Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Living with Petrie~

Go down 
+10
Cynthia
NiteOwl
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Birdbarn
jamy
EgypSwiftLady
Matilda
plamenh
AZJourney
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Living with Petrie~ Empty
PostSubject: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi~--- I’m Jenn and this is my story about our special needs Pijie~ Petrie!

I came across an ad on Craigslist that read… injured pigeon needs new home.

I ran for the phone…. I figured I could help find a home for the lil’ one… since he had recovered from an injury. But that was FAR from what this lil’ bird needed. After talking to the family that had him I had learned that their dog had attacked the bird earlier that morning and he was barely alive in a box in the backyard. My heart started in overdrive.
Don and I jumped in the car and Drove 45 minutes into Tucson to go get the bird. When we got there she said her husband told her, that "NO ONE was EVER going call about a stupid pigeon!" --idiot-- I was shocked when I opened the box…to find a VERY young feral… who’s eye was so swollen and his skull glistening off the porch light! I later found out that he was most likely a fledgling who was taking his maiden voyage! Living with Petrie~ Petrie12Living with Petrie~ Petrie13

It took many months to heal his injuries…he is now 9 months old but he has made a full recovery which has left him completely blind. To be the one who has brought him to the healthy happy bird that he is today is something that I am very proud of!

He has adapted to living without sight. Better than a human, I would argue. We have his cage set up with toys that are zip-tied onto the sides of his cage. He uses his beak to play with these and to navigate his way around. He has a hutch at one end …with a brick wrapped in a towel…(no cold feets in this house) he loves to perch there at the opposite end we cut a board that fits under his food, water and grit dish… so he knows when he steps up he can Munch away...... to his heart content! Living with Petrie~ 789920 He has outings with our other birds, although he is a teenager now and thinks his stuff and fluff is PRIME property… so we make him keep his distance. He spends a lot of his time with me…and has come to see me as his mate… I love it/them So I advert many of his teenage tactics!

To be honest it is a great honor to live with a special needs bird. He is really no different from all the others. And he CERTAINLY doesn’t think so! I whole heartedly argue that a bird is only as handicapped as you believe them to be… They adapt… and we as humans have much to learn form them!

My Beautiful Petrie Today; Living with Petrie~ Daylen12

Last edited by AZJourney on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Great story Jenn and Petrie is handsom boy. Smile
Can you please tell me more how did you teach him to eat and drink. Anything that did help you and him to overcame lack of sight?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:19 pm

I so agree with this statement...

To be honest it is a great honor to live with a special needs bird. He is really no different from all the others. And he CERTAINLY doesn’t think so! I whole heartedly argue that a bird is only as handicapped as you believe them to be… They adapt… and we as humans have much to learn form them!

Thank you, Jenn for sharing Petrie's story with us. It was expressed with such love and compassion that you had me tearing up yet again ...you have a way of doing that to me...touching my heart with your words.
Petrie is one lucky Pigeon that you read Craig's list that day.
XOXO to you both.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing Petrie's stroy Jenn Happy He is so lucky that you came along to rescue him,
and you are so lucky to have a wonderful BFF. Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Matilda wrote:

Thank you, Jenn for sharing Petrie's story with us. It was expressed with such love and compassion that you had me tearing up yet again ...you have a way of doing that to me...touching my heart with your words.
Petrie is one lucky Pigeon that you read Craig's list that day.
XOXO to you both.

Exactly the same reaction from me. What a lovely story.

You must feel so proud to have brought Petrie through this terrible start to his life and to see him cope so well with such a disability, it's quite inspirational.

Janet
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 pm

What a beautiful story!!!

You are so devoted to this very lucky guy.

You have made his living situation idea for his needs.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Many thanks for sharing Petri's story with us, Jenn. Living with Petrie~ 588547
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks YOU ALL! ...and you know... when I tell his story... I've got to admit, My heart smiles from Top to bottom-n-side to side-- I'm very proud! cheers

plamenh wrote:
Can you please tell me more how did you teach him to eat and drink. Anything that did help you and him to overcame lack of sight?

WOW~ Funny you should ask. Because I'm not sure I have a set answer. Hmmm When he arrived ... I was syringe feeding him 3x's a day. I added peas and corn and eventually dropped the syringe.... when I did that...I was popping him peas and corn ... he wouldn't just eat them on his own.

It wasn't until Cindy suggested Idea/thought trying to use a baby bottle nipple (obviously flipped upside down) to feed him, did he start to scarf um' all down on his own...

