Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Thought I was right but maybe not...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

Thought I was right but maybe not... Empty
PostSubject: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I hope this is the correct place to ask this...

Last winter a sweet little pigeon hen was placed with us, her name is Pinkie.

The owners wanted her to eventually be put into one of the lofts so she could pair up & live happily ever after. Since she was an inside bird and I always like to keep new birds seperate from the flocks, we kept her in our living room. She bonded with me very quickly & had the run of the house when we were home.

This summer I put Pinkie & another house pigeon in a large cage together for a couple of months, I wanted both birds to get used to another pigeons company before placing them in a loft. They both got along great, but Pink still liked being with me more.

So last month I put these two in one of the lofts, Gabbi the other pet pij, is settled in & doing great BUT Pinkie is still alone, she's getting pushed around by some of the others & she comes to me evry time I go in the loft or flight. Very sad

Do I give her more time? Do I say the heck with it and bring her back in the house?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:49 pm

Personally, I would cave and bring Pinkie inside. It must be very stressful for her being in the loft without her own kind...she must think she is a human with feathers.
How old is she, Robin?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Maybe you should take Pinky and Gabby back in the cage and give them more time together. She can have your and Gabby's company that way and more time for self analysis. Smile
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Matilda wrote:
Personally, I would cave and bring Pinkie inside. It must be very stressful for her being in the loft without her own kind...she must think she is a human with feathers.
How old is she, Robin?

We are her second home so not exactly sure, but if I had to guess no younger than 3-4 yrs.

She does seem kinda stress, but is that because she's too humanized or because she has'nt found her place in the flock?

We normally don't have a problem with pet house pigeons being accepted into the flocks but I'm thinking Pinkie isn't going to be like the rest. Thought I was right but maybe not... 106767

Last edited by EgypSwiftLady on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:44 pm

plamenh wrote:
Maybe you should take Pinky and Gabby back in the cage and give them more time together. She can have your and Gabby's company that way and more time for self analysis. Smile

I would bring Gabbi in too but she paired up & is very happy with her new hubby.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 4:36 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

Do I give her more time? Do I say the heck with it and bring her back in the house?
You have tried a couple options with Pinkie and she clearly is not happy with those options, rather she would prefer to be in your company.
If it were me, I would bring her back inside where she is comfortable, content and happy. Thought I was right but maybe not... 588547
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks to all of you we have made the decision to bring Pinkie back into the house today.

I feel good that we gave her a chance in the loft to live among her own birth species.
To tell you the truth I was missing our cuddle time too. I love it/them
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 9:18 am

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

Thanks to all of you we have made the decision to bring Pinkie back into the house today.

Thought I was right but maybe not... 26340

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

I feel good that we gave her a chance in the loft to live among her own birth species.

I agree. They should at least be given the option.

EgypSwiftLady wrote:

Isn't that just the best? Thought I was right but maybe not... 588547
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 1:09 pm

What if you tried pairing her up with a mate? Maybe then they could go into the loft together. With a mate, they may not pick on her. I know my males will pick on a female who is alone more than if they have a mate around. Just an idea. I'd try it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was right but maybe not...   Thought I was right but maybe not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thought I was right but maybe not...
Page 1 of 1