Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Explosive diarrhoea

Go down 
+3
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Matilda
Teresa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Explosive diarrhoea Empty
PostSubject: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:34 am

Piper has explosive diarrhoea, and Hercules's poops are going soft.
They were both treated for coccidia a few days ago, with Cocci Plus, which also has bactericidal action against GI tract infections. But there's been no improvement, quite the contrary.
Piper has been doing enormous, evil-smelling poops from being on the nest for a long time, but last night, when I let her out, she sprayed a large area of the room, well beyond the newspapers I'd put down under her landing board. Not feeling well

Explosive diarrhoea DSCNB5618-r550

Both pigeons are acting normally otherwise, though I felt that Hercules looked a bit fluffed-up last night.
I fear they may have caught something from a visiting feral, as Grumpy and his pals keep trying to come in, even when I'm in the room, and it's hard to half-close the windows with the heat -- and the smell...

Any thougts? I thought coccidia or salmonella, but the med should have taken care of that.

I finally got injectable Ivermectin 1% from the vet (huge bottle, $ouch!) and was going to worm all of them, but I'm putting that on stand-by for now.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 am

All of mine have evil, vile, stinky poops after getting off the nest. It's because they hold it for so long.
This sounds normal to me.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you so much, Charis! Thank You circling I'm glad they're okay! Happy

In that case it should be safe to proceed with worming.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Yes...it should, Teresa.
Back to top Go down
Mrs.AviatorRodent
Special Pigeon Angel
Mrs.AviatorRodent

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Teresa,
I'm not knowledgable in pigeon diseases but if they are nesting then like Charis said, it is pretty normal. Georgie does really stinky big poos when she's nesting, sometimes they are solid, sometimes really watery.

I hope it is nothing serious with your pigeons. Good luck. x
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonsaspets.co.uk
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm

As a 'new mom' to a young female who just started laying, I'm relieved to hear that the large stinky poops are normal. YUK

I'm just wondering, do you guys give your pigeons any natural supplements or remedies for the smelly poops? Or do you just leave them be? I keep wondering if there's anything else I can do. Explosive diarrhoea 106767
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 pm

I have NO idea ...I( just put up with them and hold my breath. Great job
Back to top Go down
joyful_pigeon
Special Pigeon Angel
joyful_pigeon

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Matilda wrote:

:lol!: Alrighty, I'm on the right track then!
Because that's exactly what I've been doing. heehee
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:13 pm

joyful_pigeon wrote:
Matilda wrote:

:lol!: Alrighty, I'm on the right track then!
Because that's exactly what I've been doing. heehee

ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Matilda wrote:

:eek: :eek: :eek: If that's the case, I'll have to move them to another room. Can you imagine what will happen if the precious parents come to pick up their precious offspring just at the time one of the pigeons drops a stinker?! I'd be out of a job in no time!

I don't know why Piper spends so long in the nest anyway... She abandoned the first nest after sitting on a fake egg for two weeks, and straight away made a new nest that has nothing in it, and spends AGES there! confused I even worried she might be egg-bound, but she shows none of the symptoms.
Would you believe it, as I typed this, she came out and started preening...
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm

joyful_pigeon wrote:
As a 'new mom' to a young female who just started laying, I'm relieved to hear that the large stinky poops are normal. YUK

I'm just wondering, do you guys give your pigeons any natural supplements or remedies for the smelly poops? Or do you just leave them be? I keep wondering if there's anything else I can do. Explosive diarrhoea 106767

As long as nothing else seems amiss, I just deal with it.

A Pigeon's Prayer
Please watch over us while we fly,
Keeping us safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Please lead us to safety where we are welcome to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Matilda wrote:

All of mine have evil, vile, stinky poops after getting off the nest. It's because they hold it for so long.
This sounds normal to me.

I don't see many 'large' poops when they get off the nest, but they sure are a mess when the gals have laid their eggs. From both Mom and Dad. YUK

A Pigeon's Prayer

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Teresa wrote:
Matilda wrote:

:eek: :eek: :eek: If that's the case, I'll have to move them to another room.
* Can you imagine what will happen if the precious parents come to pick up their precious offspring just at the time one of the pigeons drops a stinker?! I'd be out of a job in no time!

I don't know why Piper spends so long in the nest anyway... She abandoned the first nest after sitting on a fake egg for two weeks, and straight away made a new nest that has nothing in it, and spends AGES there! confused I even worried she might be egg-bound, but she shows none of the symptoms.

** Would you believe it, as I typed this, she came out and started preening...

:That\\\'s so f I know it really isn't funny, Teresa, but your words are priceless. Happy Dance

** Gotta love her!! Circle of Love

A Pigeon's Prayer

Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my Jackie.

What I have done to combat the smell is to take her off the nest a few times during the day....she will poop within a few seconds.......I have tissues in hand....... YUK .pick up the big stinky mess immediately and flush it. Atleast it prevents the smell from contaminating the entire room.

At times it does seem like I'm fighting a loosing battle, but it works for me. I have NO idea

So sorry for all of you that have multiple hens. Explosive diarrhoea 310554

Louise
Explosive diarrhoea 789920
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Jackie\'s Mom wrote:
I have exactly the same problem with my Jackie.

What I have done to combat the smell is to take her off the nest a few times during the day....she will poop within a few seconds.......I have tissues in hand....... YUK .pick up the big stinky mess immediately and flush it. Atleast it prevents the smell from contaminating the entire room.

At times it does seem like I'm fighting a loosing battle, but it works for me. I have NO idea

So sorry for all of you that have multiple hens. Explosive diarrhoea 310554

Louise
Explosive diarrhoea 789920

I have four and it can be trying, that's for sure.
At least mine are outside in the aviary on the patio, so that helps some. But it still gets a bit nasty. YUK

A Pigeon's Prayer

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:

I have four and it can be trying, that's for sure.
At least mine are outside in the aviary on the patio, so that helps some. But it still gets a bit nasty. YUK

Sigh... I wish! Mine are indoors, in my study, which gets used as a classroom during the afternoon and evening. But I've been doing something similar to Louise's strategy: opening the cage door for them mid-morning, so they come out and exercise for a few minutes, and... PLOP! So I clean that up, clean the cages, put them back in AND OPEN THE WINDOW WIDE... gasp... Not feeling well
It's not ideal, but it's working reasonably well.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm glad you've found somewhat of a solution, Teresa. Smile Explosive diarrhoea 142829

A Pigeon's Prayer

Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:42 pm

My pigeons, that sleep in cages, hold their poop until I let them out in the morning. They do that to avoid soiling around the nest. In the wild, the smell could attract a predator to the eggs....or so I've been told. :Yes:
Back to top Go down
Tech
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:21 pm

That poop picture is the same as what my Bank poops sometimes. I already treated them with Spatrix (per Charis) but it looks like it's part of his normal poop.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Matilda wrote:
My pigeons, that sleep in cages, hold their poop until I let them out in the morning. They do that to avoid soiling around the nest. In the wild, the smell could attract a predator to the eggs....or so I've been told. :Yes:

Makes sense to me.

A Pigeon's Prayer

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explosive diarrhoea   Explosive diarrhoea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Explosive diarrhoea
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: