes to try to throw his weight around and guard anything that looks new or interesting. So I locked him up, and then the others enjoyed it. He got the leftovers when I let him out. Here he is guarding the table.
What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 007-4
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:38 am

...It looks like I fixed that breakfast salad...great job! cheers

Once they get used to the blue tay, they won't give any individual bird the opportunity to guard it because they will mob it. Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 am

Great looking salad. What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 142829
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:32 am

Brilliant thread and great photos! The salads look yummy, and Pigeonwriter's Pigeon Spa Resort is a winner! Love the bathing picture, it's captured so much movement! Star quality

Piper likes finely chopped peanuts and organic shelled sunflower seeds. But she has always refused all the greens I offered her (except thawed peas, IF I split them). She actually dragged away a little bit of lettuce before, but dashed my hopes by adding it to her nest! :That\\\'s so f

There's something she's crazy about, though: small pieces of corn bread or cake rolled up into tiny balls. I know it's naughty Embarassed but if she sees me eating one of those, she will throw a tantrum until she gets some! Oh brother
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 9:36 am

Teresa wrote:

Piper likes finely chopped peanuts and organic shelled sunflower seeds. But she has always refused all the greens I offered her

Must be my presentation skills that are at fault! That's too funny
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 10:28 am

Teresa wrote:
Teresa wrote:

Piper likes finely chopped peanuts and organic shelled sunflower seeds. But she has always refused all the greens I offered her

Must be my presentation skills that are at fault! That's too funny

Some of my birds that love the greens, like them chopped small. Doing it this new way kind of threw them off, as they weren't used to pulling it apart. I think I'm
going to put both chopped and unchopped in next time. Try chopping it up into tiny bite size pieces, and I bet they'll like it.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 11:37 am

Teresa wrote:
Brilliant thread and great photos! The salads look yummy, and Pigeonwriter's Pigeon Spa Resort is a winner! Love the bathing picture, it's captured so much movement! Star quality

Piper likes finely chopped peanuts and organic shelled sunflower seeds. But she has always refused all the greens I offered her (except thawed peas, IF I split them). She actually dragged away a little bit of lettuce before, but dashed my hopes by adding it to her nest! :That\\\'s so f

There's something she's crazy about, though: small pieces of corn bread or cake rolled up into tiny balls. I know it's naughty Embarassed but if she sees me eating one of those, she will throw a tantrum until she gets some! Oh brother
ROTFL
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:30 pm

That's funny about throwing a tantrum. That's too funny
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Thanks Jen   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 12:08 am

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 am

Great video. What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? 142829
They sure are going for those greens. YESS!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?   What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Treats Do You Give Your Pigeons?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next