Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Feral Baby with injured eye

Go down 
+9
Teresa
pigeonwriter
Effa
plamenh
Matilda
EgypSwiftLady
AZWhitefeather
Cynthia
Jackie\'s Mom
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:07 am

plamenh wrote:

Reduce handfeeding gradually but dont stop. This way he will not be stressed and will start eating alone. Skip midday feeding first, then after couple of days give 10 ml mornings etc.

Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 121820 with plamenh's suggestion, Louise.
Sometimes these little guys get pretty dependent on being hand fed.
This might be the case with your little one, given that he has eaten, and has the ability to eat, on his own.

Please do keep us posted. Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 458406
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 11:28 am

Thank you Plamenh for your advice. Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll give it a try, starting by eliminating the midday feeding today.

I'll let you know in a few days how it is going.

Louise
Back to top Go down
jamy
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 am

WOW Louise, that is an amazing development. Right on

Janet
Back to top Go down
Birdbarn
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 am

nutter Gosh, I missed this thread too. nutter

Louise, how is the little guy doing? He does seem to be making progress and that is good!

I'm sure that is very satisfying to you.
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:42 am

This little guy is doing fine. We go back to Dr. Hauck tomorrow for a re-examine now that the eye has completely fallen out. I don't know if it will be left the way it is or if Dr. Hauck will want to suture the eye closed.

Still having problems with him self feeding. I have tried cutting back on the hand feeding and he has shown little to no interest in his seed and water. When I found him he was eating with the rest of the ferals out in the backyard. I've tried puttig seed on the floor of the cage to mimic eating on the ground with no success. I know hunger is the greatest motivation, but he was so mal-nourished and has now put on some weight. I don't want to cut back on the hand feeding to the point where he will loose what he has gained.

I will update again tomorrow after seeing the Vet.

Louise
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Just got home from seeing Dr. Hauck. This little one will not need any surgery nor will the eye need to be sutured. Dr. Hauck feels he will be fine just the way he his and he is otherwise completely healthy. He has gone from 230 grams to 280 grams, so the hand feeding has worked. He is really strong and fiesty now and flys so well.

Another positive thing today, for the first time I noticed that there was seed scattered on the floor of his cage, so I think he is finally taking interest in his seed dish. I going to cut back more on the hand feedings and watch him carefully to see if he is now self feeding again.

I am really so pleased with all the progress this little one has made.

Louise
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 142829 Way To Go Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 116281 Celebrate
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Louise...that's wonderful!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 pm

Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 766985 Wonderful update, Louise.
Back to top Go down
priya
Special Pigeon Angel
priya

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 am

Great Thrilled
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:45 pm

Thank you for the wonderful news, Louise!
I'm delighted to hear of the youngster's progress.
Hip Hip Hooray Happy Dance Celebrate Thrilled Celebrate Happy Dance Hip Hip Hooray

Sorry this comment comes so late, but one idea to help convince him to peck for seed is to put him in a portable cage or carrier where the backyard flock come to eat, and scatter some seed in and immediately out of the cage. The others will start pecking at the seeds right in front of him and also trying to get seeds from inside his cage. Whether it's copying their actions, or competition to feed, or both, that should get him more interested in the seed. It's worked wonders for my soft releases! Tickled Pink

PS. Give your doggy a hug from me! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
rattyfied
Special Pigeon Angel
rattyfied

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 2:59 pm

that's great news Happy Feeling great
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattyfied/sets/
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Just a quick update on this little one. This baby has totally recovered. He/She is now eating and drinking on it's own and is full of energy. The eye is completely clear of any infection and has healed as best as can be expected. This little one is full of energy........almost impossible to catch...........flys like an eagle around the house.

Hopefully, this little one will be able to go to it's new forever home soon.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 11:19 pm

What a wonderful update. Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 98152 Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 686336 Louise. Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 333746
You have done a great job of caring for him/her.

Please keep us posted as to when he/she will be going to their new home.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 11:23 pm

I just had a message from Deborah a few minutes ago, wondering how she is doing.
Perhaps you should give her a call, when you have the opportunity. Do you still have the number? I'm happy to send it to you agin if you need me to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feral Baby with injured eye   Feral Baby with injured eye - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feral Baby with injured eye
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2