Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Velvet a week ago: This was the day after her rescue, and she was dry but still ruffled. When I first saw her, I thought she was black, but she's a dark red-bronze (no idea what the right designation is!), like Sammy.

No rest for the wicked - Page 11 DSCNB3525-r550-Velvet

Velvet this morning, and the improved look of the overnight poops (their colour is darker than that -- blame the flash -- I mean, the dish is brown!).

No rest for the wicked - Page 11 DSCNB3567-r550-Velvet-1

Last edited by Teresa on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:37 pm

What a difference a week makes...I love her coloring. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 458406
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Love the pictures, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 334215
Sammy 'burrito' is adorable and looks so comfy. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_wink Bless his heart.
Velvet is looking good. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829 She's a beauty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 4:24 am

Both Velvet and Sammy are so pretty to look at I love it/them and Sammy sure looks all comfy wrapped up Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Sammy had a bad day today. Not feeling well During a class he started thrashing around so much that I picked him up and carried on working. I could feel slight but very rapid tremors going through him, and his neck was very tense. The top right handside of his head is definitely more bumpy than the left -- I presume pigeons' skulls should be symmetrical, is that the case? I'm wondering whether that is swelling caused either by viral infection or trauma, and whether it might respond to Arnica. Question
I've added a little garlic to his water and honey. Garlic supposedly has antiviral properties, so I thought it worth a shot.
I remember reading a post by Cindy about Prednisone being used to help with convulsions, so I asked my local chemist's. They have it in pills (5mg and 20mg) and injectable (50mg). The chemist said sometimes injectable meds can be given orally. He said 'Put the question to your friends and see what they recommend.' Question

Velvet is continuing to improve. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Teresa wrote:
Sammy had a bad day today. Not feeling well During a class he started thrashing around so much that I picked him up and carried on working. I could feel slight but very rapid tremors going through him, and his neck was very tense. The top right handside of his head is definitely more bumpy than the left --

* I presume pigeons' skulls should be symmetrical, is that the case?

I'm wondering whether that is swelling caused either by viral infection or trauma, and whether it might respond to Arnica. Question
I've added a little garlic to his water and honey. Garlic supposedly has antiviral properties, so I thought it worth a shot.

** I remember reading a post by Cindy about Prednisone being used to help with convulsions, so I asked my local chemist's. They have it in pills (5mg and 20mg) and injectable (50mg). The chemist said sometimes injectable meds can be given orally. He said 'Put the question to your friends and see what they recommend.' Question

Velvet is continuing to improve. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829

Hi Teresa,
* Yes, a pigeon's head should be symmetrical.

** The vet prescribed Prednisone in the 5 mg tablets for Pij.
The directions were:
- Dissolve 1 tablet in 2.5 mls of water (the vet gave me the syringe to use)
Once the tablet was dissolved, I refilled the syringe and just put it in the refrigerator.
- Give two drops orally once a day.
With Prednisone it has to be decreased gradually. I don't recall exactly how we decreased Pij's dose as the vet told by verbally and it was several years ago.

You might run this option by your vet. If you concur this would be worth a try then your vet would figure out the best decreased dosage.

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm not sure about Prednisone as it is used as Immunesuppressant. It will lower his resistance which is just opposite what he needs now.
Against convulssions you can use Belladona pills and do not expose him to bright light.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 11:39 pm

Many thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Sammy is stable, still needing a lot of attention though. I mentioned him to the avian vet earlier on today but didn't get much joy. I don't think they rate his chances much, but with your help I will fight for him all the way.
I'm still taking every precaution to avoid contamination, but it's now over 7 weeks since I found him, so surely he can't be shedding the virus any more?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 12:01 am

Guess 7 weeks are enough time too. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 106767
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Sammy -- mixed news:

Yesterday evening Sammy started having less convulsions. Before and after feeding, he held his head upright several times and even nibbled at my hands. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829
What's not so good is that, as soon as he'd eaten, he produced a jet of diarrhoea (mostly water mixed with urates, and green strings of fecal matter).
The situation is the same today. He's been up and alert, even trying to peck at his seed bowl, but the poops are scary! The two things changed at the same time, so they must be related.
I have NO idea

Scarlet -- wing injury:
Meet Scarlet, today's rescue.

No rest for the wicked - Page 11 DSCNB3622-r550

Her wing was bleeding when I found her, and she could move it and hold it upright, but she couldn't fly. I guess she'd just got injured. There is a puncture wound, but it doesn't look deep.
I gave her a drop of Metacam, cleaned the injury and staunched the bleeding with hydrogen peroxide (that's why her wing is wet in the photo), warmed her up and started her on Amoxicilin.
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 5:21 pm

What a pretty bird Scarlet is. I hope she wasn't suffering for too long out there. Wishing her a good recovery. I love it/them

An ongoing rollercoaster ride with Sammy aswell, I hope things are going in the right direction. More healing thoughts coming his way. Circle of Love

Janet
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Thank heaven those Pigeons have you as their care taker and advocate.

Poor little Sammy.

I hope Scarlet finds flight soon and can rejoin her flock.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Thank you both for your good wishes! Thanks

I'm glad I found Scarlet when I did. It had started to rain while I was trying to catch her, and she led me a merry old dance in the pouring rain...
Having a bad day Cute Dove No rest for the wicked - Page 11 193770 Having a bad day No rest for the wicked - Page 11 514260
... but since then it got really cold, about 50 (Ok, I'm a wimp!) and it's been hailing most of the night! :eek:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:02 am

Teresa wrote:
Thank you both for your good wishes! Thanks

I'm glad I found Scarlet when I did. It had started to rain while I was trying to catch her, and she led me a merry old dance in the pouring rain...
Having a bad day Cute Dove No rest for the wicked - Page 11 193770 Having a bad day No rest for the wicked - Page 11 514260
... but since then it got really cold, about 50 (Ok, I'm a wimp!) and it's been hailing most of the night! :eek:

I hope Sammy is doing better, Teresa.

Scarlet is a beauty. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 334215
I'm glad you spotted her.
Sending special thoughts that she recovers quickly. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_flower
Please keep us posted.

Speaking of rain, did you happen to see the most recent photo I posted in the 'Show us your best shot' thread? I got so excited that we had some 'rain' clouds that I had to take picture of them and of course post it. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 164371
I was telling Chuck, those guys are going to think I've either lost my mind or been in the desert to long, getting so excited over some clouds. I'll vote for the latter. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 573503I really miss the rain and storms.
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 12:57 pm

Teresa wrote:
Sammy -- mixed news:

Yesterday evening Sammy started having less convulsions. Before and after feeding, he held his head upright several times and even nibbled at my hands. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829
What's not so good is that, as soon as he'd eaten, he produced a jet of diarrhoea (mostly water mixed with urates, and green strings of fecal matter).
The situation is the same today. He's been up and alert, even trying to peck at his seed bowl, but the poops are scary! The two things changed at the same time, so they must be related.
I have NO idea

Teresa, that's what I have noticed with Pina and Willy as well. But it is getting better! I hope very much for Sammy too. I stopped giving them something to drink right after their meal. So I expect that this is improving.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:

Speaking of rain, did you happen to see the most recent photo I posted in the 'Show us your best shot' thread? I got so excited that we had some 'rain' clouds that I had to take picture of them and of course post it. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 164371
I was telling Chuck, those guys are going to think I've either lost my mind or been in the desert to long, getting so excited over some clouds. I'll vote for the latter. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 573503I really miss the rain and storms.

I loved that photo! Anybody in their right minds would get excited at such a majestic sky! I love it/them
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Sammy is definitely beter. Hecan stand up for longer periods of time now, rather than just sleep between meals, but he still stargazes a lot, especially when anyone approaches his cage. He has preened a bit, stretched his wings and pecked a few seeds the last two days, but in so far as I've been able to see, he still can't drink by himself. I think perhaps I was giving him too much water, and that's why the poops were too watery.
The worst time for seizures are when I take him out of the cage and when I put him back in. He falls over to the left, kicking his legs like mad and twisting his neck. Sometimes he ends up on his back and trying to twist his neck a full 360º, it's really alarming to watch. I either have to wrap him up or to hold him until the fits subside, and then slide my hands away very gradually.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2009 11:42 pm

Velvet is better, more alert and feisty. She's eating well, but she still drinks a lot and her poop is very watery -- I don't know if it's because of that or not. She has a tendency to tilt her head to the right. Sammy used to do that (but to the left) the first two weeks I had him. So if it is PMV, or whichever virus Sammy's got, we're still at the beginning. I have NO idea

Scarlet is off her food and acts really scared. Being indoors seems to be freaking her out, or else there's a mate waiting out there. I've been hand feeding her thawed peas and corn, but she hates that. And the meds even more. I've started putting her half tablets inside a grain of thawed corn so it slides down more easily and she doesn't have to taste it.
The wound on the wing is scabbing nicely, but the area immediately above it is still a bit swollen. I hope the antibiotic will sort that out.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 12:08 am

Appreciate the update on Velvet and Scarlet, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 458406
I hope they both do OK. Will be thinking 'good thoughts'. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm

Thank you, Cindy!

My patients have been doing well today.
Sammy must have tried to drink by himself, because he managed to tip the water container!
Velvet is getting used to my face and eyes me with curiosity and no fear at all. She's very alert and I can see no tremors or involuntary movements of the head.
Scarlet must have come to the conclusion that there are worse things in life than being force-fed peas and corn, because she's calmed down a little. The swelling is definitely going down. I hope she doesn't have babies out there, but all I can do is keep a sharp look-out when I take my dog out.
Hercules should be home on Saturday.
No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829 No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829 No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829 No rest for the wicked - Page 11 142829
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Im wondering if something like this would work for Sammy??? A sling to keep him in position???

Also sending loving snuggles for Velvet, Scarlet and Hercules!!!

(((BTW--- This is Lizz's picture of her Pigeon Trooper))))
No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Troope10
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Terrific idea, Jenn!

Thank you so much for finding this photo! Thanks
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Trooper actually looks pretty darn comfy. No rest for the wicked - Page 11 458406
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Teresa wrote:
Terrific idea, Jenn!

Thank you so much for finding this photo! Thanks

I can't take the credit for the idea... That's ALL Lizz's doing!!! Way To Go

But, I was reading the post and remembered the picture...so I ran No rest for the wicked - Page 11 193770 off to search it out!

If you like I can direct her here... if you have any questions.. on how and what she used....just let me know! I hope it helps poor Sammy!
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Teresa.................You are just amazing. I know how stressful it is to deal with just one sick or injured pij............here you are handling four simultaneously.......Sammy, Velvet, Scarlet and Hercules. You are doing such a great job............everbody is healing and getting better.

You are truly a Pigeon angel

Glad to hear Hercules will be back at home on Saturday.

Keep the updates coming........I am just amazed with all your little patients and how they are doing.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 11 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 36  Next