Once he did this I took the Nipple and used a small zip tye and fastened it to the inside of his food dish in his cage... that way he would know that he could get food there if he wanted it. At first he would only eat the peas and corn and then I started mixing in some pigeon feed with it. All the while I left the nipple in his food dish. After he got used to eating pigeon mix from the nipple I removed it and ...he instinctively knew where his food was and starting to eat all on his own! Living with Petrie~ 789920

As for his sight... Really he has plainly just adapted.... The only thing that I have done is; Keep his things and toys in the exact same spot! He knows where his crunchy ball is ziped tied... and when he gets to it on the side of his cage...he knows to step up to get to his food and water. He has a bear with a blanket hanging on the side of his cage towards the other end.(he'll snuggle with it and fall asleep)..and he knows when he gets to that ...he justs need to take a few steps to get to his hutch... So I guess being consistant is really how I help him.

I also should note that he has learned several commands: Up ... down... fly..... etc. Which helps when he outside of his cage!

But in all honesty... he doesn't know any different that he has something different... He's just one of the gang!
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Happy Could we get a picture of Petrie's home? Happy

He must be really connected to you.

The story has made my day.

Cheers to you.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 6:17 pm

AZJourney wrote:

plamenh wrote:
* It wasn't until Cindy suggested Idea/thought trying to use a baby bottle nipple (obviously flipped upside down) to feed him, did he start to scarf um' all down on his own...

As for his sight... Really he has plainly just adapted....
** he knows to step up to get to his food and water.

* I'm glad it worked, Jenn. Living with Petrie~ 458406

** Do you have a little perch close to the floor like we have for Rae Charles?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm

As a matter of fact YES I'd love to share pictures! I'll take some this weekend and post them! Happy

((Cindy)) You know... we don't... I really need to get him one.. so he can feel like a big bird! That's too funny Hmmm I think I just added a HONEY do to my list! Living with Petrie~ 142829
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 am

Jenn, thank you so much for sharing this story. Many years ago I would have thought that it might be better for the bird to euthanize him because a bird is made to fly. But now I think this is only a bloody excuse for making US feel better. What do we know of a bird's wish how he wants to spend his life and what makes him really happy?

All these examples show me that a living creature can be happy and enjoy life even with fewer possiblities. But maybe this bird is extremely happy to have found someone who really cares?
Why shouldn't a blind bird be allowed to live and be supported? Do we euthanize our blind or lame fellow creatures - i.e. other humans? Although sometimes I have the feeling there are people out there who wish exactly that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 9:56 am

Jenn, what a wonderful story. It is obvious in your writing, how very much you care for this little guy. He's a very lucky little bird that he has you. You're a very special person. At one time, I have to admit, that if a bird were badly handicapped, I thought that it would be better off put to sleep. How foolish I was! Since then, I have realize that they can and DO have a good quality of life if the right person comes along. It's obvious that you are the right person for this pij. This was a great story. Thanks for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 am

Thank you for all the great comments! It's nice to hear such uplifting things!... and I am glad I could show you that I love this guy SO much that I may have changed your minds; on the quality of life a--- handi"abled" bird has! Wink ~

As promised... here is pictures Picture(s)/video of his cage!

Living with Petrie~ Petrie14
Living with Petrie~ Petrie15
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:24 am

pigeonwriter wrote:
Jenn, thank you so much for sharing this story. Many years ago I would have thought that it might be better for the bird to euthanize him because a bird is made to fly. But now I think this is only a bloody excuse for making US feel better. What do we know of a bird's wish how he wants to spend his life and what makes him really happy?

All these examples show me that a living creature can be happy and enjoy life even with fewer possiblities. But maybe this bird is extremely happy to have found someone who really cares?
***Why shouldn't a blind bird be allowed to live and be supported? Do we euthanize our blind or lame fellow creatures - i.e. other humans? Although sometimes I have the feeling there are people out there who wish exactly that.

*** I agree 100%~ Off the topic of birds.... we have an Austrillian Shepard Dog who is 100% Deaf...and 90% Blind... born that way at birth... We got her when she was only 3 months old. Her breeder knew that breeding a double merle gene against itself would warrent more than half the puppies with birth defects... but they BREED anyways... because when you breed a Double against a double you get the chance of breeding a PURE WHITE puppy... that they then sell for thousands! So for the one they may get ... they sacrafic all the others... most end up... being disposed of in ways my brain can't comprehend... others are PTS when they are dumped into shelters.. because of the intake at the local shelters render them unadoptable due to sight and vision ... and those who are lucky enough to be pulled out into a Rescue ...are VERY few and far!

Shyla is alomst 1 year old... and she relies on our Golden Retriever for her sight and sound... He watches over her like an hawk-- If she is in the backyard and can't hear us... all we have to do is tell Keanu: "Go get Shyla!" ....and he runs and nudges her to get her to come in!...she can see very little with her "starburst" blue eye..... so we have taught her sign language... which she responds to very well. She knows... a dozen sign Language commands now! We also use touch talk with her... So for example if she is facing the wrong way and can't see us we will tap her twice on her hind leg... and she knows that means to sit down. It may seem like a lot of work... But She doesn't know that she is any different than our other dogs... She runs and plays with Keanu (our Golden @her side)...they are inseperable! Keanu is only 2 so they will live their life out together....

