Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller

Go down 
+4
wolfwood
NiteOwl
jamy
Matilda
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Empty
PostSubject: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Cutie Pie is a one footed Roller. He showed up here in 2003, with both legs and joined my little flock. He has always looked out of place next to my well fed Ferals and Homers because he is very, very small...a doll of a Pigeon you could say.

On October 12, 2005, I walked into the garage, where my Pigeons were kept, to turn off the lights and close up for the night. There, hanging by one foot, by the rung of a ladder was poor little Cutie Pie. It was his band that got stuck and he severed his foot trying to free himself.There was blood everywhere and it took some doing to get him undone and even though he was exhausted from thrashing to free himself, there was some energy left in him. Clearly, I could see, that his foot was connected only by a small piece of skin and I kept him quite and supported until I was able to get him to the vet in the morning.

Everyone suggested...and I mean eveyone, that I should have him put to sleep but I refused and didn't even see it as an option. What would life be like for a one footed roller? Latter that day, I returned with Cutie Pie, bandaged and groggy form pain medication.

By the next morning, he was active and eating. I kept him in a large cage for months afraid he wouldn't do well with the other birds. Finally I did give it a try and it was just fine. He asn't bullied and even found himself a mate. I have made accomidations by providing a lower water a food dish and a padded nest box.

Sadly, his mate passed on over a year ago. We were both with her when she died and Cutie Pie went crazy. He flew from hospital room into the garage attacking any bird in his way...back and forth...back and forth. It was heart breaking for me to watch him grieve so.

Recently, most my Pigeons moved to Jolly's loft in Washington State but not Cutie Pie, I could never part with him.

Picture to follow.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Cutie Pie   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm

Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller 100_0510

Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller 100_0511
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:11 pm

That's such a heart wrenching story, he coped and adapted so well to losing his foot. It would have broken my heart too seeing him react like that at losing his mate.

I'm glad you still have him, he looks lovely.

Janet
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:53 pm

He's such an adorable little bird. I hope he one day finds another mate.
Back to top Go down
wolfwood
Special Pigeon Angel
wolfwood

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh, Charis!! What a face !!! (I've gotten very attached to the "Roller look"!!!) I'm so glad to hear that he has a forever home with YOU! He knew he'd found a TRUE pigeon angel when he found you Pigeon angel

<NOTE: Clipper's story has been moved to it's own thread>

Last edited by wolfwood on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://4winds.zenfolio.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Cutie Pie is adorable! What an expressive face! Living proof that size and quality don't always go hand in hand.
I'm sure I'd read his story before. It's amazing how, when we are faced with a terrible, terrible sight, something is triggered that allows us to look after the bird, calm him down and do what needs to be done rather than panic and freeze. I'm so glad you persevered! Where special rehabber and special bird meet, magic happens! Circle of Love

I also loved Clipper's story. A real survivor, and a smoothie who landed on his feet. Being so young he shows a lot of promise for the future. Best wishes for the plucky youngster and... pictures, please! Tickled Pink
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Charis, what a look on that little face. I can imagine how heartbreaking that must have been when Cutie Pie lost his mate. How on earth can people say that animals do not have emotions or cannot feel anything. Every day proves the opposite. I fully understand why you love him so...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:06 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
Charis, what a look on that little face. I can imagine how heartbreaking that must have been when Cutie Pie lost his mate. How on earth can people say that animals do not have emotions or cannot feel anything. Every day proves the opposite. I fully understand why you love him so...

I felt physically sick watching him grieve.
Back to top Go down
Cammypigeon

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 2:54 am

awwwwww poor sweetie how is he now?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 am

Cutie Pie is good.
He still hasn't found a mate but does follow Beetle Bug around and I do find them roosting close to each other. He was quite intent on her mother, Fallen but Blue won Fallen's heart instead.
Fingers crossed for Cutie Pie.
Back to top Go down
Cammypigeon

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:28 am

Yes fingers crossed Happy

that is so adorable!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 am

Matilda wrote:
Cutie Pie is good.
He still hasn't found a mate but does follow Beetle Bug around and I do find them roosting close to each other. He was quite intent on her mother, Fallen but Blue won Fallen's heart instead.
Fingers crossed for Cutie Pie.

:Yes:
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller   Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cutie Pie...The One Footed Roller
Page 1 of 1