Pigeon Angels


 
RegisterFAQSearchHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Share | 
 

 How strange is this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2009-07-25
Location : Munich/Germany

PostSubject: How strange is this?   Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 pm

It is dark already since nearly 2 hours but I heard a flapping sound outside. Hoping that Pina decided to come home - she is gone again after she was here inside today nearly for the whole day - I saw a foreign pijji sitting in front of the water bowl, carefully checking where the liquid started (reminded me of a blind person trying to fumble for things) and drinking. After finishing the bird flew off again. It was definitely not Pina.
How strange is that?
I mean it is completely dark besides the street lamps far down which might be a help for navigating and our light in the livingroom but I always thought that pigeons do not fly in the night?

That tells me to definitely leave at least the drinking bowl (which I always re-fill in the late afternoon) outside during the night. Apparently all pigeons in this area know exactly where they get what from whom and they find it even in the night. Isn't this sweet? I love it/them
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:02 pm

Poor thing...I'm glad you noticed.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-09-10
Location : Johannesburg, South Africa

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Pigeons and doves do not usually fly at night, but on several books I found that it is believed that pigeons can navigate at night using stars. Some pigeons were returning from flights covering distances that it would be not possible if thy were not flying during the night.
On several occasions I sheltered doves that were sitting on the window still outside and knocking on the glass with their beaks. This was happening long after dark and every time they were in need (sick or injured) and obviously desperate to get help.
Back to top Go down
lindylou
Special Pigeon Angel


Posts : 18
Join date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Very sad Laughing pigeon 1 these birds continue to fascinate me. They are so smart....I was reading on PigeonPeople.blog that scientists have found through research that pigeons are at least as smart as dolphines, chimps and other higher intellingent species and can even recognize over 36 different faces at once and have long, excellent memories, but I'll bet you already know far more than this yourself. It just makes me love them all the more. I know my Park pijjies sure know me now and come immediately to me and I just love how they let me handle and cuddle them. They really love attention.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:44 pm

I know how smart Pigeons are and yet they still amaze me. I feel so sorry for all those humans that haven't got a clue.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm

pigeonwriter wrote:
It is dark already since nearly 2 hours but I heard a flapping sound outside. Hoping that Pina decided to come home - she is gone again after she was here inside today nearly for the whole day - I saw a foreign pijji sitting in front of the water bowl, carefully checking where the liquid started (reminded me of a blind person trying to fumble for things) and drinking. After finishing the bird flew off again. It was definitely not Pina.
How strange is that?
I mean it is completely dark besides the street lamps far down which might be a help for navigating and our light in the livingroom but I always thought that pigeons do not fly in the night?

That tells me to definitely leave at least the drinking bowl (which I always re-fill in the late afternoon) outside during the night. Apparently all pigeons in this area know exactly where they get what from whom and they find it even in the night. Isn't this sweet? I love it/them

You're right, Petra, it is unusual for a pigeon to fly at night. Not unheard of, but unusual.

I hope the little pij that came to visit you made it to wherever it was going without any problems.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 pm

I agree, Lindylou, pigeons are extremely fascinating.
The only thing I ever knew about pigeons was that they used to carry messages.

It was only after we found baby Whitefeather that I began to really learn about these wondrous birds.
I believe I learn something new about them everyday.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 1374
Join date : 2009-07-25
Location : Munich/Germany

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 am

Fancyfeathers wrote:

I believe I learn something new about them everyday.

So true, Cindy. The more I observe them, the more I read about all these stories in this forum the more I think I know nothing about them. I am especially amazed about their various behaviours which seem so human-like. I don't think that this is interpretation only because I love them so much. I think there are some "programs" in their genes which might be entirely not distinctive from those we humans have: their various personalities, their little jealousies, their fights, their love and taking care for the little ones (grandparents feeding f.e.), their loyalty and friendship that is not only fostered by food (f.e. when Joey just jumps on my shoulder or arm although he does not expect food - because his little belly is as full as it can get - Happy ) and and...

This all requests a high level of intelligence, logical thinking, drawing conclusions etc. Idea/thought
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

with you 100%, Petra.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
lindylou
Special Pigeon Angel


Posts : 18
Join date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:19 pm

This desire for our attention, approval and affection truly is amazing. And what gets me is how my favourite bird, Pij, loves to get on my arm or shoulder and he really looks me in the face. He is as interested and curious about his new friend (me!) as I am about him. He loves being petted and held. I have a hard time getting him to let go of me. It's like he wants me to take him home. He will not leave, even as I walk quite a distance with him perched on my shoulder and I have to take him and gently launch him before he will go. Maybe he is an escapee from a loft and desires closer human interaction?? Hmmm Idea/thought
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 pm

lindylou wrote:
This desire for our attention, approval and affection truly is amazing. And what gets me is how my favourite bird, Pij, loves to get on my arm or shoulder and he really looks me in the face. He is as interested and curious about his new friend (me!) as I am about him. He loves being petted and held. I have a hard time getting him to let go of me. It's like he wants me to take him home. He will not leave, even as I walk quite a distance with him perched on my shoulder and I have to take him and gently launch him before he will go. Maybe he is an escapee from a loft and desires closer human interaction??

...Interesting...can you take a picture so we can see him? He sounds like a real love.
Back to top Go down
lindylou
Special Pigeon Angel


Posts : 18
Join date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Embarassed I have NO idea

I just bought my friend's digital camera and will get her to show me how to post a pic on here of Pijj and "the boys" as I call my two flocks. Thanks for asking me to - lol!!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 9198
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Pacific Northwest of the United States of America

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Great! If you need help posting the pictures, I'm happy to talk you through it. It's a wee bit tricky.
I'll pm you my phone number.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 pm

lindylou wrote:
Embarassed I have NO idea

I just bought my friend's digital camera and will get her to show me how to post a pic on here of Pijj and "the boys" as I call my two flocks. Thanks for asking me to - lol!!

We'd love to see some pictures, Lindylou.
If Charis isn't available when you're ready to post them, I've posted some instructions on the way I post pictures that might help.
Click here Instructions for Posting Pictures to retrieve them.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
lindylou
Special Pigeon Angel


Posts : 18
Join date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks, Charis and Cindy. I will look at your link, Cindy and may well ask questions of you, Charis, by e-mail, if I get stuck re posting the pics. LOL
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
avatar

Posts : 10863
Join date : 2009-01-11
Location : Arizona Southwestern United States

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 pm

lindylou wrote:
Thanks, Charis and Cindy.
I will look at your link, Cindy and may well ask questions of you, Charis, by e-mail, if I get stuck re posting the pics. LOL

Either of us will be more than happy to help you if the need arises.

_________________
Cindy

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
avatar

Posts : 662
Join date : 2009-10-25
Location : Bangalore, India

PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:07 am

Glad the poor pijjie was able to quench his thirst at that hour. Even i have seen a few of them fluttering around at night in my apartment complex. I leave the water bowl out at night too just in case some bird wants to have a drink. And yes the more I am observing them, i am getting to know how amazingly clever and affectionate they are. Never knew I was in for such a rewarding experience before getting to know them I love it/them

Would love to see your pijjie pics Lindylou Hi there/Bye
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How strange is this?   

Back to top Go down
 
How strange is this?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Pigeon and Dove Chit Chat-
Jump to: