Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Spiky Montreal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LovelyFlight
Special Pigeon Angel
LovelyFlight

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Today I visited the place Lucky found me, Place Alexis Nihon, downtown Montreal. Since I had just bought a new camera, I decided to take some pictures.
Here is a pigeon relaxing on a restaurant sign:
Spiky Montreal Angeli11

Notice something? The spikes??? So I investigated further:

Spiky Montreal Mcdona10

And further:
Spiky Montreal Starbu10
Spiky Montreal Sports10

Here is a pigeon who is not letting go of his rights:
Spiky Montreal Ontopo10

I don't know how I feel about these spikes all over the city...
Spiky Montreal Spiky10

As I was waiting for the bus, this gorgeous one came to say hello :)
Spiky Montreal Hello10

And here is an overzealous male Wink that's how we do it in the city :)
Spiky Montreal Overze10

So...any thoughts? I have to say that this is better than poisoning or shooting the angels...but, does anyone have a friendlier solution?
Back to top Go down
http://www.shinyhappycats.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Looks like the McDonalds sign is sprouting whiskers.

Poor little pigeons...it's difficult for them no matter where they live although t it does seem like there is an over kill of spikes in Montreal.
Irina...I don't have any easy solutions. The only one that is long term is education and the city lofts as we have talked. I don' know how you will talk Montreal into city lofts but if anyone can...it's you.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Spikes always make me sad Very sad and to see so many makes me even sadder for not only the pigeons but also the people who don't seem to understand how lucky they are to have such beautiful 'urban wildlife' at their finger tips.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 pm

There are no words for me to describe how much I HATE those darn spikes. Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad Seeing red/mad

My neighbor behind my house has them all over the entire frame of his roof. I look at them everyday Heaven help me

Thank God my ferals have learned to stay completely away from them. When he first put them up one of my little rescues lost an eye to them Very sad

Only good thing I can say is that they are less harmful than poison, BB guns and glue traps. I'v had to deal with all of that as well.

Louise
Spiky Montreal 23878
Back to top Go down
LovelyFlight
Special Pigeon Angel
LovelyFlight

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm

I can understand why the pigeons are not welcome in those places, they poop all over the people on the sidewalk right underneath. There is a park right across the street where flocks of pigeons have been fed for years so they are not about to just move. It just makes me very sad to see the city like this, all these spikes... although I am sure nobody else notices. I really cannot think of anything else but trays or some sort of gutters right under the signs, or move the sings somewhere else, maybe right on the outside wall...I will have to look into this. I never even noticed those things until today. I don't know how long they have been there, although I have noticed less pigeons on the sidewalks lately. I will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 pm

That little black and white pigeon is very pretty.
Back to top Go down
AZJourney
Special Pigeon Angel
AZJourney

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 pm

EgypSwiftLady wrote:
Spikes always make me sad Very sad and to see so many makes me even sadder for not only the pigeons but also the people who don't seem to understand how lucky they are to have such beautiful 'urban wildlife' at their finger tips.

I say this everytime I see pigeons in the city!!!! People look at me with a crooked smile.. and then they realize that I am serious when I tell them that I have 10! I would love to watch ferals in my backyard. They ARE lucky.. :Yes: I agree.

My take is the same as Louise! Major Rant I can't stand them!!!! But at least its not poison.. or that DREEDED sticky tape.... I just DON'T get it

Does anyone know??? Question I had my dad put up CD's (hanging ones)) by thier doors and awnings to keep the songbirds away.. it works like a dream.... I wonder if it would work on pigeons???
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:59 pm

It would be worth a try and a lot more attrctive than the spikes....but then it's not up to us, which is unfortunate.

Last edited by Matilda on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LovelyFlight
Special Pigeon Angel
LovelyFlight

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

I would like to have a few different solutions so I can add it to my proposal for the city of Montreal. How would the hanging CD's work in a case like Montreal? I am afraid I don't quite understand how they work...
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

http://www.ehow.com/video_4950652_scare-away-birds-old-cds.html

Ignor the commercial at the beginning of the video.
Ignor that the fellow talking calls pigeons nasty. He's ignorant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spiky Montreal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiky Montreal   Spiky Montreal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spiky Montreal
Page 1 of 1