Pigeon Angels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pigeon Angels

RegisterSearchLatest imagesHomeLog in
At this time Pigeon Angels forum is in an archive status. For assistance please log into Pigeon Angels Facebook by clicking the following link. Thank You https://www.facebook.com/groups/176239232007/?hc_location=stream

Hawk! And tailless squirrel!

Go down 
+2
Matilda
NiteOwl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Empty
PostSubject: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm

A short while ago I went into the loft and all the birds were very hushed and subdued. I knew something must have spooked them, but didn't know what. I was mixing seed when suddenly I heard a thump. Actually, it sounded like something hit the window screen. I looked out and up, and saw a large hawk perched on a rod that juts out from the top of my loft. The loft being under a deck, and the rod is attached to the deck. I ran in the house for my camera, but as I turned the corner to try and get his picture, he took off. Looked like a sharp shinned from the couple of seconds glimpse I could get. Not sure whether he was after my pigeons or the song birds in the yard. But as I looked around, I say a poor little squirrel scampering away that had had it's tail ripped off. Tried to get a decent pic, but the sun was wrong, and all the branches in the way. This is the best shot I could get. Now I know they need their tail for balance when jumping through the tree tops, and for wrapping around them for warmth. And for signaling to others. Can he survive without the tail? I felt so bad for him. The poor thing. Only a stub left. OUCH! Could the hawk have done this, or would it be something else. It wasn't healed up, so don't think it was done very long ago.

Hawk! And tailless squirrel! 003
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Poor little Squirrel. He probably survived the Hawk and maybe because you startled the Hawk.
I don't know how he will do without the tail. Was he bleeding a lot?
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:13 pm

Oh I see...it doesn't look like he was bleeding. Do you have Squirrel boxes in the trees?
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Administrative Member
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Poor little squirrel! I hope he makes it. If he knows what's good for him, he'll come to where he'll be helped. Smile
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Sorry to hear about the squirrel. Bless his little heart.
He sure is a cutie.

I hope he stays safe!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pigeonangels.com
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

The only squirrel boxes I have are the bird boxes that they decided to take over, and chewed the entrance hole bigger to accommodate them. I was thinking of putting more up just for them, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I feel bad for him. I'll keep an eye out to see if I see him around. I seem to think that we did have one with only a stub tail around a while back, but haven't seen him for a while. HootOwl remembers seeing him too. This poor thing won't have his tail to wrap in to stay warm. Going to have to build those boxes and get them up. At least that keeps them out of the wind and weather.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Matilda wrote:
Poor little Squirrel. He probably survived the Hawk and maybe because you startled the Hawk.
I don't know how he will do without the tail. Was he bleeding a lot?

Up close, you could see some what looked like dry blood on the end of the tail. They're out here every day eating the pigeon feed that the feral pigeons haven't been coming for because of the winter hawks. We get them all year, but worse in the winter the last couple of years. I think he was after my birds, as it sounded like he hit the screen while I was in the loft. My poor birds were so scared. They knew just by instinct that he was dangerous.
Back to top Go down
NiteOwl
Special Pigeon Angel
NiteOwl

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:25 pm

We're sitting here trying to remember, and we now remember that the tailless one of a couple of years ago was a mom, and had a baby. And it looked like her tail had been gone a while, as it was all healed up and all. But the tail does give them balance in the trees, and when they jump, and it is used to wrap themselves in to stay warm. Too bad.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am

Have you seen the squirrel today?
Back to top Go down
Luna Wolf
Special Pigeon Angel
Luna Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Poor thing, I'm just imagining losing a body part without being able to go to the hospital. Not feeling well
I think she'll be ok though, as long as it isn't bleeding. Wild animals are pretty good at living through injuries like that. Near my house we have a possum that's missing a foot, a goose that's missing a leg and a starling that's missing a leg and an eye.
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Luna Wolf wrote:
Poor thing, I'm just imagining losing a body part without being able to go to the hospital. Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_pale
I think she'll be ok though, as long as it isn't bleeding. Wild animals are pretty good at living through injuries like that. Near my house we have a possum that's missing a foot, a goose that's missing a leg and a starling that's missing a leg and an eye.

I know...that is troubling to me too. Hawk! And tailless squirrel! 319297
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:30 pm

If it looks like the tail has been gone for a while she must be doing OK. It's still sad though!! Very sad
No animal deserves to go through such a tramatic event like that. 🇳🇴
Back to top Go down
Joyfulsongtree
Guardian Angel
Joyfulsongtree

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 am

Oh no, poor squirrelly! Well, fortunate not to have been hawk lunch - but still ... Not feeling well
Here's hoping that s/he will be okay and that the awesome ability of a body to heal will take over and be the case here.

Jay, if it's any comfort, we've had one around without a tail for a couple of years who's made it thru the winters without freezing.

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
Matilda
Special Pigeon Angel
Matilda

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 am

Carol...I appreciate knowing aboput your tailless Squirrel.
Back to top Go down
AZWhitefeather
Owner/Administrator
AZWhitefeather

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 am

Joyfulsongtree wrote:
Oh no, poor squirrelly! Well, fortunate not to have been hawk lunch - but still ... Not feeling well
Here's hoping that s/he will be okay and that the awesome ability of a body to heal will take over and be the case here.

Jay, if it's any comfort, we've had one around without a tail for a couple of years who's made it thru the winters without freezing.

Best wishes,

cheers That's great that he is doing well, Carol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hawk! And tailless squirrel!   Hawk! And tailless squirrel! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hawk! And tailless squirrel!
Page 1 of 1