Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

No rest for the wicked

Go down 
+14
Jackie\'s Mom
priya
EgypSwiftLady
jamy
Capuccino
plamenh
AZJourney
Dolly
Jenaka
Cynthia
Matilda
pigeonwriter
AZWhitefeather
Teresa
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Teresa wrote:
That's the one that Pidgey recommended, I remember the name now. And no, nobody I asked here has ever heard of it. I might try a place that sells farm supplies though, as I was told it was used as horse liniment.

If you need for me to send it to you, I will.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Matilda wrote:
Teresa wrote:
That's the one that Pidgey recommended, I remember the name now. And no, nobody I asked here has ever heard of it. I might try a place that sells farm supplies though, as I was told it was used as horse liniment.

If you need for me to send it to you, I will.

Thank you so much for your offer, but I'll try the other suppliers first, especially as the mail takes quite a while to get here from the US. But I'll let you know how the search goes.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Today I caught a limping pigeon that came to feed at my window yesterday and today.
There was a clear fracture above the knee, but it was an old one, completely healed. You could feel the two parts of the bone had knitted together with a very slight overlap, leaving that leg a little shorter than the other, but there was no swelling and no infection.
As he could go about his life ok, and was otherwise in good health, I let him go. Twenty minutes later he was back on the windowsill, so I'll keep supplementing his diet so he doesn't have to compete too hard for food and drink. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 789920
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 4:29 pm

I shudder when I think of just how many pigeons are out there with injuries that have healed without 'pigeon angel' intervention. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 764214
I'm glad to hear this one seems to be doing good, Teresa.
He definitely know where a good meal can be found. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 803589

Please keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 pm

He's a clever bird, and that must have helped him survive. I do hope he keeps coming. I think I'll call him Cassidy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 pm

You may also try Arnica pills for that leg.
I have injured Senegal dove with big lump on the wing joint. Two days on Arnica reduced swelling in half.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Thank you for that advice, I should be able to get Arnica no problem!
Thanks Thanks Thanks
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Penny has now been on Arnica for two days, and there is a definite improvement. Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:44 pm

That's great I'm glad that is working for Penny. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Teresa wrote:
Penny has now been on Arnica for two days, and there is a definite improvement.
Fingers crossed!

That's great to hear, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 142829

Yes indeed!! Please do keep us posted.

Last edited by Fancyfeathers on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:57 pm

That's wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:18 pm

It's been a beautiful day over here, but a very sad one. I went out to take some more photos and try to spot my releases, especially Noel, as I still don't know if he managed to escape the poison.
Soon after I spotted a seagull in distress, but even though some fishermen tried to help we weren't able to reach her in time. :(
On the way home, as I crossed the park, I picked up another youngster with YBS. As soon as he'd warmed up I gave him Flagyl and Baytril and just kept him warm and hydrated using tepid water with honey and a tiny pinch of salt. He was so weak I didn't try to offer food until he was more responsive. Unfortunately that never happened. He passed away half an hour ago. Very sad
May they both take to the skies beyond the rainbow bridge, free at last.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Very sad
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm so sorry that the events of your day were on a sad note, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 319297

I hope you spot Noel.
I'll be thinking positive thoughts that he did escape the poisoning.
Back to top Go down
plamenh
Special Pigeon Angel
plamenh

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:29 pm

YBS is devastating disease or better said bunch of diseases. There was an outbreak two years ago and used Adenosan from Chevita. Works well but only if you catch youngster on time. Chamomile tea with honey instead of food is to keep them alive for day or two until stabilized and Adenosan in bread balls (it’s a powder).
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm

plamenh wrote:
YBS is devastating disease or better said bunch of diseases. There was an outbreak two years ago and used Adenosan from Chevita. Works well but only if you catch youngster on time. Chamomile tea with honey instead of food is to keep them alive for day or two until stabilized and Adenosan in bread balls (it’s a powder).

Thank you for this information, Plamenh. As you said, catching them in time is a major problem, as the disease progresses so fast. Most of the meds we can get here come from a different lab, Moureau de Chantilly. They make a type of 4-in-1 med, called C.C.P. Tablets. I was thinking of getting some. I know they're only really meant for a first attack on an unknown disease until there is a definite diagnosis, but it could make a difference, even if for just one bird in ten. Or would you say definitely go for Adenosan instead?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Look at me, I'm standing! (Photo taken an hour ago)

No rest for the wicked - Page 5 DSCNB2877-cc-r434

She's also starting to walk, albeit with a limp. Way to go, Penny!
Thrilled Happy Dance Hip Hip Hooray Happy Dance Thrilled
Back to top Go down
pigeonwriter
Special Pigeon Angel
pigeonwriter

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Teresa - this is wonderful news - at least one. I am so sorry again for your other lost rescue bird :( . I really don't want to hear these kind of news again but I fear it will never end. So sad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyala-arts.com
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 4:41 pm

No rest for the wicked - Page 5 686336 for the updated photo of Penny, Teresa. It's great to hear that she's doing so well!
Such a pretty little pij. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 458406
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Way to go Penny. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Fancyfeathers wrote:

I hope you spot Noel.

Oh Cindy, he's ok!!! Thrilled I saw him today! YESS!!
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Teresa wrote:
Fancyfeathers wrote:

I hope you spot Noel.

Oh Cindy, he's ok!!! No rest for the wicked - Page 5 26340 I saw him today! No rest for the wicked - Page 5 766985

I'm thrilled silly, Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 226817 This isn't just No rest for the wicked - Page 5 373410 It's WONDERFUL news!! No rest for the wicked - Page 5 98152

I've just replied in your other thread.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:46 pm

Penny has been released. There was nothing more that I could do for her, after the swelling disappeared and she started to stand and walk, even though she still had a limp. She was getting so impatient to go, she was running the risk of injuring herself all over again, the way she hurled herself at the bars of her cage! So I decided to let her go before the weather turns cold, so she can find her flock and settle back out there. The minute I opened the door she took off like a bat out of hell! No rest for the wicked - Page 5 193770 Cute Dove No rest for the wicked - Page 5 193770
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I've got a new squeaker, Rambo. Brought him back from the park yesterday afternoon, after finding him standing very still, alone. He was finding it hard to keep his balance, and he was very light and a bit dehydrated.
After warming up and having some hydrating solution, he was ready to forage, drink and peck me. Tickled Pink So I scattered some small seeds on the floor and he got to it. By this time he could walk and he was balancing a lot better:

https://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m381/Skbllz/Pigeons/Sammy/?action=view&current=DSCNB3034.flv

He eats and drinks quite little but quite often. He croaks/wheezes a little, and appears to have difficulty swallowing anything but the very small seeds. Mouth and throat are clear and a good colour. I'm guessing canker in the esophagus and/or trachaea, and an intestinal inflammation as his poos are quite mucousy. I put him on Flagyl and Baytril, and I'm adding a little crumbled boiled egg yolk and bits of peas to his food, as he's clearly molting.
There are a few small cracks on his beak and the ceres look scratched. I think he may have hit an obstacle.
Every time I put my hand in the cage he attacks me -- that's why I've called him Rambo! He's a fighter, just like Merlin, Ritchie and Noel, and I hope he'll do as well as they did.
Feeling great

Last edited by Teresa on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Teresa wrote:

Penny
has been released

There was nothing more that I could do for her, after the swelling disappeared and she started to stand and walk, even though she still had a limp. She was getting so impatient to go, she was running the risk of injuring herself all over again, the way she hurled herself at the bars of her cage! So I decided to let her go before the weather turns cold, so she can find her flock and settle back out there. The minute I opened the door she took off like a bat out of hell! No rest for the wicked - Page 5 16862 No rest for the wicked - Page 5 401707 No rest for the wicked - Page 5 16862
Appreciate the update Teresa. No rest for the wicked - Page 5 458406

"May the No rest for the wicked - Page 5 803589 s be with you sweet Penny"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No rest for the wicked   No rest for the wicked - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No rest for the wicked
Page 5 of 36Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next