Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Oh no, another one!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Oh no, another one! Empty
PostSubject: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am

Just brought jome another patient from the park, where he was hiding in a lump of grass. My clever dog found him. He limped away from me while he could, but made no attempt to fly. Caught in broad daylight, not a good sign! :(
He's an adult, normal weight and size, limping noticeably. On the way home a few drops of liquid identical to that of the pigeon who died fell on my arm. Must have come from the beak. Liquid is cloudy, light brown to yellow, sour smelling.
The face and eyes are fine,and the bird is alert and responsive but VERY subdued. Not fluffed up. There was food in the crop, not sure if there was a lump or not because of that.

Injured right thigh. Could be a tibiotarsus fracture, either way it's swollen at the top, where there are LOTS of broken feathers.

He's warming up right now. :Need some help
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 am

Teresa wrote:
Just brought jome another patient from the park, where he was hiding in a lump of grass. My clever dog found him. He limped away from me while he could, but made no attempt to fly. Caught in broad daylight, not a good sign! :(
He's an adult, normal weight and size, limping noticeably.

* On the way home a few drops of liquid identical to that of the pigeon who died fell on my arm. Must have come from the beak. Liquid is cloudy, light brown to yellow, sour smelling.

The face and eyes are fine,and the bird is alert and responsive but VERY subdued. Not fluffed up. There was food in the crop, not sure if there was a lump or not because of that.

Injured right thigh. Could be a tibiotarsus fracture, either way it's swollen at the top, where there are LOTS of broken feathers.

He's warming up right now. :Need some help
Given that description, I would suspect canker accompanied with sour crop.
Does it feel or look like there is any liquid in the crop?
Have you checked the inside of his mouth?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am

I haven't looked inside his mouth yet, but I will do so in a minute.
Sour crop is fungus-related, isn't it? I was thinking of quickly popping up to chemist's and getting some Nystatin, if they have it, in case I need it.
I was going to give him Baytril + Flagyl. Does that sound right?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Sounds right. Start with flagyl and nystatin. ...follow with baytrill 12 hours later.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Examination   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm

OMG, he's covered in BITES!
There's nothing broken, but there's plenty of bruising, and he's very sore!

He didn't want to be examined at all, and wouldn't allow me to investigate the source of the blood on his wing, so I gave him a drop of Metacam and resumed 15 minutes later. There are lots of broken and cut feathers, and places where the top layer of skin is missing on the right hand side of the body. Same for the back of his neck. Once you start parting the feathers you can see the damage. He's covered in bruises. The wings are okay, the blood on the right wing came from a puncture wound on the side of his body near his right leg, but the wound is very shallow. His leg isn't broken, he can use it but it obviously hurts to stand on it. His back and tail feathers are very mucky, like he was dragged over poop. His feet were very warm to the touch.
I disinfected the wound and bare patches, put on some bacytracin/neomycin cream on them, and gave him a dose of Clavamox straight away.

He hasn't been vomitting at all, but produced two alarming poops of yellow mucus. I've never seen anything like this. There are no growths in his mouth or throat, nothing that I could feel on the crop, but the inside of his mouth is a bit sticky with mucus.

He's very alert and bright-eyed, studying his surroundings attentively when I took him in the kitchen to dissolve the med, and turning his head round to give me a filthy look after he'd taken it! However, he became more forgiving when he saw Piper, and took to watching HER instead...
I gave him some tepid hydrating fluid. He didn't seeminterested in food just yet, so I let him rest in his warm nest for a couple of hours.

Just now I heard some strange sounds, checked on him, and he's producing spit bubbles from his beak, and swaying! I think I'll go and pick him up.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm

His breathing is very fast.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh no, another one! DSCNB2063-cr

I've been walking around the room with him, telling him he CAN'T die! The bubbling has stopped, but his breathing is rapid and shallow, often with half-opened beak. He appears to breathe better by the window, in the breeze, so I put him there in the carrier, but with the hot water bottle under him.

Should I give him any other med? It doesn't sound like a good idea somehow. But I did get the Nystatin.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Did you give him the flagyl?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:14 pm

No, just the Clavamox for the bite injuries. Should I give it to him now?
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Teresa,
From my experience, the sticky/mucous mouth is an indication of advanced canker. In this case internal, as you didn't notice any noduals in his mouth.

It sounds like he may have become grounded due to lack of nourishment (unable to eat properly) because of the 'possible' canker and something caught him, causing all the body trauma.

Bless you both. What a sweet baby he is.
I will be thinking positive thoughts that he begins to show sign of recovery SOON.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Teresa wrote:
No, just the Clavamox for the bite injuries. Should I give it to him now?

yes...please.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Done.
I was worried about giving him any more med while he was having so much trouble breathing. Thank you for your advice.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Try to get some rest. It's late where you are.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Matilda wrote:
Try to get some rest. It's late where you are.

Smile I've still got lots to do... Haven't had a minute to myself today between work and my charges. My kitchen looks like a bomb's hit it, the pigeon towels need washing before one of the cats tries to eat them, and the dog needs another walk... Wouldn't it be nice if we could grow extra arms and legs? Not pretty, but nice! Oh no, another one! 193770
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Wish I were there to give you a hand. Oh no, another one! 193770
Yes in deed, there are times when extra arms and legs would be a godsend. Hip Hip Hooray
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:44 pm

He's just died. This is SO, SO HEARTBREAKING!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could.
XOXO
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Can't sleep. Three losses in four days. The first I found already dead, the others you know about.

There's got to be something that can be learned from this: Yellow, paint-like urates, no poop component + near-empty crop + well-fed, healthy-looking bird + alert.

Liver failure -- if so, caused by canker? Aspergillosis? Poisoning?

Adenovirus+E-coli?

Peritonitis caused by bite wound?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Yellow, paint like urates indicate liver involvement.
...you said well fed...so the bird was not thin?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Was it a young bird?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:09 pm

The more I think about it, it sounds like the bird had young bird sickness which is a combination of things, most often canker, coccidia and worms. From the picture, the bird looks young to me.
I really hope the rest of the flock stays healthy.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 pm

I am so very sorry, Teresa. Very sad
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Teresa wrote:
Can't sleep. Three losses in four days. The first I found already dead, the others you know about.

There's got to be something that can be learned from this: Yellow, paint-like urates, no poop component + near-empty crop + well-fed, healthy-looking bird + alert.

Liver failure -- if so, caused by canker? Aspergillosis? Poisoning?

Adenovirus+E-coli?

Peritonitis caused by bite wound?
There is such a combination of factors. Without a necropsy, sadly its pretty much guess work.

I honestly think you can r/o poison, in this case anyway.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Thank you, Charis and Cindy.
I'm not sure about his age, I thought older than 4 months and younger than 2 years. He weighed 300g when he died, that's as much as Piper, and she's pampered.
Thankfully I haven't found any more sick birds since.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 pm

300g is a pretty good weight.
As sick as he was, I would have thought he would have been lighter.
I'm wondering if some of that weight was excess fluid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh no, another one!   Oh no, another one! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oh no, another one!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Rescued pigeon, suspect Illness-
Jump to: