Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

20 Eggs within one Year???

Go down 
+4
Capuccino
NiteOwl
Matilda
pigeonwriter
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

20 Eggs within one Year??? Empty
PostSubject: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Guys,
I have a question I already wanted to ask a while ago: is it normal that a pigeon lays 20 eggs within one year? Hmmm

I am a bit worried about our Emma, having read that laying eggs is total stress for the body and depriving of important minerals, especially calcium. I regularly replace her eggs by plaster eggs - which are originally her own but filled with plaster Holy Sheep!!

She is getting good food which is a specific mixture for pigeons (includes corn, 2 different peas, black shelled sunflower seeds, milo, dari, wheat, cardy, vetch). I also offer parrot grit that includes oyster shells and minerals which is probably not necessary for free flying ferals but I am offering it anyway.

So what can I do? Probably nothing? But would be nice to know... I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 am

Petra...I think you are doing all you can. I suspect that finding calcium and getting enough vitamins may be more of a concern regarding ferals than you think and so by supplying those things to your little flock, you are doing a good thing.
My feral rescues have them same. We can only hope that the hens run out of eggs soon. Wink
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am

Thank you Charis,
I think this year it will be even worse. This little Emma is a real egg laying machine nutter
I truly hope she will cope with this...
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Ya know, I never thought of supplying the ferral flock that comes daily, with oyster shell. I give them food and water, and sometimes egg shells that I save and break up in very small pieces, but I never thought about buying extra oyster shell for them. DUH!!! But I will now, leave that out for them also. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Capuccino

Capuccino

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 1:55 pm

I've put various kinds of pigeon grit, and calcium block, out for the balcony pigeons and they steadfastly ignore it. Even when I had Capuccino inside, as far as I could tell he wasn't interested. Guess they just do not recognize it.

John
Back to top Go down
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pidgie/index.htm
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 2:17 pm

I always throw out the uneaten seeds into the garden that my residents don't eat after a couple of days.
Although I only get Woodies coming to eat as they've become used to the regular supply, it's noticable that the grit is always left on the ground after the seeds have been eaten.

They don't seem to take any of this in.

Janet
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:38 pm

I’m so glad that mine are not the only egg factories in the forum.
My concerns were the same. Then I did a bit of research and found that this is normal. If bird is healthy and well looked after it can go to 50 eggs per year without problem. I do give them legumes and other sources of proteins to keep hens fit. Replacing eggs with plastic ones and from time to time lighter – barley and cereal diet slows them down, but not much. Senegal doves are absolutely the same.
Only diseases and stress will stop them from laying, but this is something that you don’t want.
Back to top Go down
Jenaka
Special Pigeon Angel
Jenaka

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Would it be possible to add a powdered calcium/mineral supplement to the feed? You can oil the seeds first to get it to stick.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PigeonFriend
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:28 am

Glad to hear that there is no need for worries.
Btw - mine eat gladly from the parrot sand and grit (although they all are flying free). I assume that it is simply safer for them to eat here on my balcony - and easier of course - than outside where they have to watch the sky all the time. Or they simply love the mixture - who knows Hmmm

Btw - they apparently love to "play" in the sandbox - I have seen some of them throwing the sand and grit vigorously around as if they were paid for doing this - looks very funny when real dust clouds are rising from the bowl. I hope I can catch one of them on video ony day.... That's too funny
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:55 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Glad to hear that there is no need for worries.
Btw - mine eat gladly from the parrot sand and grit (although they all are flying free). I assume that it is simply safer for them to eat here on my balcony - and easier of course - than outside where they have to watch the sky all the time. Or they simply love the mixture - who knows 20 Eggs within one Year??? 641122

Btw - they apparently love to "play" in the sandbox - I have seen some of them throwing the sand and grit vigorously around as if they were paid for doing this - looks very funny when real dust clouds are rising from the bowl.

I hope I can catch one of them on video ony day.... 20 Eggs within one Year??? 982130

That reminds me of the little finchy type birds in our backyard.
They love to wallow wherever there is dirt, sending these little puffs of dust in the air. 20 Eggs within one Year??? 164371

I hope you can too, Petra. That would make a wonderful video. 20 Eggs within one Year??? 226817
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20 Eggs within one Year???   20 Eggs within one Year??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

20 Eggs within one Year???
Page 1 of 1