Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

First ill pij I've had in ages

Go down 
+2
Teresa
AZWhitefeather
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

First ill pij I've had in ages Empty
PostSubject: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

I went out to take some pictures of a beautiful cloud formation at dusk and spotted a little one huddled next to the feral water tub.
Chuck and I went over to see what was going on and I just picked him up without any argument.
I grabbed one of our duckling cages (that's all I have anymore) and a towel and got him settled in the AZ room.

Upon exam his keel bone is as sharp as a knife. No meat around it whatsoever. Very sad
He has a large lump on the left side of his throat, so I'm going to treat this as canker.

I diluted a Spartrix in a small amount of water and administered it drop by drop until it was gone. He seemed quite pleased to have some liquid. First ill pij I've had in ages 395766

He's bedded down for the night and I can only hope for the best.

The moment with the beautiful cloud formation had pretty much gone by the time I got the pij settled in, checked and medicated.
I was able to get a couple pictures. At least the colors are pretty. First ill pij I've had in ages 46723

First ill pij I've had in ages Cloud_11

Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 am

The picture is lovely, Cindy, it looks like God was flying a kite and there's an angel flying above it! Happy

Very best wishes for your little patient! Circle of Love How lucky for him you went out to take photos and found him! cheers
If I remember correctly, Charis said that Spartrix takes 2 days before it starts taking effect. If you have any Metronidazole (Flagyl or equivalent) that might give you a faster-acting first line of attack. Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 am

Teresa wrote:

The picture is lovely, Cindy, it looks like God was flying a kite and there's an angel flying above it! Happy

Very best wishes for your little patient! Circle of Love How lucky for him you went out to take photos and found him! cheers

If I remember correctly, Charis said that Spartrix takes 2 days before it starts taking effect. If you have any Metronidazole (Flagyl or equivalent) that might give you a faster-acting first line of attack.

Please keep us posted.

Good eye!! First ill pij I've had in ages 142829 I hadn't noticed that.

Thank you, Teresa.
He's still standing this morning, rather than lying down, which is a good sign to me.

The only meds I have are Spartrix.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:01 am

There's the angel... well, sort of, cause Paint is a terrible programme to do it in, but it would work in the hands of a real artist!

First ill pij I've had in ages Cloud_11-P
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 am

Teresa wrote:

If I remember correctly, Charis said that Spartrix takes 2 days before it starts taking effect. If you have any Metronidazole (Flagyl or equivalent) that might give you a faster-acting first line of attack. Please keep us posted.

No I didn't say that Teresa. Dr Hauck said that. I have found Spartrix to work quickly although it is not my drug of choice for canker.
The bird probably should be on an antibiotic as well and I can send you some or see if Jim can since he is closer.
Do you have any baby applesause?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 am

Matilda wrote:
Teresa wrote:

No I didn't say that Teresa. Dr Hauck said that. I have found Spartrix to work quickly although it is not my drug of choice for canker.
The bird probably should be on an antibiotic as well and I can send you some or see if Jim can since he is closer.
Do you have any baby applesause?

Thanks for clarifying that, Charis! Smile

Cindy, I'm glad he's standing! May he continue to improve! Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 am

Hope your new little rescue continues to improve Cindy Fingers crossed So happy you found her/him Pigeon angel

JUST TO CLEARIFY:

Dr. Hauck said that Spartrix works better at breaking up the canker, but it takes longer to work, 2/3 days. Flagyl/Metronidazole does not break it up as well but works quicker.

Dr. Hauck's canker attack plan is to give an initial dose of Flagyl 30/60 mg depending on weight, then follow with a Spartrix tablet 12 hours later, then continue with daily Flagyl for 10 days then give a second Spartrix tablet.

On numerous cases, Dr. Hauck has added an additional antibotic as well (Cipro).

For birds that crop is emptying slowly he adds Nystatin 0.3 TID as well.

His suggestions for feeding are: high acidic content first papaya juice/applesauce followed by small amounts of Kaytee. Thickness of Kaytee and amount to be increased as bird improves. He also suggests adding 2cc yogurt to Kaytee to aide in the digestive process.

Hope this sets the record straight.

Louise
First ill pij I've had in ages 789920

Last edited by Jackie's Mom on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 am

Jim is putting baytril and metronidazole in the mail today and so I would think it will be there tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 am

Cindy the sunset is very First ill pij I've had in ages 219375 Looks like the angel might have called you out just in time for the poor pij.

I hope the pij you found is doing better, sending healing prayers your wy. Feeling great Feeling great
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

How's the pigeon doing, Cindy?
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Matilda wrote:
How's the pigeon doing, Cindy?

Hope your little rescue is doing well Cindy.

Louise
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm sorry to report that the little one didn't make it. Very sad Very sad Very sad

For educational purposes I did get a picture of the lump while Chuck was holding him.
This was taken shortly before he passed away.
Chuck was not feeling too good so after I got the pictures, with tears in his eyes he handed me the little one and I held him until he passed away.

Just a little side note: He had absolutely no canker in his mouth nor was there any type of odor.
It could be the problem wasn't even canker, but that's what I suspected.

First ill pij I've had in ages 2010-059

Thank you very much for sending the meds, Jim. Universal hug
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 pm

You were only with us for one day.
We tried to help you in hopes you could stay.

But you were wanted up above.
So with tears in our eyes and an ache in our heart we handed you over to the beautiful doves.

You are at peace now and free of pain.
A pigeon angel you are once again

First ill pij I've had in ages 2010-060
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 4:53 am

Cindy, I just read this and it made me cry again. I feel very sorry that you could not help. But at least this little angel had a couple of hours full of love. Whatever he might have suffered from he is free now.
What a beautiful picture you created. Very sweet. Rest in peace little one and fly free

pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1 pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 am

Thank you, Petra. Universal hug
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 am

Poor little pigeon. I really hoped you had found him in time. Very sad

At least now you will have some emergency medications should there be another one that needs some help.

That is a beautful tribute, Cindy.
Back to top Go down
EgypSwiftLady
Special Pigeon Angel
EgypSwiftLady

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 am

So sorry to read about your rescue Cindy. Very sad

I wish we knew what the underlying problem was so we could attack it from the start with the correct meds! Seeing red/mad

You tried your best & the poor pij didn't have to pass without knowing someone cared enough to try. First ill pij I've had in ages 983488 First ill pij I've had in ages 983488 First ill pij I've had in ages 983488
Back to top Go down
http://www.ironwolffarmsanctuary.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 am

Oh Cindy, I'm so sorry the little one was too ill to be helped! Very sad
Your tribute to him is so beautiful and moving, it brought tears to my eyes. It can only be surpassed by the love you've shown him in the short time you had with him. God bless you both.

Fly high and safe, little one! Fly free. pigeon 1
Back to top Go down
Jackie\'s Mom
Special Pigeon Angel
Jackie\'s Mom

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Cindy, I am so very, very sorry that your little rescue didn't make it. Very sad

Your tribute to him is absolutely beautiful. First ill pij I've had in ages 983488

pigeon 1 FLY FOREVER FREE AND HIGH LITTLE ONE First ill pij I've had in ages 35455

Louise

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Thank you Charis, Robin, Teresa and Louise. Group hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First ill pij I've had in ages   First ill pij I've had in ages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First ill pij I've had in ages
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Emergency Room :: Pigeon and Dove Illness and Injury Discussion forum-
Jump to: