Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hello from Bangkok!

Go down 
+9
Teresa
rattyfied
Capuccino
Matilda
pigeonwriter
Cynthia
AZWhitefeather
plamenh
Siam Sam
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Very puzzling... I've never experienced anything like that. I agree with Cindy that a predatorial human wouldn't have let them go. It could be a kid's prank, maybe, or someone doing it to distinguish the pigeons for a few weeks, but no idea why, except maybe to study the movements of a feral across the city and the extent of his territory... I have NO idea
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 pm

I suppose they could have set a trap, such as the old string tied to a stick holding up a box. It is a mystery. Big Red is already very distinctive looking. No one else resembles him. Even Baby Red looks mostly gray.

But the good news is Big Red's tail is visibly starting to grow back. Not much yet, but something is happening back there. If it keeps going at that rate, I'd estimate he'll have his tail back in about a month. I wonder if someone will cut it off again.

Baby Red finally showed back up yesterday morning, but I was unable to feed him, due to the presence of too many grays. Haven't seen him since. One that seems to have moved on was the aggerssive new baby male who appeared a few days before we left last week. That's good, because we could tell he was going to be trouble. Very small and sweet-looking but would suddenly attack any pidgee close by.

Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 am

Don't you just wish that Big Red could speak? Wink Yes, his tail will grow back soon, and he'll be none the worse for it. In the meanwhile, it will be a little harder for him to steer in mid-air and to stop, but no major problem.

Some pigeons are just more aggressive than others, even at a very young age. I've seen that happen with some of my local feral squeakers, who then grow up to become alpha males. Sweets and Boss, who would stop at nothing to get at the seed first when I fed the ferals, became exactly that.
I like that, because confident, aggressive pigeons are always the first to approach humans, and the last to be caught! Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 142829 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 219375
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 7:33 am

Matilda wrote:
I went and looked at the pictures and I think the feathers that look cut are the feathers that go over the tail feathers…they are a bit longer, which gives the illusion they have been cut. I suspect someone did grab him by the tail and his feathers released. The other possibility is that he is going thought a rough molt and lost the tail feathers all at once. I’ve had chickens do that.

Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am

At least a quick grab would be less bizarre than someone cutting the tail off.

Some more photos from that last batch I uploaded that included Big Red's tailless shots. All of these were taken between June 17 and August 10:

Boots gives her sweety, Bruiser, a head massage.

Big Henry. He's been hanging around for two years this month, I believe.

Specklehead.

Lucy/Ichabod, now missing and presumed dead. Very sad

Big Red and Mint kissing. And then, um, exercising their marital rights exactly 11 seconds later. Laughing Note the spectator to the right.

Mint in the dining-room window.

An anonymous gray all puffed out and on one leg. Odd little guy.

Baby Red, with Henry and Ladyboy. He's come by once since we returned from the beach a couple of weeks ago, and we couldn't feed him then because of the presence of too many grays. Guess he doesn't find us that reliable anymore. We think he may be the offspring of Big Red and Mint.

Here's Broken-Wing Sammy, with Baby Red and an anonymous gray. His right wing always drags like that, but he does not seem hurt and can fly okay.

Henry lounging.

Specklehead balancing on top of one of the small plants. Note the small pidgee in the lower left with some white splashes on its face; it only showed up a couple of times.

Baby Red and a snoozing Ladyboy. Ladyboy must be about a year old now; she first appeared last September, so must have been a squab a year ago.

Broken-Wing Sammy again, and again with Henry and Ladyboy.

Bruiser and Boots, um, exercise their marital rights.

Mint strikes her best pose. Note her little foot just poking out of her white underside.

A new dirty-whiteish kid.

And of course, you can see all of this particular folder here.

Big Red's tail seems to have stopped growing, but Mint still loves him, and he's not having trouble flying. He did try to come in here one more time, but I turned him away at the door this time. I still wonder if he tried that in the wrong home.

Henry's still the king but has changed his habits again. Always comes by for breakfast, usually for lunch, but now he must have other things to do in the evening, because he rarely appears for dinner.

Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Love the photos, Sam. I love it/them
Many thanks for sharing them with us.
Such a beautiful little flock.

It may take some time for Big Red's tail to grow back completely. Disappointed
I'm glad he's not having any problems flying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks. Big Red's also learned Henry's trick of jumping up onto the window-door runner to ask for food, although he doesn't do it as often as Henry does. And his mate, Mint, has become quite the little attack pidgee. It's like she's his bodyguard. I've seen her bite down on the back of larger pidgees' necks and march them off like someone holding onto someone's ear.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 7:37 am

Siam Sam wrote:
Thanks. Big Red's also learned Henry's trick of jumping up onto the window-door runner to ask for food, although he doesn't do it as often as Henry does. And his mate, Mint, has become quite the little attack pidgee. It's like she's his bodyguard.

I've seen her bite down on the back of larger pidgees' necks and march them off like someone holding onto someone's ear.

That is too funny. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 321758 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 321758
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:37 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Who needs a guard dog when you've got an attack hen?... Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 321758
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Teresa wrote:
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Who needs a guard dog when you've got an attack hen?... Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 321758

Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 142829 Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 46723 Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 am

Siam Sam wrote:
A new dirty-whiteish kid.

The new kid in the photo above we've named Charlie. He stayed here Saturday night, which worried us, as that's stopped being a good sign. But he's still alive and eating. Just stayed the one night though but still coming around in the daytime. A funny little guy, kind of awkward and a bit misshapen. Male, as he gets aggressive with some of the others.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Very pretty bird! I love it/them

I don't know much about pigeon genetics, but he looks like a cross between a grizzle and a blue bar.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 am

Great picture, Sam. Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 142829
I love the different coloring of the two birds. I love it/them
They make a wonderful compliment to each other.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 am

A little odd: Charlie stayed here that Saturday night, September 3. Then not again until last night, Saturday night again, the 10th. What is this, a weekend getaway for him? Sunday night now, and no one here.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:59 am

Hmmm Could it be something to do with night life? Maybe where he usually roosts there's a lot of disturbance on Saturday nights...
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Or maybe he comes here to sleep off his Friday-night excesses, heh. But Charlie broke the pattern by staying here last night (Thursday night), so he doesn't have a little calendar after all. Left at daylight, then came back and has been hanging around all morning. (Almost 10:30am, and he's lounging around.)

A beautiful young creamy white one keeps following Big Red (still minus a tail) and Mint here, so it must be theirs. We think a female, looks so elegant. A few new ones have been showing up, but one that is especially hanging around is a tiny, tiny gray one we've called Little Squealer, for obvious reasons. Still a baby. We don't know whose she is, but she squeals like a stuck pig if she feels the slightest bit threatened, and she feels threatened all the time. We always know when she's out there. "SQUEAL, SQUEAL SQUEAL!" And flaps her wings in a defensive manner, whether she's being attacked or not. Feathers not even fully formed yet underneath the wings. Sometimes the other pigeons will go after her in what appears to be a bid to shut her up. But she gets a lot of food, rushing in, eating while squealing and flapping before someone chases her away.

There is an unusual number of white pigeons in the neighborhood now. All related to Henry one way or another, heh.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:03 am

It looks like Henry's been busy Laughing and you'll probably have to have a serious conversation with Charlie about the dangers of a mispent youth... Wink

I've seen a lot of pushy squeakers act the way Little Squealer does, either because they're very pushy or just plain hungry -- or both!
And the new creamy one sounds very pretty! I can see more photos coming up... ? Picture(s)/video
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Little Squeaker definitely seems the pushy type. Has even started attacking others, and still tiny!

We've noticed that Charlie will leave very late and then only seems to fly up or down to the next balcony. So late last night, I leaned out of our bedroom window and shined a flashlight onto the fifth-floor balcony below us. Sure enough, Charlie was staying there for the night. All of the units in our building are owned, but some owners rent theirs out, and the unit below is one of those. I recall an Indian family there most recently have not detected any activity for a while. I don't know if they moved or are just back in India for a visit, but I guess Charlie feels it's more peaceful there than with us at night. He was back up here early this morning. Funny little guy. Acts like an old man. Funny-looking, especially with what almost looks like an extra pair of wings, the way some feathers on eith side sweep up off his wings. Seems sad and lonely. But he eats okay. I think this is just the way he is.

Yes, more photos soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Well, last night (Tuesday night), I didn't need a flashlight. When I looked out the bedroom window, I could see lights coming from the unit below, and their living-room lights lit up the balcony. There was Charlie, all puffed up into a round ball on the top rail. There's no way the people there could not have seen him. I wonder what they thought. No food or water had been put out. And he's not come around here today; hope they didn't capture him to eat for dinner! :eek:

Mint has followed Henry's and Big Red's habit of jumping up in the window to beg for food. Smart girl! She and her daughter keep coming around but Big Red not so much now. Maybe he's on eggs during the day? He may have grown tired of missing out on food, as it seems he's always shown up too late lately. Too many other pidgees around by the time he appears.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I hope Charlie's alright, Sam. Fingers crossed
You know, it's just about possible the people on the 5th floor may not have seen him. Even though to you he was brightly lit-up, a lot of the light in the room would have reflected back, making what was outside very difficult to see.

I'm glad Mint and her daughter are visiting regularly, and I hope Big Red gets to arrive on time to feed!
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:33 pm

From inside our place, which is the same set-up, you can see the rail pretty well at night, as it's not that far away. But this is a bit ominous: Charlie has completely vanished. Last seen on Tuesday night, mentioned above, on the balcony rail one floor below and all the lights on inside the unit. Now it's about 11:30am Friday morning, and he's not been seen since. Checked the balcony below on both of the previous nights, and no Charlie there. And no one home either. I have a bad feeling they may have done something to him, although how they managed to catch him is a mystery.

And I'm wondering if this may help explain the mystery of Big Red's tail. Hmmm. Speaking of that, his tail is finally growing back in nicely. It seemed to have stopped growing back at one point, and I thought maybe it never would. But it's proceeding nicely now. And another baby showed up with him, resembling Baby Red but not him. Gray with reddish-brown markings.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Poor Charlie, I hope nothing bad has happened to him! Fingers crossed Circle of Love
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Charlie's back! One week after he was last seen. Looks none the worse for wear. Hungry, so I fed him. He's eating right now. I wonder what happened to him.

Well, now he's not. Henry has arrived and chased him away.
Back to top Go down
Siam Sam
Special Pigeon Angel

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Another new one has shown up. A male, judging from the size. Has markings very similar to Big Pidgee, the original male who nested on the balcony three years ago with his mate, Little Pidgee. A descendant? Head similar to Henry and Ladyboy's. Speaking of Henry, he's showing no interest in finding another mate. Could be discouraged from them all dying or disappearing.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Siam Sam wrote:
Charlie's back! One week after he was last seen. Looks none the worse for wear. Hungry, so I fed him. He's eating right now. I wonder what happened to him.

Well, now he's not. Henry has arrived and chased him away.

Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled Thrilled That's wonderful!!! Maybe he got put off by the lights and the noise and stayed away for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Bangkok!   Hello from Bangkok! - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Bangkok!
Page 23 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pigeon Angels :: Pigeons and Their Friends :: Balcony Pigeons-
Jump to: