Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Very sick, maybe dying

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Very sick, maybe dying Empty
PostSubject: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:32 am

Adult pigeon, no poops, no urates, just foul-smelling light-brown cloudy water in a pool under him.
No signs of canker or of any injury. Very light, thin and dehydrated.

After checking he wasn't cold, gave him tepid rehydrating fluid with multivitamins, suspecting PMV. An hour later (now) found him lying in a pool of liquid, with rapid and shallow breathing, unable to stand.

Suspect organ failure. Is it too late?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 am

He's gone! Very sad Poor little thing, rest in peace, little one.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 am

Teresa,
Although he didn't appear to be cold, his body temperature is probably at a crisis level.
Try placing him on a towel lined heating pad set on low.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:47 am

I am so sorry. Very sad
Thank you for providing a safe haven for him.

"May you now fly free over the Rainbow Bridge sweet little one"
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 am

Thank you, Cindy, it's so sad when there's no more you can do.
I hadn't put him on a heating pad because he didn't feel cold and the temperature indoors today is almost 100ºF, but next time I'll do it anyway.
As he was a feral from the park I must now be on the lookout for any others showing symptoms of disease, but I don't know what to look out for except for his extreme emaciation. Do the symptoms he showed suggest anything to you?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:11 am

Oh Teresa, I'm so sorry.
I honnestly suspect that it was too late by the time you found him, although miracles do happen and it's important to try.
I can't say for sure, but it sounds like he did have had a very bad case of internal canker.. ...but to be that down, probably worms and coccidia too or something else. Canker symptoms are numerous. We have come to think of canker as the yellow spots in the throat and mouth but often when a bird has canker and you don't see that at all. I'll post an article so you can read it.
The conditions I see the most, in combination, are canker, worms, coccidia and salmonila.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

The information on canker is in this articel by Colin Walker.

Here's the link...

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/products/veterinary_medicines2.html
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 am

Thank you, Charis, I'll add the link to my favourites, and hope to be able to help others in future.
I took a deep breath and forced myself to examine him again post-mortem, and I there appeared to be a hard lump in his crop, though there was nothing in his mouth and throat. The vent was still clear, so I suspect the fluid was regorgitated.
He was so poorly when I found him that I was too scared to medicate for canker and salmonella (the usual culprits here) in case it was a virus or a fungus and I did more harm than good. I was also worried when a neighbour told me someone was feeding them so much corn in the park this morning that they left lots of it -- I'm petrified someone tries to poison them.
Then I went straight back to the park to see if there were any more sick-looking pigeons, but thankfully they all looked alert.
Now to wash the quarentine cage and towels... :(
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: This from Chevita   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

Young Bird Sickness

Young bird sickness has spread rapidly around the world in recent years, causing severe losses among young birds.

Pathogen:
This is a mixed infection, involving viruses and bacteria (especially E.coli and cocci, but also protozoa).
The pathogens are transmitted by air, dust and contact between birds, as well as via communal drinking water and feed.
Outbreaks of the disease are promoted by stress factors such as weaning, the introduction of strange birds into a loft, vaccination, heat (accelerated bacterial growth, water shortage), training of juveniles (basketing) and young pigeon flights.

Symptoms of the disease:
The disease can take two forms:

Sudden death not preceded by any perceptible signs of illness:
A typical scenario sees young pigeons released from the loft for their daily training (on a hot summer's day, perhaps), whereupon they fly around for an hour and then return to the loft. They land on the roof or on the alighting ledge, do not respond to the breeder's attempts to entice them into the loft, and die within the space of a few hours.

Death preceded by visible signs of illness:
During the period between the onset of symptoms and death (lasting from 3 days to 1 week), the following symptoms are observed: lack of activity, puffed-up plumage, refusal of feed, swelling of the crop, weight loss, greenish-yellow faeces in puddles, vomiting.

Recognition of the disease:
Owing to the numerous pathogens involved in this disease, it is only possible to make a tentative diagnosis.

Similar conditions:
E.coli infection, Hexamitiasis.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

Teresa wrote:

I took a deep breath and forced myself to examine him again post-mortem, and I there appeared to be a hard lump in his crop, though there was nothing in his mouth and throat.
:(
I would suspect canker. Such an ugly illness. Very sad
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: To end on a more cheerful note   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am

Thank you both for your advice, I will keep a close eye on the rest.

How do pigeons know when you need cheering up? Because they do. 'My' feral flock have started crowding near the window earlier than usual, showing off their good form! My glossy, well-fed, well-loved babies!
Then, the best surprise: the patient I've been medicating with soggy bread soaked in metronidazole came up close to show how much better she is. This photo was taken 5 minutes ago:

Very sick, maybe dying DSCNB2043-cc

God bless them! pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

What a pretty bird. She looks like my Romey, who I call Noodle. [long story, sort of]
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 10:33 am

The other thing important to keep in mind, Teresa, is that birds don't suddenly get sick and die unless they are poisioned. Birds pretend they are well until they can't pretend any longer. I have read, that each day a bird is ill is the same as one week for a human. So...when you capture a very ill Pigeon, it has been suffereing a long time. Sometimes we intervene soon enough and some times it's just too late.
It always makes me crazy when someone has a sick bird and say...I think I'll just watch it for a couple of days to see it it gets better. Sadly, they are waisting valuable time and p.utting the bird at risk of dying
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very sick, maybe dying   Very sick, maybe dying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Very sick, maybe dying
Page 1 of 1