Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

A few questions (new to this site)

Go down 
+3
AZWhitefeather
Matilda
relford
7 posters
AuthorMessage
relford

A few questions (new to this site) Empty
PostSubject: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I just got around to joining this forum after being told about it by Floridaluv. I'm still a little rusty at this so hopefully I'm within the guidelines. A couple of months ago I rescued a lost pigeon who now lives in our house (the whole story is on Pigeon-Talk under my username: relford). He seems to be doing fine but I have a couple of questions perhaps someone in this forum has the answer to.

!) Should I clip his nails? They are pretty long and we have a rabbit who's nails must be cut periodically so he can walk properly. Is this an issue with pigeons?

2) He spends his nights sleeping on a perch in the basement and I notice most nights he will coo loudly for short periods of time. I'm a poor sleeper anyway so it doesn't bother me that much, but it's the only time I've ever heard him make a sound. Why does he do it? He doesn't spend much time in a cage so I don't think he's trying to protest his environment. He sleeps on the perch at night and sits on our kitchen stair rail most of his days. We got him some pigeon pants (which work like a charm if anyone needs a testimonial) to keep the mess to a minimum. Is he looking for a mate? I hope he's not lonely because I don't think I'm up for another one.

Thanks in advance to anyone.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Welcome to Pigeon Angels. A few questions (new to this site) 664395

I remember Jenn telling me about you and your Pigeon rescue and so I'm glad you are here.
Please do not need to clip the Pigeon's wings although you may need to trim the end of his toe nails periodically but even then...just the tip so to not create a bleed.
Male Pigeons do coo at night and I find it very comforting.
As long as he has time with you and your family, I wouldn't worry about him being alone. Actually though, having a mate seems like more work but it good make things easier for you.
Does he have some natural light ?
We'd love to see a picture.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi relford, A few questions (new to this site) 333746
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pigeon Angels. A few questions (new to this site) 458406

Yes, sometimes pigeon's nails do need to be trimmed. I'm a little gun shy about clipping my bird's nails so I file them. Does you bird have access to a brick that he can stand on? Sometimes this helps to keep the nails trimmed.

As far as the cooing at night, I'm going to have to admit, I really don't know why they do that, since they are supposed to be asleep. A few questions (new to this site) 164371 But one of mine does that as well as one of my doves.
The pigeon has a mate, however the dove does not. A few questions (new to this site) 106767

Others will be along to help us figure that one out. A few questions (new to this site) 142829
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi, and PNA Welcome ! Some of my males will coo at night, and I'm always running to the window to see if there is something bothering them. No. They just do that. Getting a mate for your bird really isn't much more work. They entertain each other. And are fun to watch. Sometimes I clip my birds nails, and sometimes I use a tool that was actually made for dogs and cats claws. It's kinda like a dremel, but for pets. It has a sanding thing that files them down. It has an attachment on it that you put their claw in, but I remove that part as their little claws could get caught in it. Just don't cut too much off at a time, or they will bleed and it will hurt him. You can always go back later and remove more if you have to. We love pictures here. Could you post some?
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 am

Welcome to the forum! Hi there/Bye
Cooing at dusk and early morning is ritual most of pigeons perform. Night cooing is mostly males issue I believe part of their territorial instinct and usually occurs when disturbed (can be dreams, noise etc.).
As for the nails, if you place brick, that he can perch on it, they will be naturally trimmed.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 am

I also have a hen that coos at dawn and at some TV programmes -- she likes Stargate Atlantis best, we can't watch a single episode without her having her say! ROTFL
Because of that cooing I had thought that she was a male... until she laid an egg!
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 12:40 am

A few questions (new to this site) 914356
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Rob..... ACKKKKKK Heaven help me ... I'm afraid I owe you a proper WELOCME to Pij-n-angels... I'm sorry for not finding this sooner....and a long OVERDUE..... Welcome

How is Pudgey doing???? A few questions (new to this site) 789920

I am so THRILLED you ordered pigeon pants!!!!!!! Thrilled YIPPIE... Thrilled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few questions (new to this site)   A few questions (new to this site) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few questions (new to this site)
Page 1 of 1