Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

I think Penny cracked her beak

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

I think Penny cracked her beak Empty
PostSubject: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:22 am

I totally messed up! Let Penny out for flight practice, forgetting to 'introduce' her to the window (she'd only ever been out of her cage at dusk) and she flew into the windowpane at full speed. :eek: I think she cracked her beak, poor thing.
She was a bit subdued after that, but I can't see any other changes of behaviour.
  • Are the symptoms for concussion in birds the same as in humans? If not, what should I look out for?

• Will the beak heal by itself? She's got grit and oyster shell. Should I also give her a calcium supplement?

I think Penny cracked her beak DSCNB2367-r400
I think Penny cracked her beak DSCNB2385-r400
I think Penny cracked her beak DSCNB2389-r500
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:55 am

Penny does not look hurt (with concussion). You look eyes, and behavior. Eyes are dis-focused, bird acts sleepy, feeding and water intake reduced. Using electric torch on eyes can help you determine if pupil reacts quickly focusing.
Beak is not seriously injured and it will grow and mend by itself. Structure of the beak is more like our nails vitamins A and E are more important than calcium.
You may try gently and carefuly to file tip, just to prevent further cracking.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Teresa,

These are the symptoms of concussion in birds from Beryl M Chapman's Booklet : Homeopathic Treatment for Birds:

Standing with head hanging between the legs, often with head twisted to one side.

Lying down with wings extended and head twisted or held sharply against its neck.

Flapping as if trying to fly with eyes closed and neck twisted or held sharply against neck.

Fluttering round in circles with legs dragging behind it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:05 am

Cynthia,
if a bird has a severe concussion - can this be cured - i.e. can it heal again? What is your experience with this and what should you do with the bird then?
I am asking because my suspicion is that our Wally had exactly that. The symptoms were exactly as you described. This would mean that we sentenced him to death by calling the emergency vet who apparently had no idea about birds... Very sad This would be very bitter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:08 am

Thank you so much, Plamenh and Cynthia!

She's not showing any of those symptoms, thank goodness, in fact a moment ago she was standing and preening herself (and giving me the customary offended look Happy ).

I've got the vitamins, so I'll go and put some in her water. I'll also gently file her beak this evening at medication time.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think Penny cracked her beak   I think Penny cracked her beak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think Penny cracked her beak
Page 1 of 1