Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

The story of Hades

Go down 
+5
jamy
NiteOwl
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Cynthia
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cynthia

Cynthia

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 am

This is a story that took place outside the forum with e-mail communications, but I want to share it with you as the rescuer really touched me . But it is also a warning about the way some rescue places operate, diagnosing and condemning a bird before they even examine it despite being "Pigeon Friendly".

I have not included my responses as you will have read or skipped the same stuff about rehydration and feeding from me over and over in the past, besides which I just want to focus on the rescuer and the outcome :

21/09/09 23:54 pm

hello,

I have found a pigeon which is looking a bit worse for wear. I picked it up from underneath a market stall today around 2pm carried it home much to it's unsatisfaction. However it has shown no signs of improvement and I am concerned for it wellbeing.

There seems to be no obvious signs of ailment, there is no yellow lesions around it's neck or head from what I can see. it's last couple of movements have been watery with a green/yellow colour. It seems VERY drowsey having been asleep (or maybe just resting it's eyes as it hasn't been laying down) for the last couple of hours. seems to have problems keeping it's eyes open for long though they don't seem swollen or particularly sensitive? He cannot fly and falls on his face often when trying to walk.

I have put him in a box which I cut one side off and put that inside a pet carry basket....in my garage The story of Hades Icon_sad, with some cut grass which is close to turning into hay for bedding, with some 'Trill' bird seeds and water (Though somewhere I read that I should put apple cider vinegar in that, the only bottle I have of that is for horses which I think might be a TAD too strong).

I understand you are not vets, and that you cannot really tell me what to do but I honestly know nothing about birds, infact I can only just tell it's head from it's bum! Just want to do what I can for it.

22/09/09 09:32

Thank you for your speedy response, unfortunatly I couldn't check my mail this morning before going to work. This morning he did seem brighter and tried to get away from me a fair bit. I hope I'm not upsetting him too much keeping him in the box. He didn't seem interested in the water or food still this morning.

One of his eyes were stuck shut this morning when I checked him, which I washed very gently until he could open it, I let him out to see if he could walk/fly unfortunatly he spent most of the time falling on his face attempting to walk with his wings however was very unsuccessful!!

22/09/09 10:56

hello
just called them (Wildlife Lodge) and it sounds as if I will drop him off this evening for them to put him down as they believe it to be PMV? Thanks very much for all your help cynthia, am very sad about this outcome because I was hoping it was something they could do something for however it doesn't sound very likely but atleast he wasn't left on the street to be chased by a child or eaten...or infect other birds.

22/09/09 13:12

YES! so you think they (Pigeon Recovery and Billy at the Retreat) can help him?! I would MUCH prefer give him to someone who will rehabilitate him. If they can recover him, why oh why don't they?! Gosh that has made me so angry! I know he is suffering right now, but he seems to have some fight left in him yet!

Can get him to the place in crockenhill as that is literally round the corner from where I keep my horses so can drop him off tonight. Are they open in the evenings? As I will be there about 7pm. I feel a bit silly phoning these places because I hardly know what I'm talking about, all that aside I have rather taken to the little guy who we have nicknamed Hades. If I drop him off, do you think they will keep in touch with me regarding him? I'd just like to know if he was alright/survived really don't seem to be able to keep my mind off him.

23/09/09 9:21

Hello Cynthia,

I took Hades to Billy, and we were so lucky that the ladies from Pigeon
recovery where actually there as we arrived. They were ever so happy to
take him off me, I'm so happy knowing that he is now safe and will be
looked after until he is well enough to take care of himself. They said he
was young and very hungry. Which I felt a bit bad about that maybe I
hadn't tried hard enough to encourage him to eat/drink.

Both Billy and the ladies from Pigeon recovery (sue and lynn?) were
disgusted about the Wildlife lodge saying they could put him down. Which
was nice because they shared me views that the little guy had some fight
in him and that he would recover and never suffer this again.

They were amazing people, and if I ever encounter a sick or sorry animal
that I can help again I know exactly where I will take it. Nice to know
there are these fantastic people out there, which obviously includes you
and all the support you gave me. I am ever so grateful to you I know you
must have been incredibly busy and you took alot of time dealling with my
problem which was very very kind of you Cynthia.

I hope all is well where you are, and once again deepest thanks for all
you help.

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 am

The story of Hades 753594 so much for sharing this story with us, Cynthia.

It brought bittersweet tears to my eyes, knowing how quickly this little one could have needlessly had his life taken (without even an attempt to help him) and then to have found The story of Hades 803589s who were willing to help him. The story of Hades 142829

Again, The story of Hades 686336 .

Last edited by Fancyfeathers on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 am

Cynthia, this brings bad memories back to me and I am very sad that at that point of time I did not know better when our sweet Wally was taken away by an emergency vet and PTS.
I hardly can forgive myself Very sad I only know now that this won't happen ever again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Cynthia

Cynthia

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Quote :
I am very sad that at that point of time I did not know better when our sweet Wally was taken away by an emergency vet and PTS.

Sadly that is an experience that I - and probably most of us - share. It was instrumental in my treating pigeons and taking an active part in forums. So I am horrified at how close my advice came to leading to the death of another innocent.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Cynthia, thanks for sharing this story. Too many unknowingly bring an injured or sick bird to a vet or rehabber, who either doesn't know anything, or just doesn't care. They tell the person who brought him in that the kindest thing they could do would be to put the bird down. They either don't know how to treat the bird, or just don't want to take the time. Many people go along with it, trusting that the vet or rehabber must know what they are doing. How many birds have lost their chance at life for absolutely no reason at all. Or they hand other the bird, thinking that it will be treated, and later find out that they just put him down. You have to be very careful where you go, and do not just leave the bird. If you do have to leave him, make it very clear, that it is YOUR bird, and that you want him back. That they are not to put him down.
When I rescued my first baby pigeons, I knew nothing about pigeons. Two of them were only 2 days old. The other four were about 2 weeks old. I didn't know what to do, so I went on line, found a rehabber that I thought would help me. She not only told me angrily that I shouldnt have taken them home, but that I should put them in a basket up in a tree, so that the parents would come to take care of them. This sad excuse for a rehabber, obviously knew nothing about pigeons, but probably couldn't have cared less if they lived or died. Their parents wouldn't have come near them, and it was cold here in New England in April. It also poured rain later the next night. If I had been a person with no common sense at all, and had trusted someone who should have known her job, They would all be dead now. As it is, I thought she was nuts. So I kept loooking for help in how to feed them and take care of them. I found enough information to care for them , and they, almost a year and a half later, are strong and healthy and very loved pets. I don't think that you can warn people often enough about being careful who they go to for help. And to encourage them to try to help the bird, even if someone says it's hopeless. Pigeons are amazing little creatures, with amazing healing abilities, and it's a life, and you just have to try. It was a great post Cynthia. Thanks again for sharing it. The story of Hades 142829
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Cynthia, that is a wonderful and very emotive story.

Thank goodness this lady kept you informed of what they had said so enabling you to divert a disaster this time.

It was good to read,

Janet
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Holy Sheep!! Cynthia, I held my breath reading your story!
I'm so relieved the little one found kind souls willing to help him get better, and I understand your horror at what nearly happened. If that unsuitable rehab centre is on Matilda's List, then it needs to come off, but then I'm sure you'll have mentioned it to Charis already.

As you said, we've all been there in one form or another.
When I was living in Glasgow I ran into the middle of the street to grab a pigeon that was attacked and then dropped by a predator. I took him to the PDSA, and was told the bird was very badly injured and could not be saved, and that they were going to have to PTS him. I'll never know if there was another possible outcome.
I'm very grateful for all the help and advice that presently make it possible for me to help some of the pigeons that I come across.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Great story Cynthia, and even better because of the ending.
My first rescue ended by Vet putting down squeaker with canker. On my way back I was trying to convince myself that they knew what they do. I couldn’t so that is what made me reading and learning and treating birds myself.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, I guess the one good thing about bad vets, is that it makes us all try to learn more about our birds, so that we will be able to treat them when something comes up. We know we have to be prepared for anything.
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 3:29 am

Quote :
If that unsuitable rehab centre is on Matilda's List, then it needs to come off, but then I'm sure you'll have mentioned it to Charis already

I maintain the UK list so I was responsible for including it and I took it off ...not because they euthanase pigeons with PMV (sadly a lot or rescue centres do that as it is a notifiable disease and because they don't have the facilities to isolate for 6 weeks ) but because they had diagnosed and condemned him before they had even seen him. They also didn't tell the rescuer that the majority of pigeons with PMV survive...and falling forward is not a symptom typical of PMV but of a very weak bird.

I think that I will have to revise the list and highlight the "kill" or "no kill" policiy of each one. All of them will hand raise youngsters which is why I keep those that specify that they will only treat animals that can be released back into the wild on the list. At least we know where we stand with them!

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:56 am

Cynthia wrote:
Quote :
If that unsuitable rehab centre is on Matilda's List, then it needs to come off, but then I'm sure you'll have mentioned it to Charis already

I maintain the UK list so I was responsible for including it and I took it off ...not because they euthanase pigeons with PMV (sadly a lot or rescue centres do that as it is a notifiable disease and because they don't have the facilities to isolate for 6 weeks ) but because they had diagnosed and condemned him before they had even seen him. They also didn't tell the rescuer that the majority of pigeons with PMV survive...and falling forward is not a symptom typical of PMV but of a very weak bird.

Excellent post and point, Cynthia. The story of Hades 526287
Back to top Go down
Squid

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:28 am

Its a lovely story but sad, i think far too many birds are handed in with the best intentions, and never realising the bird fate...
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Squid wrote:
Its a lovely story but sad, i think far too many birds are handed in with the best intentions, and never realising the bird fate...

I agree with you. Most people just don't ask enough questions. :For Shame:
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:48 am

Matilda wrote:
Squid wrote:

I agree with you. Most people just don't ask enough questions. The story of Hades 5244

In defense of many people, they have no idea what questions to ask. The story of Hades Icon_cry

When Chuck and I found Whitefeather, we had no idea what to do so we took her to the fish and game dept. Had they been more caring about the bird, rather than making 'sarcastic' remarks, we probably would left her with them, thinking they would properly 'take care of her'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The story of Hades Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of Hades   The story of Hades Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The story of Hades
Page 1 of 1