She deserves the chance... She didn't ask to have such a begining in life... but, what she can teach is that just because you can't hear or see doesn't mean you can't feel love!

Living with Petrie~ Christ10
Living with Petrie~ 001_0110
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 pm

"She deserves the chance... She didn't ask to have such a begining in life... but, what she can teach is that just because you can't hear or see doesn't mean you can't feel love!"

Precious dogs. Living with Petrie~ 52853

You are something else, my friend.

Living with Petrie~ 6049
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm

That's too funny Petrie's cage is cleaner than my house. His set up is amazing. What a fortunate bird to have you and you have him. That's too funny

The doggie story put tears in my eyes. They both look so happy together. What a heart warming story.

Cheers to you!
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Jenn, Petries set up is great. And the dogs are so cute together. I just love dogs, and that snuggle pic of them is absolutely fabulous.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm

NiteOwl wrote:
Jenn, Petries set up is great. And the dogs are so cute together. I just love dogs, and that snuggle pic of them is absolutely fabulous.

It really is fabulous. Wouldn't it make a wonderful oil painting?
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes it would. I'd have it painted and hang it on the wall. I really love it.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 pm

hmmmm... I think I have a project for my next canvas!!! THANKS for the Idea/thought !

so now that I have hijacked my own thread several times... Im going to do it again...lol... When we lived in Florida... I painted a mural of The Clearwater Beach Pier... on our wall... It took me quite awhile... and when we sold our house they painted over it ( I understand that)... I learned that Canvas... is THE way to go!!!

Living with Petrie~ Florid10
Back to top Go down
Cynthia

Cynthia

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 3:23 am

Quote :
Many years ago I would have thought that it might be better for the bird to euthanize him because a bird is made to fly. But now I think this is only a bloody excuse for making US feel better. What do we know of a bird's wish how he wants to spend his life and what makes him really happy?

That is so true, Petra. These stories about disabled pigeons show just how much they can enjoy life.

Jenn, Petrie's "domain" is wonderful! He looks really happy and confident.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:33 am

Cynthia wrote:
Quote :
Many years ago I would have thought that it might be better for the bird to euthanize him because a bird is made to fly. But now I think this is only a bloody excuse for making US feel better. What do we know of a bird's wish how he wants to spend his life and what makes him really happy?

That is so true, Petra. These stories about disabled pigeons show just how much they can enjoy life.

Jenn, Petrie's "domain" is wonderful! He looks really happy and confident.

I agree...

With Petrie... he is VERY confident... when he is out in the bird room ... he walks around with a PURPOSE! and .... with enough attitude for the whole room.

I do believe it is --truly an excuse for us humans to justify the "why" they can't survive.... or "why" they shouldn't... because that is the mindframe of being human. Most humans see the worst in situation and begin to learn how to make it better from there. Instead of taking lessons from nature.... where they see the BEST and make it even better.

Being special needs or handicapped is just our humanistic way of placing a name on something; that we compare to the "ideal" of what is called ---normal. Is there really a normal... and if so who sets the standard???
My point being... just because your different doesn't ever mean that you can't find a way to inspire others through the actions that you take... some of the actions from these.."different" souls..(be it human or animal) personally INSPIRE me beyond many of the things any "Normal human/animal" could ever achieve.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 am

AZJourney wrote:
Totally agree with you. Hats off to you Jen for taking care of Petrie and showering him with all the care and love he totally deserves. Looking at him who can tell that he is any different from the other birds? Way To Go He looks so happy with you.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 am

AZJourney wrote:
Shyla is alomst 1 year old... and she relies on our Golden Retriever for her sight and sound... He watches over her like an hawk-- If she is in the backyard and can't hear us... all we have to do is tell Keanu: "Go get Shyla!" ....and he runs and nudges her to get her to come in!...she can see very little with her "starburst" blue eye..... so we have taught her sign language... which she responds to very well. She knows... a dozen sign Language commands now! We also use touch talk with her... So for example if she is facing the wrong way and can't see us we will tap her twice on her hind leg... and she knows that means to sit down. It may seem like a lot of work... But She doesn't know that she is any different than our other dogs... She runs and plays with Keanu (our Golden @her side)...they are inseperable! Keanu is only 2 so they will live their life out together....

She deserves the chance... She didn't ask to have such a begining in life... but, what she can teach is that just because you can't hear or see doesn't mean you can't feel love!
How amazing Jenn. Loved reading about Shyla and Keanu I love it/them So overwhelmed...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Living with Petrie~   Living with Petrie~ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Living with Petrie~
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next